What band blew your mind the first time you hear them?

satanboy

I think there may be people that misunderstood the question.

Blew you away the FIRST time you heard them. (Not necessarily live. But could be. Not many people go to a concert without knowing the band/artist.)

Tribs

I have seen The Script, Eminem, Linkin Park, 30 Seconds to Mars and a few others. Most on my own as SO doesn't do concerts. Two I took my kids to, and two I took friends. They were all amazing. Even saw One Direction.

greg0205

Blondie's Heart of Glass, off Parallel Lines in '78

Springsteen's Hungry Heart, off The River which was the first album I ever bought.

Roxy Music's Oh Yeah off Flesh and Blood in '80.

Also, Yazoo's Only You off Upstairs at Erics in '82.

Plenty more, but those are the ones that come to mind right now...

greg0205

Have you been posting here?

I believe I posted the worst music video in the history of music videos there...

What is even happening here??

Why is Norman Cook represented among some of these... are we really calling them music videos?

While you ponder that, please enjoy the dance stylings of Silver Pozzoli and the seizure seventeen.

That said, you may or may not know this about my musical preferences... Not a band, but I'm a fan...

Spizz

London 1989. Youth hostel, Notting Hill Gate

I became friends with an American guy from California. We were talking music and he told me about a band I’d never heard of from California called the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I was telling him about a band he’d never heard of from Scotland called Goodbye Mr Mackenzie.

Anyhoo, as luck would have it both bands were playing in London in the next couple of months so we said we’ll go and see them. I bought tickets for Goodbye Mr Mackenzie at the Marquee, he bought tickets for the Chilli Peppers at The Astoria.

Time came and we went to see The Mackenzies and it was a great gig. They were big in the Indy scene in Scotland and had a couple of big hits up there and people my age remember them fondly. Shirley Manson went onto form Garbage but the band split without any real big commercial success.

Time came for the Chilli Peppers gig and James the California dude had disappeared. I’ve never seen or heard of him to this day. No idea where he went or why. But hey, I still had a ticket so I went to the gig. I thought it’d be me on my own but as soon as I got off the tube I was offered big money for the ticket. But memories beat money any day, I went and it was a great gig. But the Chilli Peppers weren’t really my scene. Nice but not quite hitting my spot.

So, the point of this and the band that blew me away first time I heard them? Well James gave me a C90 tape to listen to the Chilli Peppers before the gig. I listened and they were okay of course, but with these tapes they had another band on the backside. That band was the Pixies and the album Surfer Rosa.

Fuck me, I played that tape forever and instantly fell in love with them. Got to see them at Brixton the following year and still listen to them today. Still one of my top 5 bands ever.

So thanks James. Wherever you are.

Tribs

I have had one blow my mind recently. You all know of my obsession with Falling in Reverse - well this isn't them. Though they did blow my mind.

The band that recently made me go wow was this one

A mixture of WTF?!?!?!?! Hot lyrics - hot chickie - and the growls !!!!!!!

SauRoN

Lots of my friends also say that. I just don't get it. They are fine, don't get me wrong.

It’s a very technical sound that requires active listening so I can understand that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone

SauRoN

So you are saying you are more refined than me?

:LOL:

Just different strokes.

Some people like more passive listening stuff that plays in the background that they don’t need to really concentrate on, other like to go deep down the rabbit hole.

Even a decade after many of the Tool albums released I still find the odd surprise of new things I’ve never heard before.

Sent from my iPhone