Home Brewing

Papa Smurf

How are your stocks? I was down to zero, hence the 60L last weekend. I am so chuffed with the performance of the harvest that I am considering a 10L this weekend sometime so I can put more work towards perfecting my stout recipe before I up its quantity to 20 or 30L.
i still have those 2 batches i made 5 weeks ago with everyones help here
havent had any of it yet, too scared to try it out
so its been aging nicely now in a very cool spot for 5 weeks

Been living on Black Labels

I still have 3 unopened cans of Coopers as well, keeping them in the fridge as backup should we hit a 2nd wave and go back to Level 3 or 4

GreGorGy

Been living on Black Labels

Ja - I have been enjoying the Guinness life myself since the last emptying of my homebrew pantry.

I still have 3 unopened cans of Coopers as well, keeping them in the fridge as backup should we hit a 2nd wave and go back to Level 3 or 4

I am down to one - the porter - but the irish stout is currently in the bucket and should be done by Sunday or Monday.

Papa Smurf

Well Well Well
What do you know?
I bottled this 5 weeks ago, it was my own recipe I came up with

1 week later I cracked open a 330ml bottle to taste test

It looked and tasted like a leftover beer from the previous night, zero fizz

I almost cried and just walked away, its now been bottled for 5 weeks in total in cool dark place.

Just cracked 1 open now and wow I am amazed, brilliant head retention, very clear and tastes like beer. Not the best beer, but its beer and very drinkable. :)

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-17 at 15.30.53.jpeg

biometrics

I cleaned 40x440ml bottles today in preparation to bottle the Coopers Hefe Wheat tomorrow. It's been in the fermenter for five weeks I think. Guess we can consider it fermented and conditioned since it's been so long! Glad I bought the bottle brush some time back as it was necessary after the bottles have been standing so long. Works well. Figured out a technique on withdrawing it to not spray my face each time.

Now that my 2nd fermenter is being freed up I can make the grain weiss recipe that Droid helped out with. Pitty he has bailed on us.

GreGorGy

I need to get my grain stout recipe right. So today I did an experimental 10L. I know I said I had no capacity but the 30L clone (since I have modified it enough, I will no longer call it the clone) was done by Wednesday so its FVs are available today. Which means I can do this 10. I am going to use the harvested Ragnarok again. It has served me well so far.

biometrics

I need to get my grain stout recipe right. So today I did an experimental 10L. I know I said I had no capacity but the 30L clone (since I have modified it enough, I will no longer call it the clone) was done by Wednesday so its FVs are available today. Which means I can do this 10. I am going to use the harvested Ragnarok again. It has served me well so far.
I don't recall any of us doubting you... ;)

biometrics

I made a Coopers can today but with DME (hoping it will taste better now). Boiling water may not have been a good idea, like with table sugar, as it clumped badly in large rock hard clumps. Managed to get it broken up and dissolved eventually but I suspect cold water would have been better?

Anyway, will do my first grain BIAB either tomorrow or next weekend. Think I'll do the weiss as I won't need to clarify that with irish moss (which is on it's'way).
Quoting for the date Aug 9, 2020. So 40 days. Still burping occationally. Should be tasty!

GreGorGy

I don't recall any of us doubting you... ;)

There was one - myself. Holy shit - I brewed 30L of what will become known as EdenvAle and kegged it Thursday. Managed to get about 26L into that keg. I am sad to report that there is about 11 or 12L left. We drank it. My god. We drank it today. It is so smooth. I have to learn discipline. The last one, I kegged on day 6 and gassed until day 14 when I served it to rave reviews - it really gets better with time. I wish I had patience.

If I can hit the same successes with a stout, I will be delighted. I have come to accept that the Nitro tap loves milder beers. The stronger stuff I was brewing earlier just did not work well with nitro. It tastes great bottled gassed but nitro is shit on it. I gotta get my recipes 100% so I can push it at the club. Time will tell...

Which reminds me, did anyone here head to Brewcraft today and buy a grainfather?

Last edited:

biometrics

Ouch. That could be something special but it could also be a 3-pint pissup. One of my earlier stouts was like that. By the third one you start slurring. :ROFLMAO:
I think we were at the end of level 3 at the time I brewed it and more alcohol was considered a positive then. ;)

GreGorGy

I think we were at the end of level 3 at the time I brewed it and more alcohol was considered a positive then. ;)
My motives were precisely that: Taste, but not at the expense of ABV, given shortages and government's habit of flipping the rules as the pleased. Now, I am focused again on taste. The stout I made yesterday was simpler and the beginning of my work to perfect a good stout. I have not used DME in anything except coopers cans in the last month or so...

R

[)roi(]

And here is the batch I made the day before. Not as bitter, unique, tastes like beer :)

this is ROI's recipe, thanx a million

View attachment 7097
Looks good... mine is a bit darker (colour of the bottle); the difference is probably down to the darkness of my roast and also the darkness of the Belgian candi.

Anyway how's the taste -- hopefully enjoyable nevertheless.

biometrics

Looks good... mine is a bit darker (colour of the bottle); the difference is probably down to the darkness of my roast and also the darkness of the Belgian candi.

Welcome back. :D

R

[)roi(]

Welcome back. :D
Very briefly; see my profile post update for a summary.
In short it's been a very busy time, and it only going to get worst leading up to December -- assuming the travel bans are lifted.

I try to pop in every now and then; but it will probably be only on weekends.

Papa Smurf

Very drinkable
Little on the bitter side, very hoppy
I left the hops in the bucket overnight for the wort to chill before i transferred to fermenter the following day.

I now have hop socks and will use those in future and see if that makes a difference.

But otherwise I am very happy, tastes like beer and gets me drunk