LPW #12: Last Post Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Correct. That's why I prefer my desktop PC and steam. At least I can download on unlimited cap (BT Halo 1 uncapped fibre)
That is a big help.
Initially, my fixed LTE service was uncapped, but was then restricted to 300Gb a month.

I t looks as though we have both Frogfoot and Vumatel in my area.

Nicholas

applied for a job - fast response and send off my CV. Hope I get this one job - it's only 30 hours a week but it's close to home and the kind of work I've been doing since I arrived in the UK.

Then I probably will do a bit of studying as soon as the dull throbbing ache in my jaw goes (just took 2 paracetamol for it).
I hope you get it.

Johnatan56

Going to be burning a lot of data, though. :-(

/Sips rooiboos tea
Data should be less than last gen though, since SSD.

The reason game sizes are often so large is because on HDD you want to optimize the load speeds so you have multiple different copies of the data that usually get loaded together. With an SSD that doesn't matter as you can read from multiple smaller sectors without the seek overhead.

1603875997487.png
Why tf would I do that, plus I don't qualify based on the site.
1603876032636.png
And that's an extra R110pm in fees for nothing while making e-bucks targets even more difficult. Already trying to complain with them not assigning points correctly so didn't qualify for the R100 Kauai voucher.

biometrics

Data should be less than last gen though, since SSD.

The reason game sizes are often so large is because on HDD you want to optimize the load speeds so you have multiple different copies of the data that usually get loaded together. With an SSD that doesn't matter as you can read from multiple smaller sectors without the seek overhead.

View attachment 8086
Why tf would I do that, plus I don't qualify based on the site.
View attachment 8087
And that's an extra R110pm in fees for nothing while making e-bucks targets even more difficult. Already trying to complain with them not assigning points correctly so didn't qualify for the R100 Kauai voucher.
I’ve given up on eBucks. Rules and rewards getting crappier every year and since Covid I don’t drive much and don’t go to filthy Checkers.

satanboy

I’ve given up on eBucks. Rules and rewards getting crappier every year and since Covid I don’t drive much and don’t go to filthy Checkers.
The same-day delivery service is better than the store experience. Can't you use that?

biometrics

The same-day delivery service is better than the store experience. Can't you use that?
Not available here. In any case Woolies has most things I need.

I've always found Checkers dirty. They don't clean their trolleys or baskets. Sometimes it's quite disgusting.

Johnatan56

Well August I managed R130 in e-bucks and R100 Kauai, so covered the banking fees.
September was a "mere" R80, and then just the smoothy from Kauai, so about R50, so banking fees at R90 for card and savings.

The main reason I signed up for Premiere was the petrol cash back, since pay for two cars petrol usage with one going to town every weekday, other century city, but since lock down that's no longer true. Just haven't dropped a tier due to the effort/sign up fee, plus will probably start up petrol again next month or the month after, depending, so will start easily breaking even again.

@Nicholas another aside for Xbox S:
Because the Xbox Series S is aiming for a 1440p resolution rather than the full 4K of the Series X, the console won't have to download massive 4K textures. Ronald theorizes that this will shrink the size of games on the console by as much as 30 percent.
So if net caps, Xbox series S might be better, but at 300GB you should generally be fine.
And again, should hopefully also be reduced by SSD vs HDD as they can take advantage of how HDD stores the game.

I do wonder if Steam will bring in something like that, that you can select you have an SSD and want the SSD version of a game to reduce game size. Steam is at least nice enough to allow devs to build their games to use optional 4k texture and cinematic packs as download addons (e.g. Shadow of War).

satanboy

Not available here. In any case Woolies has most things I need.

I've always found Checkers dirty. They don't clean their trolleys or baskets. Sometimes it's quite disgusting.
Canal Walk Checkers look better than Woolies in some areas.
Wasn't always the case.
And the cats love the paper bags.

biometrics

Well August I managed R130 in e-bucks and R100 Kauai, so covered the banking fees.
September was a "mere" R80, and then just the smoothy from Kauai, so about R50, so banking fees at R90 for card and savings.
Used to get R2,000 to R3,000 a month, now down to R1,000 and that's if I play their game.

Now I'm doing nothing and gone down many levels. Proably earned about R400 this month for Takealot and something called Smart Spend, don't even know what it is.

Covers the banking fees I suppose.

Tired of them changing the rules and lowering the earn. Not worth my effort anymore. I'll take whatever I get but not jumping through hoops anymore.

biometrics

Canal Walk Checkers look better than Woolies in some areas.
Wasn't always the case.
And the cats love the paper bags.
The revamped Checkers' inside are ok, but the baskets and trolleys aren't cleaned. Gross.

Last edited:

Tribs

One store permanently has a guy standing outside with a cloth and soapy water and wipes it down and then sanitizers it

Johnatan56

Used to get R2,000 to R3,000 a month, now down to R1,000 and that's if I play their game.

Now I'm doing nothing and gone down many levels. Proably earned about R400 this month for Takealot and something called Smart Spend, don't even know what it is.

Covers the banking fees I suppose.

Tired of them changing the rules and lowering the earn. Not worth my effort anymore. I'll take whatever I get but not jumping through hoops anymore.
I never jumped through hoops to begin with, just driving about a minute more to tank car. :p
I don't even have close to the expenses that will justify getting R2/3k back a month, which is why I don't understand the premiere pre-approval BS. What I am more worried about is others who actually care about the status wasting their money on it during the middle of an economic crisis.

biometrics

I never jumped through hoops to begin with, just driving about a minute more to tank car. :p
I don't even have close to the expenses that will justify getting R2/3k back a month, which is why I don't understand the premiere pre-approval BS. What I am more worried about is others who actually care about the status wasting their money on it during the middle of an economic crisis.
They keep trying to get me to upgrade to PC but I'm not biting. Fine on Premier.

Status
Not open for further replies.