Home Brewing

Snyper564

I crack the cider tonight been chilling in the fridge since pasturisation yesterday mmm

R

[)roi(]

Update on Kvass Beer
I let the sliced up and toasted ciabatta bread steep overnight; I used a thermal blanket to maintain most of the ~70C extraction heat.
At lunch time today when I removed the grain bag with all the ciabatta bits; which had morphed into a jelly like lump of bread; I squeezed out most of the water in the bag and then further strained the liquid in the container; but I didn't really have to; I was thinking the bread would break up into a lot of micro particles, but there were very little; for the most part the wort looks great; the colour of a dunkel beer; a little bit darker than this image.
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 14.14.17.png

Testing the gravity
To find out what I have got to work with I first tasted the wort; which has a mild and pleasant nutty sweet bread flavour; I then took the gravity. It is currently 1.010 which is quite low considering distilled water is 1.000. What this means is that the wort at the moment has a maximum ABV potential of 1.3%. Which probably explains why traditional kvass was not considered to be an alcoholic drink i.e. was safe for the kids to drink. Adding any sugar at to the fermentation stage naturally won't make it a kids friendly beverage any more, as that will certainly bump up the ABV potential.

Note:
I never added any sugar in the ciabatta I made; simple recipe of salt, yeast, flour and water -- meaning that the 1.010 gravity represents the sugar that were extracted from the bread during the extraction. Keep in mind that the grains of flours were not malted, so the sugar would not be easy to extract, and hence it was normal to see a much lower gravity using bread. With an all malted grain brew; you naturally would end up with a wort that has a much higher gravity. i.e. more sugars will be extracted because the grains were malted.

Next steps:
Increase ABV potential
To achieve this I'm going to adding sugar is two forms;
  • As plain cane sugar
  • As cane sugar reduced in a pot until it caramelises; a good dark caramel should help bolster the flavour.
I'm targeting for an ABV of at least 1.045 to 1.050 which should yield an ABV of 4.6% to 5.25% before bottling with priming sugar; the alcohol will probably jump another 0.5% after its completely carbonated and before I pasteurise it.

Taste profile
I'm also going to add
  • Two cinnamon sticks
  • Juice from three bitter oranges]
  • Outer top layer of skin from the bitter oranges as an alternative to hops for bitterness.
FYI.
Bitter oranges are extremely sour; on par with lemons / limes; they're roughly a third of the size of a navel orange -- hence you could substitute for a lemon / lime if you don't have access to a bitter orange tree.

Final boil
I'm going to do a final boil for roughly an hour with the sugars, the bitter orange and cinnamon; after which I'll cool it down to room temperature;

Decant into carboys fermenters.
I'll then decant it into two 5 litre carboys and will add the brewer's yeast. I'll then monitor it roughly every second day to measure the gravity; to predict the day of bottling. Should be roughly 1 week (more or less).

Last edited by a moderator:

Snyper564

Update on Kvass Beer
I let the sliced up and toasted ciabatta bread steep overnight; I used a thermal blanket to maintain most of the ~70C extraction heat.
At lunch time today when I removed the grain bag with all the ciabatta bits; which had morphed into a jelly like lump of bread; I squeezed out most of the water in the bag and then further strained the liquid in the container; but I didn't really have to; I was thinking the bread would break up into a lot of micro particles, but there were very little; for the most part the wort looks great; the colour of a dunkel beer; a little bit darker than this image.
View attachment 1169

Testing the gravity
To find out what I have got to work with I first tasted the wort; which has a mild and pleasant nutty sweet bread flavour; I then took the gravity. It is currently 1.010 which is quite low considering distilled water is 1.000. What this means is that the wort at the moment has a maximum ABV potential of 1.3%. Which probably explains why traditional kvass was not considered to be an alcoholic drink i.e. was safe for the kids to drink. Adding any sugar at to the fermentation stage naturally won't make it a kids friendly beverage any more, as that will certainly bump up the ABV potential.

Next steps:
Increase ABV potential
To achieve this I'm going to adding sugar is two forms;
  • As plain cane sugar
  • As cane sugar reduced in a pot until it caramelises; a good dark caramel should help bolster the flavour.
I'm targeting for an ABV of at least 1.045 to 1.050 which should yield an ABV of 4.6% to 5.25% before bottling with priming sugar; the alcohol will probably jump another 0.5% after its completely carbonated and I pasteurise it.

Taste profile
I'm also going to add
  • Two cinnamon sticks
  • Juice from three bitter oranges]
  • Outer top layer of skin from the bitter oranges as an alternative to hops for bitterness.
FYI.
Bitter oranges are extremely sour; on par with lemons / limes; they're roughly a third of the size of a navel orange.
Im so keen to try this next, thanks for all the details its interesting to follow where do you get bitter oranges?

R

[)roi(]

Im so keen to try this next, thanks for all the details its interesting to follow where do you get bitter oranges?
I have a fairly large orchard of fruit trees; bitter oranges, kumquats, navel oranges, lemons, limes, pawpaws, bananas, tangerines, peaches, plums, apricots, figs, apples, pears, granadilla, and avocados. Planted over the last 2 decades; Avocados e.g. take 10 years to bear fruit. I use the orchard to make my ciders + jams, jellies and of course to eat.

Substitute
I'd recommend substituting that for either lemons, or limes, or kumquats.

Side Note:
I haven't tried making a cider from avocados; but apparently its certainly possible (but as they make it; it's technically is a graf).

Snyper564

I have a fairly large orchard of fruit trees; bitter oranges, kumquats, navel oranges, lemons, limes, pawpaws, bananas, tangerines, peaches, plums, apricots, figs, apples, pears, granadilla, and avocados. Planted over the last 2 decades; Avocados e.g. take 10 years to bear fruit. I use the orchard to make my ciders + jams, jellies and of course to eat.

