Solar, inverter, battery thread

SauRoN

Actually, it's installed outside eon the step and the installer and everyone else said they'd never encountered anything like it. The high pitch noise comes from anything plugged into the mains and is definitely not normal. Reckon it's the old houses wiring or something similar, but the inverter itself is silent.

And believe me, I've had other installers and electricians out to look at it and no one has any idea what is going on. So just going to try another brand while I have the opportunity.

Like a frequency kind of noise? Does it fluctuate at all or is it constant?

Sounds almost like the weird issue I had with one particular LED bulb sort of lighting up even though off and that ended up being the earth neutral bond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

biometrics

Sounds almost like the weird issue I had with one particular LED bulb sort of lighting up even though off and that ended up being the earth neutral bond.

@Spizz is now living in a historical building, one of the oldest surviving houses built in Her@anus. The wiring is likely not recent...

Spizz

We did the frequency test on YouTube and I lost the sound before my two boys, I seem to recall it was about 16kHz and it was coming through the anything plugged into the mains. If they switched off their computer and unplugged it, then the sound stopped. Same with other things like the Xbox etc.

As bio says, more likely down to the old house and old wiring.

Tinuva

We did the frequency test on YouTube and I lost the sound before my two boys, I seem to recall it was about 16kHz and it was coming through the anything plugged into the mains. If they switched off their computer and unplugged it, then the sound stopped. Same with other things like the Xbox etc.

Sounds like it's a good reason to turn off stuff when not in use.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

SauRoN

Hectic.

I’m no electrician but sounds like some kind of earth feedback loop.

I remember in a previous place having similar experience with my sound system always “clicking” whenever a light switch was flipped on or off anywhere on the same circuit.

biometrics

2x US3000b and 2x US3000c pylontech batteries.

And if you had to start over, which would you get? The installer mentioned something about the Goodwe requiring a more expensive battery? (need to read the quote still)

Tinuva

And if you had to start over, which would you get? The installer mentioned something about the Goodwe requiring a more expensive battery? (need to read the quote still)
I would go with pylontech again. But the US5000 now.

Goodwe the only requirement is a battery that is supported with a compatible bms. Highly recommend. Don't get a battery and rely on custom settings, it's horrible.

Tinuva

Which Goodwe model do you have?
I have the 5048es. I think they have bigger better ones. That said I would consider a sunsynk this time. When I got mine, the sunsynk wasn't on CoCTs approved list.

biometrics

I have the 5048es. I think they have bigger better ones. That said I would consider a sunsynk this time. When I got mine, the sunsynk wasn't on CoCTs approved list.

Due to the layout of this house it's going to be installed inside, so fanless is preferred.

biometrics

@Tinuva my installer says the Goodwe inverter requires "HT" batteries (if I heard correctly). Are your batteries?

Tinuva

@Tinuva my installer says the Goodwe inverter requires "HT" batteries (if I heard correctly). Are your batteries?
I have never heard that term before. As long as you get a battery that is in pv master app, it will work. Eg. Pylontech us3000 works perfect with bms comms and everything.

These are the brands shown for my 5048ES

bbc354ea881af442b1fe37156a0b471f.jpg

biometrics

Inverter
035990a7e3b474775a8614e4551e225a.jpg

Batteries
bbc633b3c5a77cc2912c3607f49bbb42.jpg

Thanks. Just got an update and new quote on it's way shortly.

So it's HV (not HT) for high voltage. Yours are LV for low voltage. The new ranges are all HV but the batteries are currently scarce in SA.

Apparently there is less power loss in such a system and cabling is easier.

Tinuva

Thanks. Just got an update and new quote on it's way shortly.

So it's HV (not HT) for high voltage. Yours are LV for low voltage. The new ranges are all HV but the batteries are currently scarce in SA.

Apparently there is less power loss in such a system and cabling is easier.
Ah yes all off that is true. Hv still new ish so why there less battery options available.