Uranus X-Rays are Probably Reflected Sunlight, but There Could be Another Source as Well

Seldom Bucket

X-rays offer a unique insight into the astronomical world. Invisible to the naked eye, most commonly they are thought of as the semi-dangerous source of medical scans. However, X-ray observatories, like the Chandra X-ray Observatory are capable of seeing astronomical features that no other telescope can. Recently scientists found some of those X-rays coming from a relatively unexpected source – Uranus.

While the data might have been found only recently, it was actually collected almost 2 decades ago in 2002, and then again in 2017. Despite the age of the data, scientists have a decent theory on what might be causing most of the observed X-rays.

JacobCooper45

I can't help wondering how many secrets the Universe and our Solar System store. Do you imagine how many things we don't know about other planets? Of course, I understand that this information isn't 100% accurate, but the probability of these X-rays to be Sun's X-rays is rather high. That's why I always state that space exploration shouldn't stop, and we must devote as much effort as possible to developing the space industry.