The Chat Room

Jings

Do you think that living with the person you love for an extended period before considering marriage is helpful?
What's the most common reason people want to enter marriage these days? My husband and I were together eight years before tying the knot. I didn't want to get married but he wanted "peace of mind" so finally conceded. Makes little difference to me, except maybe legally like spousal immunity (jk).

Who is getting married?

Nicholas

There is no point in marriage, it belongs in the past.
Hmmmmmm......

/grind
/whir
/clickity-clack

I agree.

I don't think that my partner belongs to me, either, so if she wants to go and copulate with someone else, I don't see a problem with that. Hypothetically speaking.

Nicholas

What's the most common reason people want to enter marriage these days? My husband and I were together eight years before tying the knot. I didn't want to get married but he wanted "peace of mind" so finally conceded. Makes little difference to me, except maybe legally like spousal immunity (jk).

Who is getting married?
Lots of people, all over the world.

Johnatan56

Disagree, it's a case of you officially announcing to the world that you're together, before that it's you two keeping it to yourselves.
I wouldn't get married without living together for a few years though, it's a lot of work to divorce. Don't see the need to get married if you don't want to though, just makes things easier in terms of law/inheritance (e.g. what happens if spouse passes away in regards to pension payout for government? Lots of rules here in the last few years helping with defining spouse, still easiest just married), etc.

I disagree with giant weddings, should be smaller, personal thing.

Would not be happy with partner sleeping with others, note I said partner, not wife, as in that includes before marriage if you are together.

Jings

Hmmmmmm......

/grind
/whir
/clickity-clack

I agree.

I don't think that my partner belongs to me, either, so if she wants to go and copulate with someone else, I don't see a problem with that. Hypothetically speaking.

Multiple partners is considered risky behaviour. Condoms are the best protection but not 100% safe. Never mind that they offer no protection at all against pubic lice.