The Shit Your Folks Said

Textile Guy

11 common lies our parents told us as kids — and their effects according to a child psychologist

Parents have been known to fib to their children on occasion, whether it's to avoid tantrums, spare their feelings, or skirt around difficult topics such as death.

Insider asked psychology professor Dr. Tovah Klein, director of Barnard College's Center for Toddler Development and author of "How Toddlers Thrive," about common lies that parents tell children and how much harm, if any, those little white lies cause.

"This is the best drawing I've ever seen."
"This food you made is so tasty."
"Sorry, we're out of cookies."
"The toy store is closed."
"The tooth fairy/Santa Claus/Easter Bunny, etc. left that for you."
"If you cross your eyes, they'll stay that way."
"We're almost there."
"The fish/cat/dog is sleeping."
"I don't know."
"It's a tie."
"I have eyes in the back of my head."

Mortymoose

Money Does not Grow on trees......

If you have nothing to do, by God I will give you something to do....

f you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you ........ Oh! Wait, not that one.... :unsure:

BloodrayneZA

Countless of times growing up, I was told I would get warts if I handled frogs and toads. I just laughed and didn't care.

20 years later I can prove it's all a myth. I still handle them. I love my toads more. I used to grab a moth and flick it at a toad nearby, and it would catch it very fast.

beans100

Mom: "You must eat all your vegetables, or you'll die young of cancer" - Still here, still don't eat them
Mom: "Kom hier jou klein kak" - Never came :)
Father: "Accidents never happen" - After I explained that something broke or happened because it was an accident

Flanders

The name ostrich actually comes from 'arse stretch' because that is what happens when this type of bird lays one of its rather sizable eggs.