When last did you travel and when are you hoping to do so again?

Blantyre

I see that some people are now going overseas, seemingly in some cases for leisure, though they have to be selective with location (there are some countries that are accepting tourists).

I last went to Egypt in December 2019. I've been inter provinces twice in the last year but I'm not sure if I will leave the borders anytime soon, possibly not unless a work-related event pops up but those seem unlikely to happen frequently now with Zoom becoming more popular.

Tribs

I last went to Cape Town a week or two before the first lockdown. I remember listening to the news on the way from the airport to my hotel and hearing that the first Cape Town man had been diagnosed. :oops:

Johnatan56

Well, pre first lockdown my family came back from Austria in Feb, I went up in June 2019.
Post that, November 2020 I went to Kruger.
Then flight to Europe in March 2021, then traveled a large portion of Austria within a week due to personal reasons.
Last few weeks it's been about a 100km trip every second weekend to somewhere, but most of the time I spend within the city as there is so much I still have yet to see or haven't visited in years, so will take a while before I start heading out of the city again (plus car starts becoming a requirement for some of the places I want to visit again, e.g. Aggstein).

TabacNW

Last year after the mother lockdown.
Next week - Pongola.
July - Marlothpark.

Spizz

I went to Scotland and back on repatriation flights during lockdown last year. Out via Heathrow in June, back via Amsterdam followed by 2 weeks hotel quarantine in Joburg in August.

Sinbad

Last flew on 27 February this year.

Not sure about future travel plans. Probably a long weekend in Europe at some point in autumn, and then maybe a week or two in SA in december or january, covid permitting.

Spizz

Last flew on 27 February this year.

Not sure about future travel plans. Probably a long weekend in Europe at some point in autumn, and then maybe a week or two in SA in december or january, covid permitting.

You'll get here alright, but I wouldn't count on the quarantine requirements being lifted for South Africans for a year or two.

Nicholas

Wow.....it feels like such a time ago. It could have been Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth or Cape Town. I haven't considered going anywhere on holiday. When I have been somewhere, it has usually been with my family. I depend heavily on my brother for things like travel and accommodation. :oops:

Sinbad

You'll get here alright, but I wouldn't count on the quarantine requirements being lifted for South Africans for a year or two.
Yeah you can bet if it's still a hotel thing we won't be doing that

R

[)roi(]

Recently returned from an unplanned extended stay in Singapore, that due to problems returning to SA (covid), ended up turning a short business trip into a very extended one; decided also to take time off for a bit of scuba diving in the coral triangle and then a luxurious holiday in Vietnam.

Given the problems with my recent trip; I plan to put off all travel until a majority of this covid BS is over;
I need to plan a trip to Texas, but considering the amped up level of BS; that's IMO unlikely before next year.

R

[)roi(]

Was your trip worth it given all the stress?
It was originally just a business trip and started late last year when the BS had died down in SA, so the start went off well, really wasn't that much drama, and the only part that was uncomfortable was sleeping on the plane with a mask on; but nothing that a whisky and a sleeping tablet couldn't resolve -- the lay flat seats on Qatar business were as always comfortable, so I slept most of the way, and I also had a chance to have a hot shower during a short layover in Doha; meals and service on Qatar were as always really good. I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed such a long flight in economy with a mask on, and I wouldn't have slept.

At that point the whole rhetoric about a SA virus strain had not come to bear, so entry into Singapore was as good as one could expect under the conditions. Working at my clients was uneventful, and they wee just too happy for me to extend as it meant we made quite rapid progress on the projects.

Things changed after the SA virus strain rhetoric; firstly I could not get home, because not only had SA shut down flights; most countries including Singapore had shut down return options to SA and Africa.

The unplanned vacation was about as good as it could be without my wife and kids; enjoyed the diving; it was a very relaxed atmosphere without anyone angst about stuff. Similarly Vietnam was a very relaxing time, especially loved the serenity of my time in Dalat; Vietnam's so called little Paris; stayed in a luxurious French Villa, and spent a lot of time hiking in the gorgeous hills and lake area surrounding the Trúc Lâm Buddhist Temple, and of course enjoying the food.

For the most part masks weren't required at all; however Vietnamese often are seen wearing masks, but that's typically on scooters and is to primarily avoid weird sun tan lines on the lower exposed parts of their faces; women more so than the men -- it's a beauty thing; pale completions are prized more than tanned ones, and with marriage being such a priority -- they want to look their best all the time.

My return trip was switched to Singapore airlines, which was equally comfortable as their business class seats and service is on par with Qatar; a whisky and sleeping tablet similarly made the journey in a mask uneventful as I slept most of the way.

I was naturally happy to be back in SA with my family; it's tough to be away from them for so long, especially when it wasn't by choice.

Had I known that's how the events would play out; I would have taken my family with me -- so yes it was worth it, but it would have been far better with my family.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

[)roi(]

Last went overseas in 2017
Hope I dont ever have to do that again
You don't like traveling?
Surely a beer tasting trip would make all the difference, coupled of course with healthy selective of carnivore dishes.
I did a trip like this with long term friends about 10 years ago, ventured through Germany, Belgium, and France with express goal of trying as much beers as we could manage, started off in Germany at the Oktoberfest, and ended off on the French Riviera.

Papa Smurf

Surely a beer tasting trip would make all the difference, coupled of course with healthy selective of carnivore dishes.
I did a trip like this with long term friends about 10 years ago, ventured through Germany, Belgium, and France with express goal of trying as much beers as we could manage, started off in Germany at the Oktoberfest, and ended off on the French Riviera.
Was nice when I was younger

I prefer sleeping in my own bed with my own pillow

I hate tourists and dont enjoy been around foreigners

Blantyre

I think it depends, to an extent traveling is overrated and these days many people just go to places for the sake of getting that selfie there. I've been on three youth trips and some millennials spend more time focusing on Instagram photos than actually soaking the atmosphere.

But in the same vein, I've had some of my best life experiences traveling, I suppose it's about finding what you enjoy and going and doing that. I also just enjoy letting loose, forgetting about reality, and drinking and smoking shisha when traveling. I hate museums which some people love and would rather avoid them altogether.

Last I went was to Egypt in 2019. Hoping to go back to the Middle East sometime when the chance arises. I really enjoy middle eastern vibes, a lot of people think it will be dangerous but contrary to their beliefs, you can have a good time and not get in trouble as long as you don't act like an idiot.

Blantyre

Was nice when I was younger

I prefer sleeping in my own bed with my own pillow

Do you just spend your time at home reclused from the outside world? I think you have also mentioned that you don't have a car.

If so, there is nothing bad about that, I am also reclusive to an extent, it helps you avoid a lot of the drama people bring into your life.

R

[)roi(]

That is a problem for a large part of the human population.
The level of idiocy is always commensurate with the youthfulness of the individual.
Insurance companies know this too well, and bill accordingly.