The Chat Room

EADC

Yes, many people have told me that they chose to go work in places further afield in New Zealand, away from the usual "hotspots" like Wellington, because the places are full of old people, bitter and really upset about South Africa and will proceed every day to say something about how the ANC ruined the country. Yet most if not all have revoked their citizenship. They live boring and uninteresting lives because life is not really as idyllic as it is portrayed to be in NZ. There's a lot of problems there and things we take for granted in SA are hard to come by. New Zealand is about as interesting as a cardboard box- there's FUCK ALL to do there.

So instead of moaning about New Zealand, and/or admitting it was a mistake to leave SA in the first place, they will moan to anyone who listens.
The same thing happens in the hotspots in Perth too, lots of bitter, sour expatriates. That's why I don't go there anymore and told my family they can rather come and visit me and I just have to endure their moaning, and not that of Mrs Volschenk at her Perth coffee shop where she whines every day about "die k*****s het SA opgefok, fok Mandela, fok FW De Klerk" while the patrons don't understand a word she's saying.

The difference for me is I never left South Africa out of hate, so I enjoy being out here and I enjoy going back home and that is what it will always be home.

Will I come back most likely not but that is an economic decision not a I have to leave SA one.

I like spending a bit of money trying to give something back even if it is a small token.

Sonikku

The difference for me is I never left South Africa out of hate, so I enjoy being out here and I enjoy going back home and that is what it will always be home.

Will I come back most likely not but that is an economic decision not a I have to leave SA one.

I like spending a bit of money trying to give something back even if it is a small token.
You get what I mean. Those that left for economic reasons have NOTHING to say usually or say little about SA.
And if I leave, it will be for more money- although that ship has sailed now to be honest. I am too old, and it doesn't matter anyway. The economics in my world are working for overseas concerns remotely (NON AMERICAN companies). This is a lesson I had to learn from a family member on my wife's side- he got into that game early, and got stupidly rich. And right now I am not pursuing wealth, I am pursuing a comfortable income, with the ability to throw money at the problems (i.e ESKOM) by self-sufficiency. Because, let the ANC go fuck themselves, and the DA too seeing that they're a mini-version of Hitler's party and just as racist as the ANC, I want to be in my bubble, with electricity and water and comforts.

Johnatan56

You get what I mean. Those that left for economic reasons have NOTHING to say usually or say little about SA.
And if I leave, it will be for more money- although that ship has sailed now to be honest. I am too old, and it doesn't matter anyway. The economics in my world are working for overseas concerns remotely (NON AMERICAN companies). This is a lesson I had to learn from a family member on my wife's side- he got into that game early, and got stupidly rich. And right now I am not pursuing wealth, I am pursuing a comfortable income, with the ability to throw money at the problems (i.e ESKOM) by self-sufficiency. Because, let the ANC go fuck themselves, and the DA too seeing that they're a mini-version of Hitler's party and just as racist as the ANC, I want to be in my bubble, with electricity and water and comforts.
I left for political reasons due to the knock-on on economic, and municipal etc., since it causes problems with infrastructure like roads, and others like safety, and things like good seniors will leave cause it's actually pretty easy if skilled (knock-on effect of less good companies since people to work there don't exist).

I am working locally, but remotely for an AMERICAN company that is considered large (could possibly crack Fortune 500 if it weren't private); work life balance is fine/pretty good (38.5h work week, of which 6.5h is dedicated to learning opportunities, 25 days of paid leave, infinite sick leave, latter two are just all of Austria thing), and you're talking about a very large country with a lot of people, there are very different types of people -> very different types of companies. The ones that hire the most are those that are crap, so higher turnover, so hire more.

Haven't given up my RSA citizenship since I have no need, by birth Austrian, but every RSA I know here will (or has) given up South African citizenship, and I haven't actually met anyone that's considering going back to South Africa (especially since Austrian citizenship allows longer visits to South Africa, so it's fine).

And you're GENERALIZING those who emigrated to NZ without actually knowing about it, if e.g. FB group, that's an echo chamber.

(And money is good, was while working in South Africa as well, intermediate in RSA was ~R60k gross pm 2020/21, I've basically doubled that as net here with a similar cost of living, again, dependent on you, where you are, and the company you work for; generally more boring work in software pays better, but be careful that it's not a sweat shop).

Last edited:

satanboy

I signed with an agent to sell my apartment.

So we need to declutter and then photos to be taken.

biometrics

I'm not keen on that side of the coast. If I was forced to I would look at Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay or Gordon's Bay.
I'm over the west coast, bleak and desolate. Constant wind.

Pringle Bay and Betty's Bay burns down every few years. I would not take a chance there.

biometrics

I was interested in Wellington, but the SO is not keen due to the heat and snakes.
Noooo! It is fucking hot there. Kinda boring too.

Are you open to any town? What are you looking for?

If you don’t need to be on the coast, Napier has become quite popular, we know people that moved there.