Old Folk Remedies

Jings

Cherries for gout, cod liver oil for healthy gut and eyes. Grandparents, mothers, aunts and uncles swore by home remedies.

Which home remedies have you grown up with and tried?

Disclaimer: Any remedies posted in this thread is not a replacement for medical expert advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Jings

My mother taught me how to use iodine solution for back ache caused by cold draft. She would dab solution on a cotton bud and use it to draw a naught and crosses board on my back. I still use the remedy today and taught the other half too.

Jings

I love your disclaimer.

Ginger for upset stomach, lemon and honey for a sore throat.
Do you use fresh lemon or concentrate for the sore throat? OH tried the lemon and honey last week and said he felt pukey. Could be the concentrate is too strong?

BloodrayneZA

Do you use fresh lemon or concentrate for the sore throat? OH tried the lemon and honey last week and said he felt pukey. Could be the concentrate is too strong?
Fresh lemon is better.

when I was 21 and got sick with the flu, it took me 8 weeks before I used the lemon, honey, brandy and disprin. I had two courses of antibiotics that didn’t work at all.

Tribs

If you are blocked up it is really worth getting a nebulizer. Get some saline solution and Bisolvin from your chemist (it is a Bisolvin that you put in the nebulizer). Steam yourself as often as you need to. This stops the build-up of mucus which make you feel ill and provides a breeding ground for the virus.

Jings

Fresh lemon is better.

when I was 21 and got sick with the flu, it took me 8 weeks before I used the lemon, honey, brandy and disprin. I had two courses of antibiotics that didn’t work at all.

Long time to have the flu. Seems like antibiotics work for secondary, bacterial infections but not the virus.

BloodrayneZA

Are you sure it wasn't glandular fever?
I wouldn't know. Doctors would have gotten me tested but you know how shocking the medical care system in SA is - in the UK, they send you for blood tests to rule things out and I was even send off for a scan to double check on some things that were wonky with my blood test. So far after a year, I think I am ok as I've not been requested back for more blood testing. I was having issues with my hormones and food allergies causing a ruckus on top of that.