What to do with old microwave oven?

PhireSide

Got a new microwave to replace our aging Russell Hobbs one. The old one still heats up food, but the base is rusty so it's cosmetically not 100%.

What is the best way to get rid of it? I'd hate for it to sit on a rubbish dump and rust if someone could use it. It still works 100%, it is literally just the base where the turntable runs on that needs attention.

I was thinking of putting it out on the pavement for someone to collect.

biometrics

Got a new microwave to replace our aging Russell Hobbs one. The old one still heats up food, but the base is rusty so it's cosmetically not 100%.

What is the best way to get rid of it? I'd hate for it to sit on a rubbish dump and rust if someone could use it. It still works 100%, it is literally just the base where the turntable runs on that needs attention.

I was thinking of putting it out on the pavement for someone to collect.
Got this yesterday:

In this difficult time of our lives with the covid19 virus and many other factors that we are facing in south Africa,

NC Electronix Ewaste Collectors and recyclers are pleading with you all to do the right thing and recycle your old unwanted electronic equipment the safe way.

What is e-waste?

• Large Household Appliances
  • Small Household Appliances
  • Office, Information and Communication Equipment (ICT)
  • Consumer Electronic / Photovoltaic
  • Lighting Equipment
  • Electric and Electronic Tools
  • Toys/ Leisure and Sports Equipment
  • Security & Healthcare Equipment
  • Automatic Issuing Machines

Anything ewaste will be collected free of charge and you will be issued with a safe disposal certificate.

Please help us today to make the earth a better tomorrow for our children.

NC Electronix Team

021-879-2288

082-472-1016

Papa Smurf

a microwave oven with rusted holes is a disaster, it leaks radiation, i would rather blow it up

Best Microwave Exploding GIFs | Gfycat

BloodrayneZA

Got this yesterday:

In this difficult time of our lives with the covid19 virus and many other factors that we are facing in south Africa,

NC Electronix Ewaste Collectors and recyclers are pleading with you all to do the right thing and recycle your old unwanted electronic equipment the safe way.

What is e-waste?

• Large Household Appliances
  • Small Household Appliances
  • Office, Information and Communication Equipment (ICT)
  • Consumer Electronic / Photovoltaic
  • Lighting Equipment
  • Electric and Electronic Tools
  • Toys/ Leisure and Sports Equipment
  • Security & Healthcare Equipment
  • Automatic Issuing Machines

Anything ewaste will be collected free of charge and you will be issued with a safe disposal certificate.

Please help us today to make the earth a better tomorrow for our children.

NC Electronix Team

021-879-2288

082-472-1016
Smart move. They can use the good parts at their service centre and discard the ones they can’t use.

PhireSide

Thanks all.

All the services I've found in PE seem to charge for collection or require that I deliver, which is a far drive for me. I'll contact one of the many appliance repair shops on Gumtree and see if they would be willing to pick up.

Tribs

Put it on the pavement. Some person going past will be very grateful for a working microwave. They won't care about the looks.

PhireSide

Update: I went to a nearby filling station and gave it to the attendant who helped me. He was very grateful, and he mentioned that his current one keeps on tripping his plugs at home when he uses it. At first he kept on asking how much I wanted for it, because he couldn't believe I wanted to just give it away. At my insistence he gave in and accepted it.

May it serve him well, as it did me for so many years :)