Threadkiller

Düber

What are the thoughts around booking and paying for flights (local) early next year now?
Out of principle I don't use SAA or Mango so it would most likely be Kulula, prices seem good at the moment.

GreGorGy

What are the thoughts around booking and paying for flights (local) early next year now?
Out of principle I don't use SAA or Mango so it would most likely be Kulula, prices seem good at the moment.

I've been quite satisfied for Safair to be honest. And the rates are incremental so that if you want to have a backup (like date changes) you can.

So if you have a guaranteed event (like a wedding or similar) in the middle future and you can get a good rate now, probably not a bad idea at all.

Düber

I've been quite satisfied for Safair to be honest. And the rates are incremental so that if you want to have a backup (like date changes) you can.

So if you have a guaranteed event (like a wedding or similar) in the middle future and you can get a good rate now, probably not a bad idea at all.
Will have a look a Safair then. (y)
It is for a fixed event and some of the timing is a bit tight so I would rather get the exact flights I want.

LD50

Okay. So if they made a big slab, to control the cracks you need to grind into the slab in straight lines roughly in 25m2 chunks, depending of course on the shape of the slab. But yeah if the slab is 100mm thick say, you’d need to grind a line at least 25-35mm into the slab with a cutting disk and that would control the crack as the concrete would tear there at the weakest (thinest) part as the concrete contracts.

It looks like in this case they have cast a slab and just made a cosmetic line just a few mm deep to make it look nice, but not actually functional as an expansion joint as it is not deep enough to attract the crack.
Attracking the crack ??
Grant!!

Arzy

Or more likely, they don’t have an expansion joint at all.
No, look at the picture! Don't have a banana for scale but it seems like the joint needed to have been 5cm to the right.

Spizz

No, look at the picture! Don't have a banana for scale but it seems like the joint needed to have been 5cm to the right.

The line at the left side of the crack appears to be just that, a line. Scored into the concrete for aesthetic purposes. If it was an expansion joint the crack would have been there and unseen.

Arzy

The line at the left side of the crack appears to be just that, a line. Scored into the concrete for aesthetic purposes. If it was an expansion joint the crack would have been there and unseen.
I disagree. It is clearly a Expanusol mark 2 (or 3, no banana for scale to be exact) that was installed with a 5cm offset.

I did realize though that the offset could be either left OR right based on the orientation of the photo. So not only are we lacking a banana for scale but also a strawberry indicator for directionality.

Spizz

I disagree. It is clearly a Expanusol mark 2 (or 3, no banana for scale to be exact) that was installed with a 5cm offset.

I did realize though that the offset could be either left OR right based on the orientation of the photo. So not only are we lacking a banana for scale but also a strawberry indicator for directionality.

Good point. Although strawberries as directional indicators were outlawed by SABS in the early 90s. Avocados are more common these days.

Arzy

Good point. Although strawberries as directional indicators were outlawed by SABS in the early 90s. Avocados are more common these days.
Damn bureaucracy! The strawberries were so much simpler than singular direction avos! Who has time to confirm which side of a tree the avo fell from anyway?!?!

spiderz

Damn bureaucracy! The strawberries were so much simpler than singular direction avos! Who has time to confirm which side of a tree the avo fell from anyway?!?!
a ripe or green avo? 🤔
Their directions is different you know ...

Spizz

The strawberries kept getting eaten and it led to one too many paths being built going in the wrong direction.

Arzy

The strawberries kept getting eaten and it led to one too many paths being built going in the wrong direction.
Which could easily have been solved by rather just eating the banana once scale was determined!

Sinbad

409d124da41b0687b23f164e51ecdc21.jpg