Solar, inverter, battery thread

SauRoN

We are two people working from home. I'd think this covers a major part of our consumption? (Previously 500 kWh/month but will be a bit more at the new house)

My consumption used to be 700kW-ish.

Now it looks like this because once you’ve prepaid it and it’s now “free” you use as much as you can to gain more benefit.

August
deef8ac48092f364a6b35a275c020c72.jpg

July

c17a700201b3ce9c725169e080497d75.jpg

June

34d23fc3ff749ee893f10788861917d2.jpg

That’s with 14.4kWh of battery. (12.24 of real capacity).

I get through any night just fine IF I charged 100% and in the day it’s basically free.

Most of the usage comes from winter and bad weather in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SauRoN

R1,000 difference between your guy and the another recommendation.

Then it’s definitely the price increases that hurt.

If it’s that close then the next step would be to compare batteries and their warranties and depth of discharge allowance.

biometrics

Then it’s definitely the price increases that hurt.

If it’s that close then the next step would be to compare batteries and their warranties and depth of discharge allowance.

Locally made Hubble batteries were popular last year. @Spizz what did you have then and now? For some reason they aren't mentioned anymore.

biometrics

My consumption used to be 700kW-ish.
The new property are two two bedroom houses. I'd prefer to keep the geyser going at the second house as I don't like the main house shower (in bath). So my consumption will go up.

Tinuva

In summer I have too much PV available. So now just run the aircons the whole day. Its free so why not.

Working from home in SA, the following is am must:
1. Solar or battery backup for loadshedding so you can keep on working
2. Aircon for your home office room. And if you have solar, its basically free power all of summer in cape town. In winter with cloudy days...I use the fireplace.

biometrics

In summer I have too much PV available. So now just run the aircons the whole day. Its free so why not.

Working from home in SA, the following is am must:
1. Solar or battery backup for loadshedding so you can keep on working
2. Aircon for your home office room. And if you have solar, its basically free power all of summer in cape town. In winter with cloudy days...I use the fireplace.
Yeah the problem with planning a system is the difference between summer and winter.

SauRoN

Locally made Hubble batteries were popular last year. @Spizz what did you have then and now? For some reason they aren't mentioned anymore.

Because they’ve all been stuck on a boat somewhere for months and there’s no stock.

Not so locally made.

I’ve also never liked the way they operate and I seem to recall their warranty isn’t that great.

SauRoN

Haven't modelled it but I'd guess I would be mostly self generating. There will be days I'll use Eskom.

Based on 500 kWh/month we need 17 kWh/day. I'll have 10 kWh battery to get through the night. While generating 7kW when the sun is out.

All a bit variable but I figure the more you throw at it the better. But fuck, really, R200k is my limit!

Oh you’ll generate a lot more than 7kWh when the sun is out.

I’ve peaked at 40kWh a day and easily go over 30 on a sunny day as long as I use enough power to make the most of it.

Only ever used tumble dryer as an emergency before now I haven’t hung washing since May. Dishwasher runs every other day as well and the aircon is on in my office whenever it’s even slightly cold.

I can imagine through summer it will be pumping all day.

200k was my hard limit as well, which is why didn’t go with 20kWh batteries from the very start, but now I’m already planning to spend another 50k of the money I’m saving and putting back in my home loan to add another 10 panels East and West and one more battery which should mean I have at least two more sun hours in winter and enough capacity to completely absorb a bad day.

And I tell you when the only indication of load shedding is noticing it’s dark outside or you happen to see the lights flicker as is switches to off grid then you quickly forget about the cost.

Projected over 10 years my system is entirely free. The only catch is that I paid for it up front.

Tinuva

Yeah the problem with planning a system is the difference between summer and winter.
Plan for winter. Summer you throw the aircons at the exces. Even if you don't use all the excess, just the convenience of not dying of heat in summer is a bonus.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Spizz

Because they’ve all been stuck on a boat somewhere for months and there’s no stock.

Not so locally made.

I’ve also never liked the way they operate and I seem to recall their warranty isn’t that great.

