The Chat Room

Tribs

How does one go about establishing whether a given website or Youtube channel is a reliable source of information?
Excellent question. It all depends on whether they agree with how you think things are ;) If they back up your ideas - then they are reputable.

There are some sites that fact-check them. I use Snopes and some others.

Nicholas

Excellent question. It all depends on whether they agree with how you think things are ;) If they back up your ideas - then they are reputable.

There are some sites that fact-check them. I use Snopes and some others.
I'm sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you there: if I think things work a certain way [even when what I think does not comport with reality], I am more likely to sources of content that confirm what I think is true, or would like to be true, rather than what is real.

I could, for example, swear by a personal finance or science and technology channel that presents misleading information that sounds convincing, but the information presented would still be harmful, wouldn't it? Studies show that.....oh, then it must be legit.

Dave

How does one go about establishing whether a given website or Youtube channel is a reliable source of information?

For the bigger media sites you can try inputting the site at

Johnatan56

PXL_20211030_055817805.MP.jpg
I'm on my way with the rail. Strange not having a seat belt.

Faster to take a train than drive while also being cheaper in regards to petrol.

Lots of people using the new "klimaticket"/climate ticket, started on the 26th, can use any public transit or rail for one price.

Special for 25 and under plus since new was 700 EUR per year, jumped on it since just my public transit in Vienna was 365, and I was also doing weekly bus trips to grandfather for ~4 EUR each time, without counting other outings.

Besides one person, pretty much everyone in carriage is using the new ticket.

Tribs

I'm sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you there: if I think things work a certain way [even when what I think does not comport with reality], I am more likely to sources of content that confirm what I think is true, or would like to be true, rather than what is real.

I could, for example, swear by a personal finance or science and technology channel that presents misleading information that sounds convincing, but the information presented would still be harmful, wouldn't it? Studies show that.....oh, then it must be legit.
Sorry my joke was a bit too subtle.

Johnatan56

Still want to find Amarula in Europe for something that isn't triple the price it should be, will probably have bottles expire though before I finish since supposedly 6 months after open.