Is this you?

Seldom Bucket

I am, I believe, a happy healthy guy, in a happy marriage, staring down at my 60th birthday next year. I try very hard not to be a asshole: online and in real life. It's just not worth it, spreading anger and pissing people off. Being nice to everyone I meet just helps spread the love and makes everyone feel better.
Kisses and hugs! 💑
Damn Hippie :p

Grouter

Damn Hippie :p
I was born in 1962. In the 70's I used to wear tie-dyed T-shirts, a purple corduroy jacket, and flared jeans. I had hair down past my shoulders and a Peace sign on a chain the size of a small plate. So....ja.....:censored:

Paul Hjul

Something has always fascinated me.
Why do people have to pretend to be someone they are not on the internet?
Why do they have two "separate" lives?

Are you the same person on the internet as you are in real life or do you have to bullshit everyone for attention? It's just starting to piss me off and I don't know why.

I know I'm me.... who I am on the internet is who I am in real life, and those who have met me, can vouch for that.
Some people maintain highly segmented lives outside of an Internet context
- granted most such people tend to be dishonest and assholes but I don't think that the idea that the Internet itself is to explain for people who live giving facades.
My take is that certain tools allow for a person to behave more incognito and to take up an avatar or persona and that people inclined to do so will. Basically the Internet doesn't create identity duplicity (considering that the terms duplicity and two-faced predate electronic computers) but rather enables those who have a predilection into so behaving.

Having said that a degree of a person having different sides to them, having modified behaviour and attitudes in different contexts. I don't swear as much in church as I do on this forum. When I am publicly speaking and on camera I speak with a lot more unreservedness and qualifiers than in a smaller room setting where we dive into the details (and I swear more than in church but less than in most contexts). There is an extent in which it is absolutely vital for human beings when public facing to adopt a character of themselves. Even outside of a public profile humans tend to have a fairly deep and intimate section of their lives which is very private and the forming of rings as to the extent to which any given group of people are let in to somebodies core persona doesn't seem particularly daft.

- somewhat coincidently I was watching a great clip by Tom Scott about characters versus real people. The extent to which personas on camera
is fictional was canvassed:
whole video is worth watching

Tribs

Who I am depends on context and who I am interacting with [if at all].
I love the person you are. You have been a really great friend and you are the same online as you are in person. I just wish you could see how funny, clever and entertaining you are. You have helped me out of several dark spaces.

Nicholas

I love the person you are. You have been a really great friend and you are the same online as you are in person. I just wish you could see how funny, clever and entertaining you are. You have helped me out of several dark spaces.
Thank you, Tribble.

At Beatty House, I keep to myself, as I am not comfortable being around people with mental illnesses who are sick enough to warrant having to live here. I don't like being asked personal questions, will not talk about work, and answer any questions as succinctly as I can. This may sometimes be interpreted as rudeness.

I am much more comfortable [though more with men than with women] in the work environment, but still usually only speak when spoken to, or when someone has a software problem I may be able to help them with.

I open up the most when I am with my family or close friends.

Last edited:

LD50

I display multiple personalities simultaneously.
To which are you referring?

emam

I display multiple personalities simultaneously.
To which are you referring?
We know this but I'm not referring to only personalities, I'm referring to a whole life!!!

LD50

We know this but I'm not referring to only personalities, I'm referring to a whole life!!!
So the person is actually lying about who and what they are? How they live their lives and what they do etc etc?