Buying a house in Cape Town

biometrics

Looks really nice, but... woah, house prices have increased!
Her*anus prices have caught up with the city so have had a nice increase since 2018. My offer is a bit less than asking. Only half will be a bond, so relatively cheap for me.

scudsucker

Nope, they actually went down slightly (or stagnated) during 2020/21.
I bought a 3 bedroom Victorian place with sizeable back & front garden and a granny flat (granted, the wrong end of Observatory) 9 years ago for just 1.8 million. It is such a lovely house. It also has an avocado tree in the back... bonus every so often.

Probably on the 5 million mark now, especially post renovation.

Last edited:

satanboy

I bought a 3 bedroom Victorian place with sizeable back & front garden and a granny flat (granted, the wrong end of Observatory) 9 years ago for just 1.8 million. It is such a lovely house.

Probably on the 5 million mark now, especially post renovation.
stagnated 2020/21

I am not referring to prior years

biometrics

It is right on the "Salt Riviera" - very close to Rochester rd.
When I sold my Edgemead house in 2014 the plan was to move to Obs but it turned out it became really expensive and that SR side was really expensive. Nice houses there.

biometrics

My buyer’s bank required a deposit and they don’t have it. Since my purchase was linked to the sale it has collapsed. Meh. So back to square 1, house back on the market.

Johnatan56

My buyer’s bank required a deposit and they don’t have it. Since my purchase was linked to the sale it has collapsed. Meh. So back to square 1, house back on the market.
Assuming still have costs for failing to supply a deposit/breaking the agreement?

biometrics

Cheaper options:

Melkbos

Vredehoek

Borders busy roads.

Last edited:

biometrics

Offer made on a house in Melkbos. I'm expecting to get it... but now we wait.

biometrics

The above one?
No this one.

Two two-bedroom houses for the price of one. Going to rent out the spare house. They are completely separate from each other with own parking, entrance, braai, stoep, garden etc. Going to rent out the spare and the Hermanus house.

This house is three houses from the one we used to live in for ten years.