Being deaf in a normal society

BloodrayneZA

I got inspired to write this article, after arguing with my inner self over how the world has changed in 20 years.

The subject of being deaf in a normal society came up, in a moment of clarity. I started to see the bigger picture. My mother raised me up as normal as possible, along with my younger brother and sister who both have integrated normally into society - married with kids and great jobs.

Me on the other hand, not so much success as they have. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for their success in life. I am proud of them. My sister recently had twins and I'm proud of the fact she has done so well with her life and I want her to know that. My brother worked hard for his successes.

I wish I could have done the same, only if certain people didn't hold me back and I kick myself for letting that happen. It's all because I am deaf. I've been told what I can do and what I can't. I've been told that I would not amount to any kind of normal because I am not like everyone else.

Unfortunately, you can't turn the clock back and redo life again. The only thing I can do is move forward, add supplementary courses and try the best I can.
Well, lets look at what challenges I've faced over the years in the job seeking industry. I think something needs to give way to support the deaf more in the work and job sector. Most employers and recruitment agencies do not make it any easier at all. Granted, there are a few good select people that have actually gone out of their way to help me out. The rest have let me down.

So I think I need to put out a few pointers to potential employers and recruitment agencies. First of all, I want to point out one obvious thing. When one says they are deaf, it means they can't hear.

Interesting, isn't it?

I want to make something clear. It doesn't mean every one of us is 100% deaf. There are a select few that actually are able to hear with a hearing aid but this doesn't mean they can use a phone or understand speech. I categorize myself as deaf because I was diagnosed profoundly deaf. Others might see or think differently on their own categorization.

1. Don't ring / call their numbers and send them a text or email, if they ask you to do so with written communication.

Not all of us can talk on the phone or understand speech. It is like background noise to us. I can pick out voices but I can't understand verbal, spoken language. Video calls are ok but with a speech impediment, that is going to be near impossible if you've never worked with a deaf person before.

2. Don't being scared of dealing with the deaf

I promise you, we are a really nice group of people if you stop to try and learn about us. We have many different ways to communicate if we can't talk. I have a speech impediment so I can understand if you do not understand me the first few times. You will get used to it and be able to eventually understand. Then there's always written communication with a pen, paper or electronic format (using a cellphone, messenger, Whatsapp, and so on). I work in a kitchen with my cousins and even after a year, they still struggle to understand some words that I speak.

3. Give us a chance

Even if you think they are not a suitable match, give them a chance. If you promise to try and help them, then don't fall back into doing nothing about it.
When I first started as an apprentice workshop IT technician, I was given 2 months probationary work. That meant I had to prove myself in the workshop as an apprentice (I wasn't qualified then) and after the 2 months were up, we had a meeting privately away from the office. The bosses told me that I had done so well and that they wanted to keep me on. T told some guys in the office that because I was so good at my job, I never had a completed job come back with issues. Now I look back at my time there, I had learnt a lot and I was building up to 10 computers a day along with virus scanning, data recovery, malware removal and software installation on the new machines.

All because D and T gave me a chance, I was able to grow in the workplace and learnt everything that I needed to know as a technician.

Another example where I had a job working from home. I saw a job advertised by a forum owner who also owned an online IT shop with a business partner, who I also happen to know too. We were just online forum faces with aliases and I had been there for a number of years as a member. He took a chance on me and I went from part-time to full-time in just under 2 years, from being a products administrator to both products administrator and team manager of data capturers based in India (the job was in South Africa).

What he and his business partner had to say was that I was the most consistent product administrator and that for all the product information that was hard to find, I was able to find it and add it to the online products categories. I stayed with them for about 2.5 years, and because the company was not doing so well, I had to leave as I was not getting enough work, hence the drastically reduced income. 6 months later the company closed down.

I was sad about it as I loved this job. I had a lot of flexitime and even with the flexitime, I still had to do jobs that were urgently emailed to me (thankfully that didn't happen often). I've never met these business partners and we trusted each other. Even if there was no room for growth, I was happy with this job as I knew I was making a big difference with my skills and that there were other benefits involved.

