Solar, inverter, battery thread

biometrics

So with the experience of nearly six months and an early winter, if budget was not an issue, I'd add another 10 kWh batteries (for total 20 kWh) and triple my solar from 7kW to 21 kW. And this is for a two person WFH household.

satanboy

So with the experience of nearly six months and an early winter, if budget was not an issue, I'd add another 10 kWh batteries (for total 20 kWh) and triple my solar from 7kW to 21 kW. And this is for a two person WFH household.
and how much more would that have cost?

biometrics

and how much more would that have cost?
About R140k more, so R350k rather than R210k. But that means even in the worst of winter I’d get a full charge every day. During summer my export would be substantial.

But at about R300 grid usage a month in winter it wouldn’t make financial sense as long as the grid is available a few hours every day. I imported 105 kWh last month. I’ve got my inverter set to never go below 40% unless there is no grid. So optimised for availability rather than saving.

Last edited:

Arzy

Will consider adding more panels at the end of the year and another battery.

As it stands I'm producing 62% of my daily consumption, want to see what that improves to with summer sun. Biggest killer remains the two geysers.

As it happens though I can't say how effective my setup is for loadshedding as our power hasn't been cut since the 27th of March.

biometrics

Will consider adding more panels at the end of the year and another battery.

As it stands I'm producing 62% of my daily consumption, want to see what that improves to with summer sun. Biggest killer remains the two geysers.

As it happens though I can't say how effective my setup is for loadshedding as our power hasn't been cut since the 27th of March.
Also have two, I turned one geyser off and put them on timers to only heat from 9am to 5pm. It retains enough hear overnight to shower before 9am if I want to.

SauRoN

@SauRoN, saw your post on sagamer, what is your current setup?

Just added a 4th battery as I want to see if I really need more panels.

So far my judgement was right as it's still winter and I've had a few
100% charge days and zero Eskom usage without trying. |

So 6.3kWp in panels, 8kW inverter and 4 x 4.8kWh batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

biometrics

Just added a 4th battery as I want to see if I really need more panels.

So far my judgement was right as it's still winter and I've had a few
100% charge days and zero Eskom usage without trying. |

So 6.3kWp in panels, 8kW inverter and 4 x 4.8kWh batteries.

Ok, about the same except for my 10kWh batteries.

I recon you are right, more storage is the way to go.

I set my system for availability rather than savings a few months ago. 40% minimum SoC unless there is no sun or grid. June was a crap month but July was pretty good (422kW PV vs 92 kW import).

Last edited:

SauRoN

Ok, about the same except for my 10kWh batteries.

I recon you are right, more storage is the way to go.

I set my system for availability rather than savings a few months ago. 40% minimum SoC unless there is no sun or grid. June was a crap month but July was pretty good (422kW PV vs 92 kW import).

I only need 10% for a 4 hour load shed in the dark so mine is set to 25% across the board and never had an issue.

Tonight I thought the inverter shit the bed, meanwhile something in the oven died and tripped the main switch. Fortunately my last pizza was just done.

SauRoN

@Tinuva you've got 20kWh battery, right? What is the rest of the specs? How much do you import?

I mean this is a how long is a piece of string question. I used the air con heaters quite liberally through June and July so I paid Eskom quite a bit more than usual.
L
a307b810bac7e8e931e46397e8d46616.jpg

7fbb7233bed84aaab6832843f4b0bd90.jpg

Compared to January.

1ab87bef7656d686ea4deeeee5b7ce9d.jpg

biometrics

I only need 10% for a 4 hour load shed in the dark so mine is set to 25% across the board and never had an issue.

Tonight I thought the inverter shit the bed, meanwhile something in the oven died and tripped the main switch. Fortunately my last pizza was just done.

In the past year+ in both Hermanus (@Spizz) and in Melkbos there were 10 hour outages (Hermanus was damage, Melkbos an upgrade) and the Melkbos outage got me, inverter shut down at 15%. Therefore my desire to remain at 40% minimum. Works out most days with some grid usage, not a lot.

Edit: consider I have 10kWh

SauRoN

In the past year+ in both Hermanus (@Spizz) and in Melkbos there were 10 hour outages (Hermanus was damage, Melkbos an upgrade) and the Melkbos outage got me, inverter shut down at 15%. Therefore my desire to remain at 40% minimum. Works out most days with some grid usage, not a lot.

Edit: consider I have 10kWh

Yeah for sure percentages will change with need and capacity.

Oddly enough with 4 batteries I can go down all the way to 10% but with only 3 the BMS turns them off at 15%.

biometrics

Moving in a few months and want to start with a basic system, thinking 5 kW hybrid inverter and 5 kWh battery. Any recommendations, thinking stick with Sunsynk... ?

Tag11

Moving in a few months and want to start with a basic system, thinking 5 kW hybrid inverter and 5 kWh battery. Any recommendations, thinking stick with Sunsynk... ?

Depends on your household power demand, but I can tell you Deye is every bit as good (better I think) and cheaper than the Sunsynk, and I'm glad I went for 8kW instead of restricting myself to 5kW... so I have nothing on non-essential and it has made life much easier.

But as you said, you're looking for a basic starter, so doing a 5kW now, and adding a 2nd later if/when you need it is a good strategy.

My own research/experience only of course, I'm a newbie, but spent a lot of time learning before pulling the trigger.

biometrics

Depends on your household power demand, but I can tell you Deye is every bit as good (better I think) and cheaper than the Sunsynk, and I'm glad I went for 8kW instead of restricting myself to 5kW... so I have nothing on non-essential and it has made life much easier.

But as you said, you're looking for a basic starter, so doing a 5kW now, and adding a 2nd later if/when you need it is a good strategy.

My own research/experience only of course, I'm a newbie, but spent a lot of time learning before pulling the trigger.

Same price.