The Chat Room

satanboy

What was the last component you bought?

Mine was a power supply after it went "bang!" Superflower, several years old. Replaced with a 550W semi-modular Corsair unit.
a laptop

lol

I need to replace the battery, but I just haven't bothered.

biometrics

Sensible. Why spend money if you don't need to?

My brother's employer replaces laptops every two years. i think it's nuts.
I just received a Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 3. It’s a 2020 model for R17.5k. The latest 2022 gen 5 model sells for R70k! Sure it has a newer CPU and GPU so is 20% faster but for me this upgrade is huge.

Nicholas

I just received a Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 3. It’s a 2020 model for R17.5k. The latest 2022 gen 5 model sells for R70k! Sure it has a newer CPU and GPU so is 20% faster but for me this upgrade is huge.
Exactly. I have an ongoing discussion with a friend about what we would do if we needed to replace motherboard, CPU, and RAM.
While he is all for getting the latest with an eye towards upgrading certain components in the next 2-3 years, I know that I won't be doing regular upgrades so I would rather, for example, opt for AM4 than AM5. Should still be substantial increase in performance, even if it doesn't have nvme storage. SSD is enough for me.

It helps that I am slowly working through my games library rather than chasing after more recently-published titles. [There has already been a demo that demanded 16Gb of RAM just to run.]

satanboy

Sometimes, we would do well to stop and ask whether we might be expecting too much from ourselves.
Maybe you overthink things too much.

Sometimes at work, although I knew much more than all my colleagues (in my field) I felt like a fraud.

Nicholas

Maybe you overthink things too much.

Sometimes at work, although I knew much more than all my colleagues (in my field) I felt like a fraud.
Possibly. I live in my head much of the time if you know what I mean, and my mind is apt to wander, which is a nuisance at work.

That sounds like Imposter Syndrome to me.

Nicholas

Sometimes, I try to imagine what I might say or how I might act in imaginary scenarios.

While I was approaching the front door of Beatty House yesterday afternoon, I recalled how I had once been woken up while in hospital by a newly-admitted and still drunk new patient trying to kiss me. :LOL: [We were not amused] Note: NOT one of those hypothetical scenarios.

Baxteen

thinking about getting my GF to sign up to some Ashley Maddison style websites.
I think it would do her confidence good to see what is out there, see if it can fill some kinks.
who knows maybe she can find the sugar daddy she so desperately wants. She jokes about that because she wants to find a better job and feels nepotism is the only way forward