The Chat Room

Nicholas

Vumatel maintenance in my suburb was completed around 16H00 yesterday. Still no active Service and Broadband LEDS on my fibre box, though.
Do these people not know that the world revolves around me?!

satanboy

Vumatel maintenance in my suburb was completed around 16H00 yesterday. Still no active Service and Broadband LEDS on my fibre box, though.
Do these people not know that the world revolves around me?!
Have you told them who you are?

:ROFLMAO:

biometrics

Looks like my 11 year old Lenovo Thinkpad X230 is on its last legs. Several times this week would’ve get past POST and had to cycle power. Longest I’ve used one PC ever.

Thinking X1 Carbon as a replacement…

Nicholas

Looks like my 11 year old Lenovo Thinkpad X230 is on its last legs. Several times this week would’ve get past POST and had to cycle power. Longest I’ve used one PC ever.

Enjoying shopping for a new machine.

DA-LION-619

Love my Lenovo but when it goes I can’t think of any Windows replacement on the market that is worth it.

biometrics

Love my Lenovo but when it goes I can’t think of any Windows replacement on the market that is worth it.
I’ve gone Apple everything for my personal gear but for work it’s Windows and Linux. Can’t see myself getting away from that. So Windows and a Thinkpad it is.

biometrics

Good website to buy Lenovo Thinkpads from? I see Pinnacle is a reseller, will check if we are still dealers (like ten years later), the rest are retail.

Dave

I would love to live in this place

Yes there are things I would change - but not that many

Farningham Ridge? :oops::oops:

You know that area was already a relatively high crime area back in the 80's/90's. I'd not expect it to have got any better since then...

Johnatan56

Good website to buy Lenovo Thinkpads from? I see Pinnacle is a reseller, will check if we are still dealers (like ten years later), the rest are retail.
Having thinkpads at work, super disappointed in their last few years. If non-P series they are all insane in throttling for coding, and video calls with multiple people are bad. They're designed at like 15-20W throttling after 10s for a 28W CPU, halves the performance to crap, even in performance mode. This is with a: T15 (gen 1 and 2 I think), T16 (1270P). The P15v is a lot better, their 45W configs.

Note though that up until recently, there was a shortage for thinkpads, still a shortage on the P series.

I'd probably just buy a cheaper laptop at half the price, then another in 5 years, not worth it since warranty in South Africa sucks, besides Lenovo throttling, and the P series you're not gaming, so why pay the premium?

Wootware also sells them as an aside.

Baxteen

I am also on a Thinkpad for work now.
also not a fan.
I think the Dell XPS series is just a better buy. my boss just upgraded to one and it is much better. less tearing on large video calls, Wi-Fi is more stable with less dropping. and battery life is insane.
because we don't pay for them I cant really comment on the cost unfortunately.
I would stick to dell or HP and try and stay in the enterprise grade rather than go enterprise in lenovo.
my personal laptop is also a lenovo but that is a completely different thing with a very different use and specs.

Nicholas

because we don't pay for them I cant really comment on the cost unfortunately.
My brother is in a similar situation: fancy new Core i7 Dell or HP laptop every two years with the option to buy two-year old models for R2000-R3000. AGSA seems to have money to burn.

biometrics

Would you prefer to use Apple devices for work if you could?
I’ve been using a Macbook Air in the evenings and can’t see myself using it as my work machine. After so many years using Windows, MacOS is just too different. Besides there are lots of Windows only apps I still use and I don’t want to use a VM.