Solar, inverter, battery thread

biometrics

R20,132

R31,685

Excludes all the bits and pieces though.

satanboy

How does maintenance work?
  • We carefully monitor your installation. If something does go wrong, we receive an alert and send a team to sort it out, at no charge to you!
  • We also track the performance of your installation against that of other users. If your installation appears to be under-performing, we identify the issue and fix it.
  • Because panels get dirty, once a year we send a team to clean them up and do a general check of your installation at the same time.

Rudolph Hart

How does maintenance work?
  • We carefully monitor your installation. If something does go wrong, we receive an alert and send a team to sort it out, at no charge to you!
  • We also track the performance of your installation against that of other users. If your installation appears to be under-performing, we identify the issue and fix it.
  • Because panels get dirty, once a year we send a team to clean them up and do a general check of your installation at the same time.
The big risk (from my perspective) is that instead of relying on Eskom when there’s an outage, you’re relying on a company that’s a few hours drive away, and that’s assuming that they actually start driving when it goes down. Eskom’s distribution guys are actually very good - they go out in appalling weather and at all times of the day and night to restore power.

Getting rid of load shedding by placing yourself in the hands on unknown and unproven entity has risk. At least if your system is yours, you can get anyone available to work on it if there’s an issue, and you are (to an extent) in control of the process.

satanboy

The big risk (from my perspective) is that instead of relying on Eskom when there’s an outage, you’re relying on a company that’s a few hours drive away, and that’s assuming that they actually start driving when it goes down.
Most people are incapable of fixing their electrical appliances, so they will have to call an "expert" in (and almost none of them are there within 24 hours).

This system may not be useful for everyone, but there are many that need it. Most people don't have the upfront cash either.

Rudolph Hart

Most people are incapable of fixing their electrical appliances, so they will have to call an "expert" in (and almost none of them are there within 24 hours).

This system may not be useful for everyone, but there are many that need it. Most people don't have the upfront cash either.
I agree with that. Just thinking out loud really. And let’s be honest, if the inverter or battery plays up, you’re up shit creek without a paddle unless you have access to a spare to swap out.

The caveat of always having a backup system applies to all the choices.

biometrics

I’m getting the new Sunsynk Powerlynk XL (Lifelynk in the UK). 5kW inverter and 5kWh battery all-in-one unit so installation is much easier. About 90cm tall.

IMG_0724.jpeg

Rudolph Hart

I’m getting the new Sunsynk Powerlynk XL (Lifelynk in the UK). 5kW inverter and 5kWh battery all-in-one unit so installation is much easier. About 90cm tall.

View attachment 40328
I like the concept of a single unit like that. Can it handle an extra battery if needed?