Facts that are completely useless

biometrics

Both those facts amaze me.

I mean, all you need do is fire off a spaceship backwards relative to the earth's orbit such that it is stationary relative to the sun, then let gravity do the rest, right?

Except that you need to accelerate the space ship to the orbital speed of the earth to get its own orbital speed to zero, a mere 107,000 km/h

I get it, mathematically, but I don't get it intuitively.
Parker Solar Probe is now going at 635,266 km/h!

satanboy

Much like humans perspire, hippos secrete a slick red substance from glands. The researchers noted, however. that unlike human sweat, this protective hippo sweat is an oil rather than a liquid. The substance has been found to work as both a sunscreen and a sunblock agent.

satanboy

1701193951540.png
FRANK ZAPPA, played a crime boss named "Mr. Frankie" on an episode of Miami Vice in 1986

vigras rojara

There's a bloemfontein road in a london suburb called white city

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Yip, I know it well - near Hammersmith.

There's also a Bloemfontein Park in Moscow I think.

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

scudsucker

Why, oh why, would anyone name anything after Bloemfontein?

My only experience - and one I would rather not have had - was sharing a Formula 1 "hotel" with the guy who picked me up hitch-hiking in JHB (Zim to CT) He asked where I was staying the night so I told him a hospital or police station (both pretty safe though uncomfortable) and he suggested I share his room. In Formula 1, there is a single bunk bed above a double bed. I agreed but quickly claimed the single.

Anyway, guy went out, got drunk, and came back mal-dronk. Needed me to talk him down. It was fine, though irritating, until he needed to tell me about his "ex-girlfriend" and then wanted to hold my hand. He passed out eventually.

First light, I was on the highway.

scudsucker

I mean, a night in Kimberly police station was better than that. Hell, the night I spent in Krugersdorp police station was better than that, and that was pretty shite.

satanboy

1707305448344.png
A performance of the John Cage work Organ2/ASLSP ‘As Slow as Possible’ has a chord changed yesterday. The piece is being played on a custom-built organ in Halberstadt, Germany and will take 639 years to complete.
The most recent chord has been held for two years – and today a D note will be added.
👉
https://clssicfm.co/3SvqKc3

scudsucker

The US Supreme Court is not actually the highest court, there is one above it.

biometrics

> what was the song that an italian singer created to mimick american that became a hit

The song you're referring to is likely "Prisencolinensinainciusol" by Italian singer Adriano Celentano. Released in 1972, the song was intentionally composed to sound like American English without actually using any real words in any language, essentially mimicking the sound and rhythm of English. Despite the nonsensical lyrics, the song became a hit in Italy and internationally, showcasing Celentano's talent and creativity as a musician.

Tribs

> what was the song that an italian singer created to mimick american that became a hit

The song you're referring to is likely "Prisencolinensinainciusol" by Italian singer Adriano Celentano. Released in 1972, the song was intentionally composed to sound like American English without actually using any real words in any language, essentially mimicking the sound and rhythm of English. Despite the nonsensical lyrics, the song became a hit in Italy and internationally, showcasing Celentano's talent and creativity as a musician.

This is totally fascinating. Thank you. I didn't realise that English had a sound and rhythm. Definitely something to think about