The 2022 F1 Thread

EADC

The odd thing is that they love Verstappen, hence it makes you think race plays a part in this. I'm talking about Sasha Martinengo's fans.

Verstappen is also quite obviously a product of wealth (most F1 drivers are) and you sense very conservative as well.

It would be silly to think it doesn't. But doesn't really matter in the end.

Blantyre

Sasha punted himself as a F1 guru. I hate people like that. He can fuck right off (fans and all).

He's at best a very passionate F1 fan. He gets away with it because he's in SA where there are very few people connected to F1 insiders (those that are are likely not involved in media work). They are probably the staff of Ferrari, Mercedes etc.

He just throws in some technical jargon which on a surface level, can fool people in SA into thinking that he's a guru. F1 has a sizable following in SA but I wouldn't say it's fanatical to the extent that fans would listen closely to his technical arguments and bother to scrutinize as they would for cricket or rugby.

He'd have been exposed long ago if he was competing with people like Will Buxton.

I used to be a fan of his work but that started changing once he made his right-wing political views known and also praised the work of a known Apartheid apologist from my community.

EADC

I'm pretty sure it is, you only have to see the dislike for Hamilton at MyBB and how a number of those haters have right wing views in other topics.

That must be a pleasant place to visit

Rudolph Hart

I don’t like Hamilton much, mostly because he’s a Pom and I just get tired of how the English commentators shove every mediocre English driver down our throats as being the next GOAT. A bit like supporting anyone playing cricket against Australia.

Blantyre

I'm pretty sure it is, you only have to see the dislike for Hamilton at MyBB and how a number of those haters have right wing views in other topics.

I'm not a big fan of Hamilton either and found him annoying in his younger days but he's matured a lot and dealt with defeat in a classy way after losing out to Verstappen. I highly doubt prime Schumacher would have dealt with it the same way if history is to go by. I don't need to be a fan to offer him respect and admit he's one of the best because he is by all available metrics. He was even out-performing the McLaren's he had which went downhill after 2008 and have continued to do so since.

Nowadays I just want to see him win because of how it irks the right-wingers, lol. Many for some odd reason think Schumacher won because of raw talent but Hamilton "does not have skill and wins because of his car". They seem to yearn for the days when F1 was a conservative stronghold and mainly followed by white middle class and elite people.

The fact that Hamilton's influence has brought it a much more diverse fanbase as compared to 15-20 years ago must also annoy them.

Dave

That must be a pleasant place to visit

By calling them out for their bigotry and veiled racism (or even just idiotic hatred) I'm now considered a Hamilton fan over there. While I always had drivers I wouldn't support but were happy to see the majority do well, I didn't/don't really have a favourite driver but am pushed into a corner to make it look like I do.

EADC

By calling them out for their bigotry and veiled racism (or even just idiotic hatred) I'm now considered a Hamilton fan over there. While I always had drivers I wouldn't support but were happy to see the majority do well, I didn't/don't really have a favourite driver but am pushed into a corner to make it look like I do.

I want to go look but I imagine it would be quite infuriating.

Because recognition automatically makes a you fan, so silly but anyway keep up the good fight.

EADC

Lol he completely outperformed Lewis this weekend

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

To come 5th in a Mercedes is quite embarrassing.

Behind the Ferrari's I would be ashamed to show up at the next race.

At least Lewis has 7 World Titles.

This is clearly not meant to be taken serious.

Sinbad

When did he last race? 2016? 2017? I thought we were talking present tense.

Also, the guy was GP2 champion iirc, so has to be at least a step up from mediocre.
Alex albon

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk