Pseudo philosophy

Urist

What's your philosophy? Spiritual, religious?
I've gone through many, what remains certain to me is that we're more than flesh and bone. The evidence of which is the most obvious evidence imaginable, you.
currently i'm at something like an octopus, or a sextillion-o-pus sticking it's tentacles into our domain, or a simulated universe.

Urist

Atheist

Nothing really special about anything. The universe exists. That's it.
Sounds like religious atheism, and spiritual nihilism. The bounds of the universe is unknown though, and does that include higher dimensions or only what has been proven scientifically as opposed to theorised higher mathematical dimensions?

Paul Hjul

Not sure the thread title is sufficiently joined to the question posed in the first post to really invite a rational and cogent discussion or debate. My hunch is that you are misusing the term "pseudo". "Quasi" may have been more apposite but it would still probably amount to a quagmire of misplaced and imprecise terminology.

Tribs

I am currently of the belief that we are energy formed into matter. We have always existed and will always. We become different things each time around. I also believe in the theory of multiple dimensions/universes/instances. My idea of time is also a little weird. I believe it is a human construct (my son has his masters in physics - you can imagine the discussions we have. He disagrees with me, of course). I believe our linear brains force us to believe in a progression of events. I also don't believe in good and evil. We select one but are capable of both. The universe exists in a constant battle to maintain balance. We are the result and cause of this. It gets weirder. I believe that attraction is based on the person - and not their gender. Won't get into that as it makes people uncomfortable.

My theories are full of holes - but I find that I am able to live with them.

Urist

I am currently of the belief that we are energy formed into matter. We have always existed and will always. We become different things each time around. I also believe in the theory of multiple dimensions/universes/instances. My idea of time is also a little weird. I believe it is a human construct (my son has his masters in physics - you can imagine the discussions we have. He disagrees with me, of course). I believe our linear brains force us to believe in a progression of events. I also don't believe in good and evil. We select one but are capable of both. The universe exists in a constant battle to maintain balance. We are the result and cause of this. It gets weirder. I believe that attraction is based on the person - and not their gender. Won't get into that as it makes people uncomfortable.

My theories are full of holes - but I find that I am able to live with them.
You seem more open minded than most, the idea of immediately disregarding whatever suggestions someone makes based on their own sensory experiences and conclusions that they've reached through their own perspective framework, the idea of cynicism that took hold especially in our own generation. militant Atheism and militant Gnosticism, same as left vs, right as if it's a shame to be a fence-sitter, or someone who admits that they don't fucking know.
Fuck... forgot what the point was what I was trying to make.
Comes down to envying the blind faith in a Christian God that most of my family and family has, and a distaste for people who want to take their bliss from them.

Last edited:

Urist

Life is short, maybe we should try to live life as if there is a God/s, wonders still exist and focus on the now. A fag, a shag and an ecstatic epiphany that nothing really matters as long as you get to suckle on the tits of life.

Tribs

You seem more open minded than most, the idea of immediately disregarding whatever suggestions someone makes based on their own sensory experiences and conclusions that they've reached through their own perspective framework, the idea of cynicism that took hold especially in our own generation. militant Atheism and militant Gnosticism, same as left vs, right as if it's a shame to be a fence-sitter, or someone who admits that they don't fucking know.
Fuck... forgot what the point was what I was trying to make.
I have been through many stages. I have been ultra-religious - to the point that I was going to be a missionary in Africa. I attended Church, Bible study, part of the youth leadership, in the church band.... etc. I was even baptised in the holy spirit. Then something happened that made me look at the Christians I was surrounded by. I was horrified at the duality of human nature (I am still naive when it comes to many things). I began to ask questions of the religious leaders - and they were not able to answer them to my satisfaction.

For many years I was nothing - and happy to be that. That is when I met my husband. He considers himself Christian (though not practising) - I am a bit more pragmatic. I got to a point where the esoterical started to interest me. I investigated Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism, and many others. The only thing that rang true for me, was that we are all connected. We are all energy. I called myself agnostic for a while - but knew it wasn't true. But it was easier to say that than what I mentioned above 😂

I even looked into the Church of Satan - and found out it was nothing that I expected. Many of their tenants feel right. Do what you want - as long as you harm none. This is very different from the popularised Satanism.

I don't believe in a god - but a consciousness of which we are all a part. Yes - madness I know - but I have no trouble with that idea.

Tribs

Life is short, maybe we should try to live life as if there is a God/s, wonders still exist and focus on the now. A fag, a shag and an ecstatic epiphany that nothing really matters as long as you get to suckle on the tits of life.
You don't need a God for wonders to exist. Everything around me fills me with wonder. Watching an ant at work fills me with awe. Doesn't mean I won't squash the ant though.

I do believe in living for now. I believe now is all that exists. You miss so much if you don't.

Urist

I have been through many stages. I have been ultra-religious - to the point that I was going to be a missionary in Africa. I attended Church, Bible study, part of the youth leadership, in the church band.... etc. I was even baptised in the holy spirit. Then something happened that made me look at the Christians I was surrounded by. I was horrified at the duality of human nature (I am still naive when it comes to many things). I began to ask questions of the religious leaders - and they were not able to answer them to my satisfaction.

For many years I was nothing - and happy to be that. That is when I met my husband. He considers himself Christian (though not practising) - I am a bit more pragmatic. I got to a point where the esoterical started to interest me. I investigated Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism, and many others. The only thing that rang true for me, was that we are all connected. We are all energy. I called myself agnostic for a while - but knew it wasn't true. But it was easier to say that than what I mentioned above 😂

I even looked into the Church of Satan - and found out it was nothing that I expected. Many of their tenants feel right. Do what you want - as long as you harm none. This is very different from the popularised Satanism.

I don't believe in a god - but a consciousness of which we are all a part. Yes - madness I know - but I have no trouble with that idea.
Church of Satan is a freedom of religion movement that I support, no-one but angsty misguided teenagers really believe that they should follow Satan unless it's for the sole purpose of shocking their parents. Been there, done that. Usually when someone asks me I tell them i's a christian because i'm not in the mood for debate. Yeah, there's a God, and christ is the archetype of what humans should be.

Urist

Atheism is a modern day stoicism. The end is only as far as your wrist, and from there on it's nothing. If life is such a schlep, why haven't half of the western self proclaimed atheists killed themselves yet?

Tribs

Atheism is a modern day stoicism. The end is only as far as your wrist, and from there on it's nothing. If life is such a schlep, why haven't half of the western self proclaimed atheists killed themselves yet?
Because they find purpose in living. Just because there is nothing after, it doesn't make now nothing. They just rely on themselves, instead of some benevolent being.

Fargle

Pretty much dog eat dog, social Darwinism and survival of the fittest.
The universe doesn't care one way or another; here today and gone tomorrow.

We are just a plague on a small planet doing what we do and we'll keep at it until we disappear.
Self replicating DNA with the fortunate ability to at least attempt an understanding of it all.

What amazes me is how few people even bother trying to figure it out and are quite happy to do what I call Eat, Sleep, Drink, Shit, Piss, Fuck, Die.
And although that's what it pretty much comes down to, there is a lot of cool stuff to be investigated and enjoyed on this little ball of dirt.

Herd animals to be sure.