The 2021 F1 thread

Düber

Dave

Düber

What a stupid idea, so for the hope of 3 points the teams get an extra chance to smash up their car or suffer mechanical damage the day before the actual race?

I thought they were trying to bring costs down in F1?

I agree, perhaps I'm too old school but my feeling is that this will cheapen the sport and turn it into a horse and pony show.
I want to see wild guys, wheel to wheel like a group of Banshee's trying to win without being concerned about trivialities.

Dave

I agree, perhaps I'm too old school but my feeling is that this will cheapen the sport and turn it into a horse and pony show.
I want to see wild guys, wheel to wheel like a group of Banshee's trying to win without being concerned about trivialities.

You are more likely going to see the big teams tiptoe around the track trying to keep out of trouble and then hoping they can make up the lost places on Sunday.

It seems like a rushed idea without any thought of the possible issues, for example, do the teams get an extra engine for the season? Considering it’s almost another GP over the three weekends.

Düber

You are more likely going to see the big teams tiptoe around the track trying to keep out of trouble and then hoping they can make up the lost places on Sunday.
That's exactly what is going to happen, except for the guy on pole everyone else is just going to be on a Sunday (cough..Saturday) drive.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so negative and see what it is actually like in practice. :unsure:

satanboy

That's exactly what is going to happen, except for the guy on pole everyone else is just going to be on a Sunday (cough..Saturday) drive.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so negative and see what it is actually like in practice. :unsure:
Not much difference in what happens currently:

Lewis Hamilton 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Practice 1: 25 Laps

Practice 2: 35 Laps

Practice 3: 17 Laps

Qualifying: 19 Laps

Now the race distance he did complete (as winner) has been provided as 305.355 km. Pole position is much further forward than the Start/Finish line so he wouldn’t do a full lap until lap 2. Plus for his pit-stop he goes through the pits and not the correct distance either so a +/- variance.

Practice and Qualifying he completed 96 laps. Even though it’s not given to the metre what distance travelled, we’ll use a full lap distance.

96 laps* 5.554km= 533.184

Düber

Well it remains to be seen, but I can't see the chaps giving it their all in the sprint race. Free practice and qualifying is a lot more controlled and meant for a driver to essentially race himself,

That is a very interesting calculation, I have never thought of it like that.

Dave

Lewis Hamilton 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Practice 1: 25 Laps

Practice 2: 35 Laps

Practice 3: 17 Laps

Qualifying: 19 Laps

Now the race distance he did complete (as winner) has been provided as 305.355 km. Pole position is much further forward than the Start/Finish line so he wouldn’t do a full lap until lap 2. Plus for his pit-stop he goes through the pits and not the correct distance either so a +/- variance.

Practice and Qualifying he completed 96 laps. Even though it’s not given to the metre what distance travelled, we’ll use a full lap distance.

96 laps* 5.554km= 533.184

I’m not sure what your stats are saying, could you elaborate?

Remember that practice and qualifying still happen, the extra 100km for the sprint race is an additional 100km, which teams are going to want to go an extra 300km at full race pace when they’re already struggling to complete the season on the current power unit allocation? All for the sake of a possible 3 points if they actually win.

LD50

I’m not sure what your stats are saying, could you elaborate?

Remember that practice and qualifying still happen, the extra 100km for the sprint race is an additional 100km, which teams are going to want to go an extra 300km at full race pace when they’re already struggling to complete the season on the current power unit allocation? All for the sake of a possible 3 points if they actually win.
With budget caps this season, teams running out of parts towards the end and additional risks of serious damage to cars...yeah this is a super idea
FIA

Seldom Bucket

I wonder if we'll see Russell in a Merc next year, he got some great pace out of that car, even though it was only FP1/2

Blantyre

I'm really rooting for Daruvala to get a seat in F1. He certainly does not look like potential World Championship material but could be a contender for the Alpha Tauri seat next season if Gasly moves on. F1 could seriously do with a competitive driver from the developing world, especially India.