The Chat Room

satanboy

Why is employee of the month not good?

An ”Employee of the Month” award tends to focus only on one person's achievements. This means that they often overlook others who may have also worked equally hard that month. In many companies, it is not a single person who achieves goals, but rather a group of individuals.

scudsucker

...but rather a group of individuals.
I saved my client an estimated £800 000 p/a by careful attention to log files and spotting an inconsistency.

I reported to the client that my team had found it, because without my team, I would never have got there. You have to give credit to the people around you who support you.

Baxteen

what a week. was off sick for 3 days. did 5 days worth of work yesterday and working from home today again.

yay being a team of 1!

Nicholas

Did you get it?

Just another way for management to show the middle finger to the rest of the staff.
No, I am not eligible for the award. One of the criteria is that nominees must be full-time staff members.
I think that the work I do precludes me judging from the motivations given when staff members make nominations.

The person presenting the award reads out the honourable mentions and why they were nominated before announcing that month's winner.
I'm inclined to agree with what satanboy said. Why not mention the nominees' families, friends and upbringing as well. The winner from a few months ago won because, despite being sick in bed, he got up to answer a call from someone in our server room, and took them through what needed to be done to recover from whatever went wrong [Don't quote me on the details.] This saved the company some embarrassment with some important client. I don't think that it is healthy to promote this sort of thing. When I was in high school, I imposed unrealistic expectations upon myself and drove myself to tears working so that I would do well enough to get something at annual prizegiving. Winning something felt empty, yet I was at it again the next year. :rolleyes::cautious: Eejit!

Last edited:

Nicholas

HR wants staff to go to a refresher on Employment Equity on 28/11, so this will effectively be a no-work day for me. It is scheduled for 09H00-14H00, but I have asked if I can leave at 13H00 in accordance with my working hours. I do feel that this exercise is a waste of my time. We had this 2-3 years ago, and I have become so disconnected from ELCB as a result of working from "home" that I wonder what the benefit of this training is for me.

Is this something employers are required to do by law?

The nature of my work means that I hardly ever interact with other staff members, and now I only see them once a week. Also, who they decide to employ and why is irrelevant to me.

Last edited: