Threadkiller

Grant

I have a new pet project.
A house I had in durban, a house I was in love with, has been bought by successive owners and has ultimately landed up looking like a squatter camp. The house was designed, built and lived in by a German architect. It's was unique in design, but gave 100% privacy. It was constructed using glass and shuttered concrete. It had an indoor atrium and koi pond which lay beneath a electrically operated retracting glass roof. The pond was self levelling and fed by rain water from the flat roof - like mini waterfalls.
It was built on 2 stands, the house itself occupied one, and a massive pool took the other. The garden was like a jungle, hence the privacy. The main bedroom has a curved glass roof from the main roof curving down to the ground - the bed area was under the room. In the mornings you could lay in bed watching monkeys play on the roof.
Each year architecture students would come to the house and do drawings take photos etc.

The house and garden have been decimated by its current owner turning it into a student "squatter camp". The place is a wreck, the pool empty and the garden cut down.

I managed to get hold of the architect (all photos I had got lost during a move) trying to get copies of plans and photos. She's and artist now and had virtually nothing left, but sent what she had.

Here is the wreck now, thanks to a Mr Gibson Gumede:

79 81 b.jpg

Screenshot_20200929_130801.jpg

Here is what it used to be:

Screen shot 2020-09-29 at 1.12.14 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2020-09-29 at 1.13.15 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2020-09-29 at 1.13.34 PM.jpg

Grant

Barbarians and philistines should never be allowed access to nice houses

spiderz

I love concrete structures! :love:

One day when I'm big I would like to design and build my own place.
(althought the design will be driven by the location of the property.)

LD50

Some folk only want to live simple lives without the bells, whistles and bling-bling

biometrics

I love concrete structures! :love:

One day when I'm big I would like to design and build my own place.
(althought the design will be driven by the location of the property.)
Then you'll probably like this. My uncle built this monstrosity in Hangklip:

1601384498209.png

biometrics

I could live in that, lack of close neighbours makes up for all the concrete.
Problem is the public have the right to walk along the high water mark. So there is a path in front of the house connecting the beaches on either side. Also it's damp inside having been built so close to the high water mark, so you are going to have lung issues. It's built on the ocean rocks, some rooms have rocks as a wall.

Dave

Problem is the public have the right to walk along the high water mark. So there is a path in front of the house connecting the beaches on either side. Also it's damp inside having been built so close to the high water mark, so you are going to have lung issues. It's built on the ocean rocks, some rooms have rocks as a wall.

That makes it a lot less attractive then.