Tech News

wizardofid

I have a GTX 1060.
If nothing else, I get a rendering boost in Daz 3D and Blender.
The name begins with the letters "nV", too. 🤪 [my initials if you exclude my middle name]
Another 3d modeler :p I am still using softimage XSI, prefer the old school BSP layout. Have a 1660, no need for a RTX game have one RTX game in my library shadow of the tomb raider. Besides nvidia prices is nuts for the 4000 series and the 4070 er 4080. The game engine I use the 1660 is plently.

Johnatan56

Watched the video last night. To be honest I would skip the first, second and maybe if there is a 3rd, after that I will seriously consider it, but they need to fix their issues with regards to poor performance with DX11 and lower versions first, their drivers need to mature, as well.
I would guess by end of 2nd gen their cards will be good enough for all DX9 titles at high frame rates as well (from benchmarks I can see, DX9 is still playable for everything anyways), that's 2024, and at that point you just throw enough compute at it and it's fine.

wizardofid

I would guess by end of 2nd gen their cards will be good enough for all DX9 titles at high frame rates as well (from benchmarks I can see, DX9 is still playable for everything anyways), that's 2024, and at that point you just throw enough compute at it and it's fine.
Yeah but the problem is, ARC GPU's has no hardware support for below DX12, dx 11 and lower is converted and process to run under DX12. They are essentially emulating older DX versions under DX12. The extra steps really slows things down. Second problem you need resize bar intel or SAM amd, it isn't like nvidia or amd doesn't make use of it, the impact without it isn't as bad as with ARC GPU's.

The architect is nice and all but it has some limitation, like new hardware requirement. This can and will likely impact their sales. However if intel plays it right, they could potentially gain more market share, considering all the retarded stunts nvidia pulled with the 4000 series cards. Bit annoying that people are still going to buy 4090's regardless of the price.

Baxteen

I have never been a fan of paying the early adopter tax.
and it feels like ARC, intel 12th Gen, and even the newsest AMD CPU's have a little bit of early adopter tax.
for example the 13th gen intel does not seem to have the same problems. the conversion to DDR5 has been ironed out.

wizardofid

I have never been a fan of paying the early adopter tax.
and it feels like ARC, intel 12th Gen, and even the newsest AMD CPU's have a little bit of early adopter tax.
for example the 13th gen intel does not seem to have the same problems. the conversion to DDR5 has been ironed out.
Linus tested games live this morning, actually not a bad showing at all. Bigger issue for me is stability and work on older platform. Did an upgrade in feb this year, didn't have much of a choice. If the prices were decent I would have gotten a 3060, settled on a 1660, and on non RTX games and RTX disabled games 20- 35% +- increase in speed of the 3060, is decent, but meh the huge price difference at the time. If I didn't have to get a new case (old case cooler master CM II), was falling apart. PSU was 10 years old upgraded to a 240gig SSD (old one was down to 70%- 80% health), because of the line of work I do, didn't want to be caught with my pants down.

If it weren't for the extra odds and ends and stupid GPU prices, yeah I still paid 7.2K for the 1660, would have liked a super or Ti but at some cards being 2 grand more, just wasn't worth it.

The big selling point is RTX if you don't do RTX or the latest DX12 titles like me, there isn't much point getting the ARC a770 over the 3060. Not that the a770 performs badly in older titles. I pretty much just have older titles, entire library of 500 games maybe 3 being DX12. Last game I bought was shadow of the tomb raider 9 months ago.

Baxteen

I know what you mean.
but I think the benefit on ARC spesifically will really be seen in the next line gen. community driver updates on this one is basically going to double or tripple the man hours available on solving other issues with older versions of Direct X.
so when the next gen comes out, the cards will legit compete with nvidia and AMD.
for now they kind of compete.
and that is what I mean with early adopter tax.

Johnatan56

Second problem you need resize bar intel or SAM amd, it isn't like nvidia or amd doesn't make use of it, the impact without it isn't as bad as with ARC GPU's.
Wouldn't really consider that an issue, resizable bar is supported on anything Intel 10th gen and newer (though works on 9th gen supposedly as well), and AMD 3000 series and newer (though there are 1000/2000 series support as well, depends on your motherboard).

I would hazard a guess that most even considering an Intel GPU are people that would have a mobo+CPU from the last 5 years.

wizardofid

Wouldn't really consider that an issue, resizable bar is supported on anything Intel 10th gen and newer (though works on 9th gen supposedly as well), and AMD 3000 series and newer (though there are 1000/2000 series support as well, depends on your motherboard).

I would hazard a guess that most even considering an Intel GPU are people that would have a mobo+CPU from the last 5 years.
IDK with hardware prices, the pandemic ect, I think threw a spanner in the works for most people wanting upgrade. You either had to upgrade to new CPU and board and ram or get a GPU. Don't think everyone got both due to the prices. Wouldn't surprise if a lot is still rocking older platforms.

I was suppose to upgrade to 12th gen ( have a 4th gen 4770K), but all the little odds and ends. Like the GPU and PSU, SSD, 16gig ram and case which was a must. Was a complete fkup. I didn't want to settle for less than an core i5. Kinda glad I didn't get 12th gen, 13th gen core count upgrade and performance increase is pretty amazing. Was expecting a tick tock cycle with the new p and e cores, but it is not. Will likely wait till DDR5 and motherboard prices settle a bit.

Additionally for the PSU I still ended up spending 1.2k for an FSP hyper k 700 watt, which was an excellent buy, it is pretty much the best budget PSU you can get on the newest topology. Really dumb time to upgrade to an expensive PSU with the first new ATX PSU's around the corner, jan 2023.

Baxteen

I really Enjoyed Luke's Video on gaming on ARC. Linus's video was just the usual shenanigans.
the Luke video had a bit more facts and real world issues highlighted.
I dont think I would be buying ARC just yet.
and by the time AV1 encoding is adopted by twitch and the like Nvidia and AMD will have it baked iN

Johnatan56

I really Enjoyed Luke's Video on gaming on ARC. Linus's video was just the usual shenanigans.
the Luke video had a bit more facts and real world issues highlighted.
I dont think I would be buying ARC just yet.
and by the time AV1 encoding is adopted by twitch and the like Nvidia and AMD will have it baked iN
Just in case someone is wondering.
Luke's presenting skills got quite rusty tbh (I know he's reading a script, but it sounds too much like it), he does a lot better on WAN show.

ARC is going to be interesting, but for normal consumer I think it will be another year or two at least before it would be stable enough imho. I am curious as to how VR is going to play on them, the alpha driver supposedly gets it working, but it will have to get most of its performance, and stably, else it's not going to end well.

Once drivers are good, good chance I'd swap over in 2/3 years, I'd pick either AMD or Intel over Nvidia, even if Intel sandbagged on CPU side for a long time, Nvidia's business practice with partners is just horrendous.