The Chat Room

Nicholas

I am going to need to buy a new router at the end of this month.
but I have no clue what to look for in a router. where to even start.
1. What type of router do you need to buy, fibre, 5G, or LTE/A?
2. Find out what routers fit within your budget
3. Run online searches for router buying guides and reviews of the routers you are considering.

Does this get you started?

Baxteen

Router for my Fiber, because the one I got with the installation is limited to 100mbs.

biometrics

Router for my Fiber, because the one I got with the installation is limited to 100mbs.
I’m only getting my first fibre install this month but doesn’t the fibre terminate in the ONT and then you can use any router with that? Or is it special fibre routers that connect to the ONT?

Baxteen

you can use any router.
but the one I have now kinda sucks a lot. so I want to get a better one.

that is what I am reasearching between work today

biometrics

How long does an LTE router usually last? I've been wondering how much longer mine will be useful.
My B525 is from 2018 and still going. No reason for it not to last a decade. I did brick a B315 trying to enable band B40, but that's my fault.

wizardofid

you can use any router.
but the one I have now kinda sucks a lot. so I want to get a better one.

that is what I am reasearching between work today

You can get a 1 gigabit router, with a 100 megabit line, devices connected to the router is going to bottleneck, pending storage speeds, at least that is how I understand it. If you have a 1gigabit line and a 1 gigabit router, but SSD can only write data at 200megabit, the system is the bottleneck it can't read and write the data any faster. In reverse the network data is going to be limited by the internet speed, regardless of the network speed. Throwing a higher bandwidth router at the problem is still going to limit it. Local traffic on the otherhand will benefit greatly.

Remember reading about this somewhere I could be wrong, not sure.....lol

wizardofid

My B525 is from 2018 and still going. No reason for it not to last a decade. I did brick a B315 trying to enable band B40, but that's my fault.
Still using my B315....will eventually get another router, preferably cat 6 or higher.

Baxteen

that is 100% what the problem is now.
Router is limited to 100mbs.
line is 200mbs.
laptop is only 100mbs.
phones can handle more than 100mbs on wifi but is not getting any more than 100mbs.
first step, new Router, second step new wifi card for the media PC so I can remove the massive long cat5 cable going to it.
after that USB type C doc for my laptop and by then we will likely have upgraded the wife's laptop as well

wizardofid

that is 100% what the problem is now.
Router is limited to 100mbs.
line is 200mbs.
laptop is only 100mbs.
phones can handle more than 100mbs on wifi but is not getting any more than 100mbs.
first step, new Router, second step new wifi card for the media PC so I can remove the massive long cat5 cable going to it.
after that USB type C doc for my laptop and by then we will likely have upgraded the wife's laptop as well
Yeah then you should upgrade. :) for the internet at least, local network will benefit as well with some devices but not all.