Home Brewing

biometrics

Tasting the Coopers Hefe Wheat, not bad. The DME definitely tastes better than regular sugar. Four days wasn't enough bottle conditioning to carbonate it it seems.

R

[)roi(]

Tasting the Coopers Hefe Wheat, not bad. The DME definitely tastes better than regular sugar. Four days wasn't enough bottle conditioning to carbonate it it seems.
How long was it fermenting? I generally find that longer than required fermentation results in yeast "drop out" i.e. more yeast ending up in the trub than in solution; similar problem occurs when using a clarifying agent e.g. gelatine. The only other time I have yeast issues for carbonation is high ABV beers, but that's overcome with more yeast during fermentation. Another issue could be an incorrect calculation of priming sugars.

On average for Hefe/Dunkel-weizen beers with ABVs between 5% to 8%; the in bottle carbonation is perfect after 4 days.

Did your hefeweizen have any noticeable esters or phenols; banana and/or clove are very typical for this style of beer.

R

[)roi(]

Time to put some of the Hefe Wheat in the fridge I think. Bottled Sunday.
I put 1 bottle out of batch in the freezer after 3 days; standing upright, for an hour to rapidly chill; to assess the carbonation; if the head is decent; the entire batch is moved to the fridges.

R

[)roi(]

Brewed 80L on Wednesday... busy with another 40L today.
Need to brew quite a bit more before I'm off on my work trips in October / November; estimate I need ~30 crates in total to hold everyone over until I return in December. Fortunately friends will be helping to get this all bottled before I leave... whew I really need to consider buying a 100L brew kettle at some point.

GreGorGy

I did nothing this weekend. Well sort of - I secured a pine cupboard to move things to my garage. Put it on castors and it will double as the work surface for my mill.

I have about 6 litres left of the coopers irish stout and about 8 litres of my own grain stout that is really a work in progress. Trying to find the sweet spot in my recipe. So that means I will run out by the end of next weekend so I really should've done something this weekend. And the following weekend I can't. I may be on bottle store rations for a few weeks.

biometrics

Doing a grain brew is tricky in my study, steam and electronics isn't a good mix. So the attached stoep seems like the place to do it but I need to run an extension and setup tables and stuff. Weather looked a bit dodge to do that so I opted for a Coopers can, the Mexican Cerveza. Plus the recommended 1kg brew enhancer #2. Everything went perfect until the last moment as I was pitching the yeast... I dropped the packet onto the brew. In a panic I gave the packet a quick rinse in the brew to get the stuck yeast off it into the brew. Now keep in mind this is the only thing I didn't santise, but surely it is reasonably clean. I do hope I didn't contaminate it! I'm hoping that worst case the taste may change as Droid has indicated before. OG:

IMG_20201003_154734.jpg

GreGorGy

I wouldn't worry too much. I have dropped it in before as well. I will give coopers some credit - their yeast, when fresh, is pretty hardy. And if that packet was the only thing to get in the mix, then so be it. They package that yeast in a sterile environment and bond it to the can most likely with similar care.

I am going to Mafikeng this coming weekend. When I announced this and told the kids they're staying to look after my little princess, they said cool. House party. So I brewed them 30L last night for this coming Saturday. Kveik harvest, should be done by Wed, crash on Thur, keg on Fri, party on Sat. A bit early but not undoable.

biometrics

I wouldn't worry too much. I have dropped it in before as well. I will give coopers some credit - their yeast, when fresh, is pretty hardy. And if that packet was the only thing to get in the mix, then so be it. They package that yeast in a sterile environment and bond it to the can most likely with similar care.

I am going to Mafikeng this coming weekend. When I announced this and told the kids they're staying to look after my little princess, they said cool. House party. So I brewed them 30L last night for this coming Saturday. Kveik harvest, should be done by Wed, crash on Thur, keg on Fri, party on Sat. A bit early but not undoable.
I did put it on the kitchen table after taking it off the can, and I have cats... Next time I'll even santise the yeast packet as well.

Anyway, it's done. Hope for the best.

LD50

Look at you Pro beer making wankers!! Well done
This thread has so much value to it
/applauds

GreGorGy

...I wanna get the lager recipe right for normal CO2 keg. So, we start at the educational beginning - 10L.

Finally put this lager into the 10L keg today. Primed it. Poured on.

Holy Fucking Shitballs batman! This Lager is delicious. My stout recipe still needs some work (it is quite drinkable) but the lager is phenomenal. The colour is a little dark for a lager but the taste is just incredible. I cannot tell you how delighted I am with it. It was brewed around 12th. It sat at 10º C in the fridge until the 22nd. Then, it came out to room temperature until around the 25th then, back into the fridge. 26th, I transferred it into a clean container and I transferred that into the 0º C chest freezer until this afternoon. After much debate, I decided not to do a gelatin fining.Great choice. The first cycle cut out a lot of the muck anyways. The transfer to keg was followed by a gasing with a sodastream bottle direct to the keg. And then I poured a glass.

Seriously - I am way impressed with this and I am not a big lager drinker by any means. I will always rather take a stout. But this shit is beyond drinkable - it is the kind of thing one could crave.

biometrics

Finally put this lager into the 10L keg today. Primed it. Poured on.

Holy Fucking Shitballs batman! This Lager is delicious. My stout recipe still needs some work (it is quite drinkable) but the lager is phenomenal. The colour is a little dark for a lager but the taste is just incredible. I cannot tell you how delighted I am with it. It was brewed around 12th. It sat at 10º C in the fridge until the 22nd. Then, it came out to room temperature until around the 25th then, back into the fridge. 26th, I transferred it into a clean container and I transferred that into the 0º C chest freezer until this afternoon. After much debate, I decided not to do a gelatin fining.Great choice. The first cycle cut out a lot of the muck anyways. The transfer to keg was followed by a gasing with a sodastream bottle direct to the keg. And then I poured a glass.

Seriously - I am way impressed with this and I am not a big lager drinker by any means. I will always rather take a stout. But this shit is beyond drinkable - it is the kind of thing one could crave.
Can only wonder what it tastes like. The only larger I drink is Old Harbour made in Her*anus, doesn't taste like a typical larger, they've won several awards.

satanboy

Irish Moss available at Bevplus and Beerguevara.
Beerguevara are insane with their delivery fee. R240 for 5 items that won't even fill 1/4 PnP bag. R195 delivery on 30g of Irish Moss. :LOL: