Happy Meter

Sinbad

Off to NZ finally?
No, nz isn't going to happen. Their economy took a pounding, jobs market is not great. People there on work permits waiting for residence and who lost their jobs have been told they have to pack up and leave if they can't support themselves.

Far too risky a prospect at this stage of our lives.

So, safe option is UK - has its own advantages in terms of world travel etc, and reasonable care as you get older.

biometrics

No, nz isn't going to happen. Their economy took a pounding, jobs market is not great. People there on work permits waiting for residence and who lost their jobs have been told they have to pack up and leave if they can't support themselves.

Far too risky a prospect at this stage of our lives.

So, safe option is UK - has its own advantages in terms of world travel etc, and reasonable care as you get older.
You lived there before, right? So have you got residency/citizenship there or whatever it is called?

You have probably made up your mind to leave, but serious question, why don't you just move to the Cape? It's not like that shithole Joburg.

Sinbad

You lived there before, right? So have you got residency/citizenship there or whatever it is called?

You have probably made up your mind to leave, but serious question, why don't you just move to the Cape? It's not like that shithole Joburg.
Yes I'm a citizen.

As for the Cape, it sounds great but in my opinion it's like having a luxury suite on the titanic.
I cannot see a future for my wife and I in SA for various reasons that have been rehashed over and over and I don't see the need to go over them again... :)

biometrics

Yes I'm a citizen.

As for the Cape, it sounds great but in my opinion it's like having a luxury suite on the titanic.
I cannot see a future for my wife and I in SA for various reasons that have been rehashed over and over and I don't see the need to go over them again... :)
Well I've been banned over there so long I must have missed much of it. :p

Dave

I live in Her*anus, everything works great here.

You know I don't like to compare or have this sort of discussion, but you've never had loadshedding? Never had protesters burning down local authority or government infrastructure in the area? Would you be happy to be taken into the local state hospital for emergency treatment and then booked into a ward?

biometrics

You know I don't like to compare or have this sort of discussion, but you've never had loadshedding? Never had protesters burning down local authority or government infrastructure in the area? Would you be happy to be taken into the local state hospital for emergency treatment and then booked into a ward?
Pfft, who cares. Things are looking up.

Dave

Pfft, who cares. Things are looking up.

You know from a governmental point of view that isn't true.

Hermanus (and the whole of Cape Town) can't exist in a bubble, it's still part of SA and the problems SA is facing will still impact you as well, and with time (without a miracle of some sort) will get worse.

biometrics

You know from a governmental point of view that isn't true.

Hermanus (and the whole of Cape Town) can't exist in a bubble, it's still part of SA and the problems SA is facing will still impact you as well, and with time (without a miracle of some sort) will get worse.
Nah, I won't live long enough to experience that. It's good @Dave.