Vumatel bs Vumatel GPon (aerial)

Nicci

Hi all!

I need some advice.

Today I got Fibre from Vumatel. They are the only ones in our area. I went through BitCo as my service provider, as they were most affordable.

I got the 1000mb dl and 100mb upload. Now, the speeds are terrible. At most I get 300mb down and 100 up, plugged in to router, and on wifi, same speeds.

If pc is plugged into wall box, the speed is even slower than when plugged into router.

I have a cat5 lan cable.

When I plug in my ps4, the dl speed is 39mb and up is 19mb, and this is crazy for a 1000mb line.

Is my Vumatel a dedicated line or a Vumatel GPon?

How do I get it faster?

thanks!!

biometrics

Are you not mixing up b (bit) for B (byte), which is 8X larger?

Can you link us to the ISP product page for this package.

cavedog

Well first things first. Vumatel trenched is active ethernet and in most cases the best fibre solution. Vumatel Gpon is usually Aerial. It comes back from Fibrehoods days when Vumatel bought Fibrehoods and then obviously they stuck with the already rolled out Gpon network.

If you are on Gpon you likely use a username and password to dial a connection where as with Vumatel trenched it's DHCP except for Afrihost who uses DHCP on all providers gpon or active ethernet except for Openserve.

On Vumatel 1000Mbps you would expect to get around 700-900Mbps locally and when I say locally I mean local not national. So if you are in JHB speedtest to JHB hosted servers. A speedtest to CPT from JHB might not be as fast.

International is another story you are probably looking at 200Mbps to 500Mbps really depending on the network.

You say you using Cat5 cable I assume you are talking about CAT5e because Cat5 has 100Mbps max throughput. Cat5e can do 1Gbps.

Plug directly into the ONT or CPE and run a speedtest on Vumatel Handover speedtest to see how the speeds look like. On the handover speedtest you would want to get the speeds of the package which should be over 900Mbps download and about 100Mbps upload.

Once you get those speeds on handover then you know your local equipment is up to scratch.