4. Ask as many questions as possible

How many people have asked me to excuse them if it's too personal over questions relating to the hearing loss?

Don't apologise.

Ask.

Be as straightforward as possible.

If you need to know, you must ask. Were you born deaf? Have you been like this your whole life? That's not personal for me in any way. I don't mind answering questions related to that as it helps to educate people. Every deaf person has a varying degree of hearing loss. Not one of us is the same. We won't bite, don't be scared to educate yourself by asking as many questions as you need to. In turn, when they have that knowledge, they pass it onto other people. Honestly it helps when everyone starts to understand.

Example: I was at Ponden Home in Selby looking for bedding stuff. I had to explain to the cashier that I am deaf but I do lipread and I can speak well enough. She said ok. I was a bit surprised that she kept herself calm and cool. The majority go into a panic and can't think straight. As soon as I paid for my items that I needed, she got my attention by putting her hand out to get my attention and make sure I was looking at her and signed Thank You. More surprised. I felt good because there are some people out there trying to work with the deaf. It is a good thing. The whole world speaks many different languages and this is no difference as the deaf have their own language too. I would love to have more people like that, not being afraid to try and communicate with deaf people.

I'm 41 years old and arrived into the UK on the 20th of May 2019, hoping for a better life and a better support system. It is not so much different to being in South Africa. I was forced to go through Scope, for a 14 week support program to help me navigate through everything. I had my CV reformatted, I've had my covering letter sorted and we talked about all the things that was holding me back. It was great having P as a support counsellor.

I was hoping to find work in the IT field as an IT Technician but 99% of the jobs require someone to use a phone for tech support, which I cannot provide. It's hard as a deaf person to find work, let alone into the field they love the most. I am passionate about technology. I love building machines and tinkering with hardware. I'm a DIY go-getter and love building other things too. I also give support online to friends and sometimes do remote-desktop support to help those who are not as proficient in IT as I am. I fiddle and break software so that I can learn how to fix it. I am also self-taught so I have some basic HTML / CSS coding on my sleeve.

***Names have been abbreviated to protect their privacy.

Jings

Seems like you deal with many obstacles as a deaf person. Have you considered starting up your own one-woman IT support company? Is there a demand there in the UK?

SauRoN

I would add...

5. Don’t speak louder or shout in the presence of a deaf person. It’s not going to help them
hear you and likely make other avenues of communication such as body language and lip reading harder.

6. Teach your kids sign language from birth, not only does it help them communicate with you better and faster but also helps development in general and maybe just maybe down the line they have a good use for it.

Sent from my iPhone

BloodrayneZA

I would add...

5. Don’t speak louder or shout in the presence of a deaf person. It’s not going to help them
hear you and likely make other avenues of communication such as body language and lip reading harder.

6. Teach your kids sign language from birth, not only does it help them communicate with you better and faster but also helps development in general and maybe just maybe down the line they have a good use for it.

Sent from my iPhone
Bingo! I know some friends who taught their babies sign language helped them develop their language skills better - babies that haven't learnt to speak yet benefit from sign language to communicate with their parents.

On the speaking loud, it makes me laugh because in my case, it won't really help. My mom yells at me when she's pissed off with me and I just laugh because it doesn't help at all. Yeah you're right, when you try to "speak" louder, it changes the visual verbal cues to something else like for me, I would be inclined to think that person is angry with me, hence her shouting at me.

EDIT: Oh another thing, when I tell people that I"m deaf and lipread. They go "oh i'm sorry". There is no need for that - they did not make me deaf. A lot of deaf people do take offense to that but I'm so used to it, I just shrug it off and pretend I didn't hear that.

BloodrayneZA

Seems like you deal with many obstacles as a deaf person. Have you considered starting up your own one-woman IT support company? Is there a demand there in the UK?
Not just the UK, South Africa as well. With my current experience in both SA and UK, I am sure I am not the only one that has this problem.

IT support is pretty much everywhere, not a chance I will be able to set up something like that. I have to cultivate a client base and there are quite a few IT businesses here so I probably won't success in this venture. Also honestly I would not be able to deal with people face to face hence spending a lot of time online and pretty much staying at home like a hermit crab.

