The Chat Room

Düber

They are large enough you can describe the legs?! Wtf
I wouldn't say large but they are distinctive, and they are nasty.

The bite itches like hell and takes a long while to go down and subsequent bites cause all the others to itch again

biometrics

;) one more reason to live in the Cape.
Our ants and mozzies are smaller it seems. Even had to get ant poison suitable for our puny ants (they couldn't carry the previous bait). Our mozzies are very hard to see.

Jings

Yes I think it's all the rain, even after spraying the room, as soon as I am comfy in bed the buzzing starts and I have to put a fan on. Usually they are long gone by now.
Do you also get the black ones with stripey legs in the South?

Yes, are those stripey leg ones a little more dangerous?

Düber

Yes, are those stripey leg ones a little more dangerous?

Nah just more of a nuisance.

None of the species in this group transmit the malaria parasite. The small, black and white-striped 'bush mosquito' (Aedes aegyptii) is common in our area. Within South Africa it has a similar distribution to Toxorhynchites but extends further south to the western Cape. Its original home is believed to be West Africa but it has been spread by human commerce and is now found throughout the world's tropical and subtropical regions.

It has a decided preference for human blood and is commonly found in and around human dwellings. This is the nuisance species that bites during the day and early evening. They breed easily in water trapped by garden plants and domestic containers. They do not transmit malaria. Further north they are the principle carriers of yellow fever which is endemic to West Africa and the warmer parts of the Americas.

Nicholas

Seeing as I couldn't work because of load shedding between 09H00 and 12H00 today, I took a walk to Vincent Hardware to find out if they had any kettle plugs. Talk about feeling like a fish out of water! They did, and I bought one.

Jings

Seeing as I couldn't work because of load shedding between 09H00 and 12H00 today, I took a walk to Vincent Hardware to find out if they had any kettle plugs. Talk about feeling like a fish out of water! They did, and I bought one.
Fantabulous. Who said loadshedding doesn't gave its benefits?