Yep, I got quoted R28.5k excl VAT yesterday for the 5.2 kWh one. Last ne I had at the old house was 4.8kWh.

I've now got 2 x LBSA 5.1kWh batteries (one installed, one in a box waiting) and as far as I know about these things, they do the job same as the Hubble did. There is a local stockist in Hermanus and they go for R25k including VAT, so a good price in comparison I reckon.

I sort of mentioned yesterday that I'm in the process of changing a few things, and have now decided after chatting to solar guy for a few weeks that I'm upgrading my 5k Sunsynk and battery to a 8k Victron, running with 2 x 5.1kWh batteries and 12 x 450W panels.

SauRoN

Yep, I got quoted R28.5k excl VAT yesterday for the 5.2 kWh one. Last ne I had at the old house was 4.8kWh.

I've now got 2 x LBSA 5.1kWh batteries (one installed, one in a box waiting) and as far as I know about these things, they do the job same as the Hubble did. There is a local stockist in Hermanus and they go for R25k including VAT, so a good price in comparison I reckon.

I sort of mentioned yesterday that I'm in the process of changing a few things, and have now decided after chatting to solar guy for a few weeks that I'm upgrading my 5k Sunsynk and battery to a 8k Victron, running with 2 x 5.1kWh batteries and 12 x 450W panels.

Why the switch to Victron?

Spizz

Why the switch to Victron?

The 5kW Sunsynk has a high pitched frequency which I and my wife can’t hear but it is driving my kids insane. We tried a Deye as well and it was the same, so must be related to the machine and I don’t want to take the risk that it’s the same with the 8.

It might of course be the same situation with the Victron, but have to give it a try at least. And the installer has stock 🙂

SauRoN

The 5kW Sunsynk has a high pitched frequency which I and my wife can’t hear but it is driving my kids insane. We tried a Deye as well and it was the same, so must be related to the machine and I don’t want to take the risk that it’s the same with the 8.

It might of course be the same situation with the Victron, but have to give it a try at least. And the installer has stock

Yeah I take it this one is installed inside which would make it problematic.

Mine is fortunately in the garage behind a fire door.

biometrics

It might of course be the same situation with the Victron, but have to give it a try at least. And the installer has stock 🙂
Oh wow, not something I was aware of or considered. I too can hear high frequency sounds my housemate can’t. We don’t have a garage so was going to install it in the main house next to the db. Will have to reconsider that.

biometrics

Just whatsapped my guy, he says they all tend to do that and also have fan noise. He says there is a more expensive fanless brand called Goodwe. He will find out about the high frequency.

Tinuva

Just whatsapped my guy, he says they all tend to do that and also have fan noise. He says there is a more expensive fanless brand called Goodwe. He will find out about the high frequency.
I have a Goodwe, it's dead quiet and rock solid. You can come visit and listen if you hear the high pitch noise.

biometrics

I have a Goodwe, it's dead quiet and rock solid. You can come visit and listen if you hear the high pitch noise.

Have you got kids, can they hear it? Was it much more expensive?

Spizz

Yeah I take it this one is installed inside which would make it problematic.

Mine is fortunately in the garage behind a fire door.

Oh wow, not something I was aware of or considered. I too can hear high frequency sounds my housemate can’t. We don’t have a garage so was going to install it in the main house next to the db. Will have to reconsider that.

Actually, it's installed outside eon the step and the installer and everyone else said they'd never encountered anything like it. The high pitch noise comes from anything plugged into the mains and is definitely not normal. Reckon it's the old houses wiring or something similar, but the inverter itself is silent.

And believe me, I've had other installers and electricians out to look at it and no one has any idea what is going on. So just going to try another brand while I have the opportunity.

Tinuva

Have you got kids, can they hear it? Was it much more expensive?
Well she 3years old so I really don't know.

If you have certain devices, they do send of noises. I have a 220v to 110v converter which is noisy even without the inverter. When the grid drops the noise changes. Also a noisy intercom. If I remove those devices the noise goes away. I blame them not the inverter, as they are noisy even without the inverter.