The Chat Room

Nicholas

What are the benefits of using a download manager over letting your browser handle it? I last used a download manager years ago. Somewhere along the line, I let my browser handle it, and found it good enough for me.

biometrics

What are the benefits of using a download manager over letting your browser handle it? I last used a download manager years ago. Somewhere along the line, I let my browser handle it, and found it good enough for me.
Multiple threads and auto retries.

biometrics

Thanks. What are multiple threads?
A browser downloads using one connection. A download manager will make multiple connections and each connection will download a different part of the file (and append the lot at the end of the download). The cumulative effect is to max out your line speed (as single connections/threads tend to be limited by some aspects of tcp/ip, especially long distance).

Johnatan56

A browser downloads using one connection. A download manager will make multiple connections and each connection will download a different part of the file (and append the lot at the end of the download). The cumulative effect is to max out your line speed (as single connections/threads tend to be limited by some aspects of tcp/ip, especially long distance).
Yeah, it's not really needed since your window will scale up either way, if your net isn't as stable it's probably better as they'll scale up faster, but beyond that if already maxing out, no point.

And note server has to support it, as in it will ask the server what's the beginning and end, then each connection will get a chunk from its section.

Biggest bonus is basically pausing/resuming downloads if server supports it, though FF can do this as well I think, as in fail and server supports, it can say just continue from chunk.

satanboy

From ex-colleague year-end function:

"So yesterday I got to Nitida, whole time driving there I'm thinking how do they ensure a safe environment when waiters etc are serving multiple tables. Stressed already, arrived there and had to battle to find parking. Multiple functions. Told them I'm just staying for a while, never drank or ate anything. Left when they ordered food. People are carrying on as if there is nothing going on
There was a group of about 40 or 50!!!
I was watching people hugging etc, no masks. Fuck you've got immunity at a restaurant."

Tribs

I was supposed to go to a client function -- outdoors. They tested all their staff before and one tested positive. They cancelled the function. That is the responsible thing to do. Luckily that one is vaccinated so not feeling ill yet.

Jings

Who has tried tooth powder? If so, do you find that your mouth produces more saliva while brushing? It sure does clean the teeth very well.

Tribs

Who has tried tooth powder? If so, do you find that your mouth produces more saliva while brushing? It sure does clean the teeth very well.
What is tooth powder? My brain has gone to the other side of the track