BloodrayneZA

thanx for sharing this with us, you are a very brave person letting it all out here :) I can see now its not easy, i never knew this before
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed that post. I'm actually glad I wrote this and posted it in 3 different places as I know the world needs to be educated and I was actually really hesistant in posting it as sometimes I have an uncanny ability to upset people with my writing.

Urist

Wow, wanted to ask you to start an ama after learning about your disability in the other thread, but figured it might be insensitive because it is something you might have been dealing with your whole life, a subject that you might not want to draw attention to because of how it might dominate your life and that you might be tired of talking about it.

Something that has been bothering me is how you think... do you think in images? do you see words? Are you deaf from birth? Are there still sounds in your head? Do you have "sounds" in your head for what you think words might sound like.

BloodrayneZA

Something that has been bothering me is how you think... do you think in images? do you see words? Are you deaf from birth? Are there still sounds in your head? Do you have "sounds" in your head for what you think words might sound like.
Yeah I've been questioning this a lot lately.

Do I think in images?

That's an hard question, I"m not even sure how to answer that one. This one is making me think really hard about it. I'll come back to this and give an answer when I get it.

Do I see words?

Good question there, I learnt to lipread and speak when I was 1.5 years old after I was fitted with hearing aids. So I assumed it was like reading a book, while for everyone it's like audio books playing in the background when people speak.

Am I deaf from birth?

Yes, strangely enough no one knows the cause of it. I've had a few ops to try and fix it - nothing worked.

Sounds in my head?

yeah, some would call them echos. I would be inclined to agree on certain times, specially happens after I take my hearing aid out for some peace and quiet. The problem is with a decreased hearing range, I don't really hear much at all, even with a hearing aid. When I went over to a digital hearing aid, I actually heard a toppie and a barn owl calling for the first time and I think I was in my late 30's. My hearing loss has been classified as profoundly deaf which means I have 80% or more hearing loss. So honestly I have never really known what true sound is. There's one thing I can guarantee - I love my music, I would be lost without it. Mostly my parents music tastes when I was growing up. My mom would recall a time when I was 5, got up at 5am and put on The Beatles blaring loud and waking up the whole house.

Here's one of my favourites (I grew up with musicians so I'm musically inclined - I play drums, piano, panpipes and wanting to learn to play the cello). Stringed instruments are harder to play - my brother is a guitar and bass player, he tried to teach me and he said that with my hearing loss, it's harder to hear the tones I can't hear.

Sound in my head for words?

Honestly, my dad told me that right up to when I was 5, I used to be able to understand verbal speech without having to lipread anyone. I think being taught to lipread made me lazy to use my ears. My mom said that it was supposed to be a failsafe in case my battery ran out or if my hearing aid broke. At the moment, I can distinguish voices in the background - I know someone is talking but it's all background noise to me, I have no idea of what is being said.

I hope that answers all your questions.

Tribs

Bingo! I know some friends who taught their babies sign language helped them develop their language skills better - babies that haven't learnt to speak yet benefit from sign language to communicate with their parents.

On the speaking loud, it makes me laugh because in my case, it won't really help. My mom yells at me when she's pissed off with me and I just laugh because it doesn't help at all. Yeah you're right, when you try to "speak" louder, it changes the visual verbal cues to something else like for me, I would be inclined to think that person is angry with me, hence her shouting at me.

EDIT: Oh another thing, when I tell people that I"m deaf and lipread. They go "oh i'm sorry". There is no need for that - they did not make me deaf. A lot of deaf people do take offense to that but I'm so used to it, I just shrug it off and pretend I didn't hear that.
lol I like what you did there.
The reason we say we are sorry is not because we feel responsible - it is because we know how much harder it must make your life. Most of us struggle - but you actually do have it harder because of something you had no control over. I have always said that I would rather lose my sight than my hearing. The reason being - I know how beautiful the world is - but I live through music and sounds. I cannot imagine how it feels to live in a silent world. Apart from missing the melodies around - I would be able to hear the voices in my head so much clearer - and we all know how destructive voices can be. That is why I may say sorry now and again.

Tribs

Yeah I've been questioning this a lot lately.

Do I think in images?

That's an hard question, I"m not even sure how to answer that one. This one is making me think really hard about it. I'll come back to this and give an answer when I get it.

Do I see words?

Good question there, I learnt to lipread and speak when I was 1.5 years old after I was fitted with hearing aids. So I assumed it was like reading a book, while for everyone it's like audio books playing in the background when people speak.

Am I deaf from birth?

Yes, strangely enough no one knows the cause of it. I've had a few ops to try and fix it - nothing worked.

Sounds in my head?

yeah, some would call them echos. I would be inclined to agree on certain times, specially happens after I take my hearing aid out for some peace and quiet. The problem is with a decreased hearing range, I don't really hear much at all, even with a hearing aid. When I went over to a digital hearing aid, I actually heard a toppie and a barn owl calling for the first time and I think I was in my late 30's. My hearing loss has been classified as profoundly deaf which means I have 80% or more hearing loss. So honestly I have never really known what true sound is. There's one thing I can guarantee - I love my music, I would be lost without it. Mostly my parents music tastes when I was growing up. My mom would recall a time when I was 5, got up at 5am and put on The Beatles blaring loud and waking up the whole house.

Here's one of my favourites (I grew up with musicians so I'm musically inclined - I play drums, piano, panpipes and wanting to learn to play the cello). Stringed instruments are harder to play - my brother is a guitar and bass player, he tried to teach me and he said that with my hearing loss, it's harder to hear the tones I can't hear.

Sound in my head for words?

Honestly, my dad told me that right up to when I was 5, I used to be able to understand verbal speech without having to lipread anyone. I think being taught to lipread made me lazy to use my ears. My mom said that it was supposed to be a failsafe in case my battery ran out or if my hearing aid broke. At the moment, I can distinguish voices in the background - I know someone is talking but it's all background noise to me, I have no idea of what is being said.

I hope that answers all your questions.
The hearing aid helps you hear music ?

BloodrayneZA

My cousin's son was born deaf because she had German measles while she was pregnant and didn't know. Do you think something like that could have happened to your mom?
My mother said nothing unusual happened so everyone's baffled to why.

Urist

This thread is interesting AF. Never communicated with a deaf person before.
Well... I probably did a lot on the internet, but it's the first time i'm knowingly doing it.

Urist

Did you learn speech by touching vocal cords and then trying to mimic it? How do you control the volume of your speech?
I've got a debilitating stammer, worst is trying to say my name, so from introductions many people assume i'm mentally stupid. which I am most of the time, but it would be nice if people didn't assume it from the onset.
Compared to you though i'm playing life in easy mode.

Last edited:

BloodrayneZA

Did you learn speech by touching vocal cords and then trying to mimic it? How do you control the volume of your speech?
I've got a debilitating stammer, worst is trying to say my name, so from introductions many people assume i'm mentally stupid. which I am most of the time, but it would be nice if people didn't assume it from the onset.
Compared to you though i'm playing life in easy mode.
Yeah something like that, it was a long time ago since I last had speech therapy. Also mainly visually how to say a word properly. I still have trouble reading certain words that actually sound very similar.

Like these

Bee and Pee - the B / P vocally and visually look the same to me cos I can't hear the difference.

The letters D and T have the same issue as well. Specially when spelling out names or places or whatever word that needs to be spelled out verbally. I"m never sure if it's D or T, P or B. Lol

There are other words that look / sound similar but I can't remember (I blame old age).

Controlling the volume of my voice is like pulling teeth. It's impossible. I have to be reminded to lower my voice at times - my mother always asks me why I'm shouting when I didn't even know that I was talking loud. That's where an hearing aid helps. Sometime last year my cousins were telling me I didn't realise how noisy I was in the kitchen cos I don't even hear myself make that much noise - compared to hearing people who hear 5 times better than I do. They have to remind me from time to time when I forget.