Substitute
I'd recommend substituting that for either lemons, or limes, or kumquats.

Side Note:
I haven't tried making a cider from avocados; but apparently its certainly possible (but as they make it; it's technically is a graf).
perfect thanks I have limes so maybe ill give that a shot. From inital tasting preferment you think its worth a shot?

acidrain

Just read that one can use gelatin as a fining agent. Anyone tried this?

Snyper564

On the left is bottle that has been pasteurized after 3 days bottles conditioning bottle on the right is 1day into bottle conditioning. I have limited fridge space so this is perfect!

15887711365011211748871440918610.jpg

R

[)roi(]

perfect thanks I have limes so maybe ill give that a shot. From inital tasting preferment you think its worth a shot?
Looking good so far. I added 3 sticks of cinnamon, 5 star anise (crushed), and 2 cups of sugar; 1 cup was dark caramelised in a pot, also added juice of two bitter oranges, and the rind of each. As it is it's slightly sweet (not overpowering), and has a spicy bread nutty flavour.

I would drink it if it was chilled, and hence I'm fairly confident it will taste better after some fermentation.

My quantities are as follows:
  • 1 x very large ciabatta made with 7 cups of flour; a packet of yeast and a tablespoon of salt -> final weight ~1.6kg
  • 12 litres of water; you'll lose some to the bread; it sucks up quite a bit
  • 2 x juice of bitter oranges and the rinds from both
  • 2 x cinnamon sticks; broken
  • 6 star anise (crushed)
  • 1 x cup white cane sugar
  • 1 x cup white cane sugar (dark caramelisation in a pot)
I cut the ciabatta into smaller slices; grilled them and slightly charred a few. added that to ~70C water in a pot, stirred and covered it in a thermal blanket with the stove off. Left to steep for roughly 20 hours. Then remove grain bag and pressed out the liquid, and did another straining of the wort, although that wasn't necessary as the wort was quite clear of any bread silt. I then added the bitter orange juice, cinnamon, star anise and sugars. I then boiled that together for roughly 1 hour, and now it is cooling; to room temperature for decanting to two 5 litre carboys, I may depending on the absorption of the bread have more than 10 litres?? I'll then add the brewers yeast directly to the carboys.

Generally if the wort tastes good; the beer should be good. I'll confirm in a week. Also the worts currently gravity is 1.050; 2 cups of sugar was all that was needed to turn a 1.3% ABV potential wort into a almost 6% ABV wort.

Rough timing estimate based on gravity of 1.050 and a target ABV of 6%
Should be ready to bottle by Thursday next week; and carbonated adequately to try the 1st bottle by Sunday; similarly to pasteurise it.

Note: for those with Hydrometers and Refractometers
  • Keep in mind that gravity readings are based on both the sugar in the wort, and the temperature of the wort.
  • Most hydrometers and refractometers are calibrated at 20C.
  • So don't measure a hot or cold wort; it must be close to 20C.
  • Don't forget to record your starting wort (before fermentation) at close to 20C

R

[)roi(]

Just read that one can use gelatin as a fining agent. Anyone tried this?
Yes; read my post on beer clarification; you will see that there is an article that covers in detail what can be used for fining agents including gelatin.

acidrain

Yes; read my post on beer clarification; you will see that there is an article that covers in detail what can be used for fining agents including gelatin.

Second article was where I read it but didn't say quantities. Missed your post but see you have instructions there. Compared to Irish Moss does it perform better or is it much of a muchness.

Made a lager before using irish moss but the end result wasn't what I expected, although thinking back, I did lift the bucket out the freezer which probably disturbed the sediment so could also have been my error.

R

[)roi(]

Second article was where I read it but didn't say quantities. Missed your post but see you have instructions there. Compared to Irish Moss does it perform better or is it much of a muchness.

Made a lager before using irish moss but the end result wasn't what I expected, although thinking back, I did lift the bucket out the freezer which probably disturbed the sediment so could also have been my error.
Both will clarify a beer / cider -- for the home brewer it is "much of a muchness" -- you can couple with with cold crashing to get an even more clear beer.

... I did lift the bucket out the freezer which probably disturbed the sediment so could also have been my error.
That would have done it; they simply help to collect the proteins together; and that drops to the bottom. If you accidentally disturb it; just let it settle out again, before decanting.

Its a good idea to have a tap on your fermenters and that tap should slightly above where the sediment would typically form. Also if you are putting in a fridge for cold crashing, then make sure it's slightly elevated in the fridge (on some bricks?? a small stool) to make the bottling easy.

Snyper564

Did you post the recipe here?
its someone elses on mybb ill go grab it quickly :)

Here

4L Clear apple liquifruit
8TBL spoons brown sugar
I added a teaspoon of yeast nutrietn because i have

i let the brewers yeast hydrate in 200ml water for 15 minutes before adding then added it to the mix, put the airlock on and left it in a dark place for 6 days till bubbling stopped and the yeast had dropped out of suspension.

then i bottled it with a 1/3tsp of sugar in each and left it for another week

Last edited:
R

[)roi(]

Esters vs. Phenols in Beer
When perceiving certain aromas of beer, you may hear people refer to “esters” and “phenols.” These terms are often times used incorrectly or interchangeably. The fact of the matter is, esters and phenols are quite different, though they can be present at the same time. Let’s take a look at some of the main causes of esters and phenols in beer....

biometrics

So I made 5L ANCider, similar to #558 above.

4L apple juice with Vit C, this was clear. Not heated.
2 Teabags boiled for 5 minutes, bags removed.
10g yeast heated, not boiled, for 20 minutes to kill it.
7g instant yeast disolved.
Added together and shaken.
Glove airlock.

My question is, should I add sugar?