Windows 10 or 7?

Düber

My SIL has an Acer Aspire 5733 that the HDD packed up on.
I have rescued most of the files with Testdisk and then I was just going to dd to an image, repair it and write it to the new disk.

However the boot sector is rather damaged and dd is just failing with too many errors. I have started a ddrescue on it but after 9 hours it has done only 1.5%.
Now she is cute but not cute enough for me to spend the next month on making a image to restore her pc back to what it was.

I use Linux and most distro's will run on a shoebox if it is plugged in, she however likes playing games and has only ever had a windows machine so that is not an option.

The computer has an I3 of some sort, so in theory it should be able to run 10. Most of my experience with Win 10 has been rather negative unfortunately, but I do have an ISO, trying to get a clean Windows 7 one is taking me to dodgy sites.

So do I install windows 10 or 7?

Düber

This way you get continuous updates but have the Win 7 Start menu.
That does look good. She is very dumb when it comes to tech so at least Win 10 will help protect her from herself.

Will it run properly on that machine?

biometrics

That does look good. She is very dumb when it comes to tech so at least Win 10 will help protect her from herself.

Will it run properly on that machine?
With 4 GB RAM yes. Install the 64 bit version.