Buying a house in Cape Town

biometrics

biometrics

Looks like the first viewing of my house is going to be a sale. Hasn't even been listed on property24/privateproperty yet.

SauRoN

Take the second one.

That first one is a house or two down from a mate of mine who is in a place of the same design and while the 6 floor design looks unique and cool initial it’s a crazy place to live with.

I certainly wouldn’t buy it. No robot vacuums for you.

Second one looks much better.

Personally wouldn’t buy either and pay so much just for location when there is so much more value to he had elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

biometrics

Take the second one.

That first one is a house or two down from a mate of mine who is in a place of the same design and while the 6 floor design looks unique and cool initial it’s a crazy place to live with.

I certainly wouldn’t buy it. No robot vacuums for you.

Second one looks much better.

Personally wouldn’t buy either and pay so much just for location when there is so much more value to he had elsewhere.

I've lived all over, probably moved more than 30+ times in my life. Cape Town (Devil's Peak, Vredehoek, Gardens, Tamboerskloof, Long Street, Green Point, Sea Point, Bantry Bay, Observatory, Houtbay, Simonstown, Milnerton, Bothasig, Edgemead, Melkbosstrand), Joburg (Observatory and Brixton), Knysna, Hermanus (2 suburbs), Somerset West (3 suburbs), Stellenbosch (3 suburbs) etc etc. So I've had a good look so to speak. We're bored in Hermanus and want to get back to the city live. The City Bowl suits us best, much to do, walk around, take an Uber, hike into the mountain, whatever.

Problem is in this price range (R3 - R4m) more often than not you lose either parking or a garden and often it is semi-detached which I dislike. The first one is free standing, garden and two garages (going to need one for storage until I unpack and sell stuff I've been gathering), three bedrooms etc. The house in Hermanus is over two levels and each of those in two sections, so I'm used to moving my robot vacuum around. First one is not an attractive place though, but choices are limited. Btw those two houses I listed are neighbours. It's not six floors, not sure why you think that. I do prefer the look of the second one though, but semi-detached and paved back rather than garden. I have cats and they like a garden.

Will never lose money on a house in the City Bowl, so it's a safe investment. Bond will be 50% of selling price shared between two people, so actually quite cheap.

Last edited:

SauRoN

I've lived all over, probably moved more than 30+ times in my life. Cape Town (Devil's Peak, Vredehoek, Gardens, Tamboerskloof, Green Point, Sea Point, Bantry Bay, Observatory, Houtbay, Simonstown, Milnerton, Bothasig, Edgemead, Melkbosstrand), Joburg (Observatory and Brixton), Knysna, Hermanus (2 suburbs), Somerset West (3 suburbs), Stellenbosch (3 suburbs) etc etc. So I've had a good look so to speak. We're bored in Hermanus and want to get back to the city live. The City Bowl suits us best, much to do, walk around, take an Uber, hike into the mountain, whatever.

Problem is in this price range (R3 - R4m) more often than not you lose either parking or a garden and often it is semi-detached which I dislike. The first one is free standing, garden and two garages (going to need one for storage until I unpack and sell stuff I've been gathering), three bedrooms etc. The house in Hermanus is over two levels and each of those in two sections, so I'm used to moving my robot vacuum around. First one is not an attractive place though, but choices are limited. Btw those two houses I listed are neighbours. It's not six floors, not sure why you think that. I do prefer the look of the second one though, but semi-detached and paved back rather than garden. I have cats and they like a garden.

Will never lose money on a house in the City Bowl, so it's a safe investment. Bond will be 50% of selling price shared between two people, so actually quite cheap.

Sorry shouldn’t have said six floors, what I meant was six levels, they are all half floors in between one another.

The second one didn’t appear to be the same design, but maybe the pictures don’t tell the whole story.

I mean even having been inside an exact copy of the first the pictures don’t really say much to explain what it’s really like.

What I found with those places is that “freestanding” is really just a technical term as everything these is on top of one another like you cannot imagine.

But it’s seems you’ve done that before so you know what you are in for, so as long as you are cool with that go nuts.

It is great to be that close to the mountain and just go for a walk whenever you fancy and of course not much can beat that view.

The lack of parking and even proper wide roads and general sacrifice of free spade is why I couldn’t do most of the city bowl or southern suburbs.

biometrics

Sorry shouldn’t have said six floors, what I meant was six levels, they are all half floors in between one another.

The second one didn’t appear to be the same design, but maybe the pictures don’t tell the whole story.

I mean even having been inside an exact copy of the first the pictures don’t really say much to explain what it’s really like.

What I found with those places is that “freestanding” is really just a technical term as everything these is on top of one another like you cannot imagine.

But it’s seems you’ve done that before so you know what you are in for, so as long as you are cool with that go nuts.

It is great to be that close to the mountain and just go for a walk whenever you fancy and of course not much can beat that view.

The first one is more like 2.5 levels inside. So not bad. It is free standing but yes everything is close there. But a much better option than the other stuff I've been looking at.

Our house listed this past weekend and already had a viewing and they are putting in an offer. Not even listed on websites yet. So this might all happen quickly.

Need to go view and see...

Going to be awesome to just walk out the house in the mountain again. I used to hike Table Mountain a lot, must have climbed it 150 times before I moved away.

SauRoN

The first one is more like 2.5 levels inside. So not bad. It is free standing but yes everything is close there. But a much better option than the other stuff I've been looking at.

Our house listed this past weekend and already had a viewing and they are putting in an offer. Not even listed on websites yet. So this might all happen quickly.

Need to go view and see...

Going to be awesome to just walk out the house in the mountain again. I used to hike Table Mountain a lot, must have climbed it 150 times before I moved away.

Oh you haven’t actually been there.

Then you’ll only understand what I mean when you’ve experienced it for yourself.

You can see five different levels in the pictures alone. The very first indoor picture you can see 4 of them.

biometrics

Oh you haven’t actually been there.

Then you’ll only understand what I mean when you’ve experienced it for yourself.

You can see five different levels in the pictures alone.

Better option but pricier:

Edit: scratch, only 2 bedrooms.

Last edited: