Facts that are completely useless

Nicholas

Why, oh why, would anyone name anything after Bloemfontein?

My only experience - and one I would rather not have had - was sharing a Formula 1 "hotel" with the guy who picked me up hitch-hiking in JHB (Zim to CT) He asked where I was staying the night so I told him a hospital or police station (both pretty safe though uncomfortable) and he suggested I share his room. In Formula 1, there is a single bunk bed above a double bed. I agreed but quickly claimed the single.

Anyway, guy went out, got drunk, and came back mal-dronk. Needed me to talk him down. It was fine, though irritating, until he needed to tell me about his "ex-girlfriend" and then wanted to hold my hand. He passed out eventually.

First light, I was on the highway.
Secret Grey College fans?

satanboy

The Iranian calendar doesn't observe February 29 as a leap day. Other calendars, such as the Chinese calendar, add a leap month instead of a leap day.

A leap month is added to the Chinese calendar approximately every three years (7 times in 19 years). The name of the leap month is the same as the previous lunar month. A leap year in the Chinese calendar does not necessarily fall at the same time a leap year occurs in the Gregorian calendar.

satanboy

Warfarin ((Jantoven) is a medicine to prevent blood clots) was introduced as a poison for pest control, only later finding medical uses; in both cases it was used as an anticoagulant. The use of warfarin itself as a rat poison is declining, because many rat populations have developed resistance to it, and poisons of considerably greater potency have become available.

scudsucker

Olms are a type of blind salamander that can live to 100 years old.

They look like eels with legs.

They can go up to ten years without eating. Ten fucking years.

satanboy

Scorpions are organisms which can hold their breath for up to even 6 days. Scorpions are called arachnids, which are members of the animal kingdom's arachnid class. Their modified lungs, which are known as book lungs, also allow them to hold their breath for long.

Tribs

Warfarin ((Jantoven) is a medicine to prevent blood clots) was introduced as a poison for pest control, only later finding medical uses; in both cases it was used as an anticoagulant. The use of warfarin itself as a rat poison is declining, because many rat populations have developed resistance to it, and poisons of considerably greater potency have become available.
I have had it several times. Seems my blood is a bit too sticky

scudsucker

22 October is World Wombat Day.

Wombats are unique amongst marsupials because their pouch is upside down (entry from below) which allows the mother to dig holes without filling the pouch with soil