The Chat Room

Sonikku

In the mid 90s I visited the NCR ATM factory in Scotland. The company I was working for at the time tried to sell them face biometric authentication.
Yeah that facility doesn't exist anymore except some office there pushing paper and lording over EMEA employees.
All of their shit is now made in India where they can pay the people peanuts.

Sonikku

Work is hard, fucking fell on my arse today rushing to get to the office on time, so I pulled a ligament in my back. Looks like I am going to live on Myprodol the whole weekend. Joy!

scudsucker

To be fair, my 6 year old son would probably look at me like I was stupid, and say, "I know that, dad". I'll see him on Sunday, I will try to remember to ask him.

He is a clever kid, way more clever than me. He's known what a coprolite is, since just after he learnt to speak (it is fossilized dinosaur poo, hitting the trifecta of young boys interests)

My plan, before he was born, was to feed him some false information and see what stuck, but honestly it is more fun to give him real information.

Conversations with him that begin "Did you know..." are a nightmare. And I am the kind of person that read every single Trivial Pursuit card. Aside from sports, I am the guy you want on your team for trivia evenings.

Unless my son is playing.

Last edited:

scudsucker

I often use two forks held like chopsticks, but an electric whisk is a better way.

Planning on making pancakes for the kids tomorrow, I might just use my Braun blender with the whisk so that they get involved in the process. At the risk of extreme mess. YOLO!

Arzy

Tried the whisk, aerated rather well but a normal electric mixer gives me a better consistency.

Blender kick ass for making mayonnaise

scudsucker

Tried the whisk, aerated rather well but a normal electric mixer gives me a better consistency.

Blender kick ass for making mayonnaise
I don't eat much mayonnaise so I rarely make it. But my hand mixing is not the ideal unless I visit a gym for quite a few workouts.

One of my reasons for not using a blender is my interest in reasonably extreme camping. Like a long mission with minimal equipment, but still having some luxury. I've baked bread on a fire (it rose in my water bottle during the hike - large lid), cooked gemsbok steak directly on a rock in the Fish River Canyon, baked bread in a tin can. Built an oven out of clay. Made muffins 6 days into a hike (granted muffins with dried fruit don't quite compare to what you can get in Checkers!)

It's not that I am some crazy survivalist, I just want a tiny bit of luxury on a multi-day hike, and there are tricks that are useful to know, mostly to save weight.

Not sure why I went on that tangent. In my own kitchen, I have the most expensive equipment I can afford.

But I do like to entertain the idea that I can make a plan without any fancy equipment.

Hell, one of my motos when I was in my late teens was, "when camping, you only need a spoon" - and this still rings true. You can use a spoon to open cans. You can use a spoon to tend the fire. If you must, you can find a rock and sharpen the edge of the spoon. I keep two spoons in my backpack, because if you lose your spoon, you are fucked.

Last edited:

biometrics

I don't eat much mayonnaise so I rarely make it. But my hand mixing is not the ideal unless I visit a gym for quite a few workouts.

One of my reasons for not using a blender is my interest in reasonably extreme camping. Like a long mission with minimal equipment, but still having some luxury. I've baked bread on a fire (it rose in my water bottle during the hike - large lid), cooked gemsbok steak directly on a rock in the Fish River Canyon, baked bread in a tin can. Built an oven out of clay. Made muffins 6 days into a hike (granted muffins with dried fruit don't quite compare to what you can get in Checkers!)

It's not that I am some crazy survivalist, I just want a tiny bit of luxury on a multi-day hike, and there are tricks that are useful to know, mostly to save weight.

Not sure why I went on that tangent. In my own kitchen, I have the most expensive equipment I can afford.

But I do like to entertain the idea that I can make a plan without any fancy equipment.

Hell, one of my motos when I was in my late teens was, "when camping, you only need a spoon" - and this still rings true. You can use a spoon to open cans. You can use a spoon to tend the fire. If you must, you can find a rock and sharpen the edge of the spoon. I keep two spoons in my backpack, because if you lose your spoon, you are fucked.
How do you open a can with a spoon?

I know you can scrape a can on a flat rock for a while to grind it down if desperate