The Chat Room

Nicholas

Annual increase time. Not sure what the average was but I got 4.9%. Better than a kick in the nuts. Also got a reduced bonus which is actually 99% of my monthly salary. Somehow that’s 72% of the target. I have no clue how they calculate these things, and just roll with it.

Just to clarify - I didn’t work hard for this, and almost certainly don’t deserve it (if the world was fair). But I’ll certainly accept it, and keep counting the number of paydays till I retire.
Congratulations
I hope this has not shoved you into a higher tax bracket.
Can you decline an increase if it will move you to a higher tax bracket? I assuming that it would result in earning less than before.

Nicholas

I've heard a rumour that people with jobs are going to have to contribute R1500 a month to the National Health Insurance scheme.

If this is true, I wonder whether we will be able to cancel medical aid contributions immediately?

Rudolph Hart

Congratulations
Can you decline an increase if it will move you to a higher tax bracket? I assuming that it would result in earning less than before.
No, I’m in the top tax bracket.

But purely based on tax, you will never take home less after an increase than before it. If someone takes home less after an increase than before, it’ll be due to other deductions such as medical aid going up at the same time.

Sonikku

Annual increase time. Not sure what the average was but I got 4.9%. Better than a kick in the nuts. Also got a reduced bonus which is actually 99% of my monthly salary. Somehow that’s 72% of the target. I have no clue how they calculate these things, and just roll with it.

Just to clarify - I didn’t work hard for this, and almost certainly don’t deserve it (if the world was fair). But I’ll certainly accept it, and keep counting the number of paydays till I retire.
Count yourself lucky. You know by now (I am sure) how I got shafted after 6 years. My increase was going to be 0.0% anyway and no bonus at all.

Sonikku

I've heard a rumour that people with jobs are going to have to contribute R1500 a month to the National Health Insurance scheme.

If this is true, I wonder whether we will be able to cancel medical aid contributions immediately?
FUCK THE ANC
It's not a rumour, they're going to sneak it in somewhere. How do I know this?

• Well, Ryan Noach made a duck at Discovery (he knows his annual Maybach upgrade is no longer going to be possible)
  • State run programmes at Tygerberg hospital have been canceled and the people involved were given retrenchments last month
  • The cost of medication right now is sharply increased (it's called getting the last fuck in before she is gone in tradespeak)
NHI is the ANC's big wet dream... A communist feeding frenzy....
The troughs are getting new gravy

Nicholas

NHS leaves something to be desired from what my sister has told me.
Apologies in advance if I mangle the metaphor. Seeing a doctor is like being processed through a production line serviced by whatever doctor is available. You spend a few minutes with them, then out you go. The medication that works best for her isn't even available for purchase in the UK. While you can buy it in South Africa, medical aid may not cover that particular formulation even if you can pay to have that chronic condition covered. I'm told that public hospitals don't dispense it it.

biometrics

Corpse in the middel of the road on the way back just past Somerset Mall. Cops there but body covered.

biometrics

Congratulations
You will always earn more. Tax brackets are bands not a % of the total.

scudsucker

Corpse in the middel of the road
I can't remember if I posted this here (I probably did) but last Afrika Burn some suicidal guy tried to kill himself under my car, as I was driving through Grabouw farmlands.

He survived, minor injuries. I feel completely shit about it, even though I realised he was acting erratically and I slowed down, and at the last moment swerved. So I did what I could.

I cannot imagine the scale of how much worse a person would feel for actually killing, even though many road crossers take huge risks. It is still a huge amount of guilt. (Not necessarily legal guilt, emotional guilt)

Tribs

I can't remember if I posted this here (I probably did) but last Afrika Burn some suicidal guy tried to kill himself under my car, as I was driving through Grabouw farmlands.

He survived, minor injuries. I feel completely shit about it, even though I realised he was acting erratically and I slowed down, and at the last moment swerved. So I did what I could.

I cannot imagine the scale of how much worse a person would feel for actually killing, even though many road crossers take huge risks. It is still a huge amount of guilt. (Not necessarily legal guilt, emotional guilt)
I killed a pigeon - he walked under my tyre in an estate. I feel horrible about it - so I don't think I would survive mentally if I killed anyone.

Sinbad

Congratulations
There's a UK tax bracket that's effectively 60%. It's harsh

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

biometrics

I recall.

Now imagine he succeeded and killed you and your family. Better?