Sunday Roasts

BloodrayneZA

As you all may be aware that I’ve been living in the UK, since 19 May 2019.

Sunday roasts are very popular here - almost every pub and restaurant has it every Sunday.

Today I am making a roast pork with crackling, roast potatoes, beans, carrots, spring greens (cabbage), cauliflower and of course gluten-free Yorkshire puddings.

Will post pic later when it’s all cooked. I spend an hour prepping everything to start at 11am as it takes an hour and half-ish for the pork to cook throughly.

Y2K

Sunday roasts are very popular here - almost every pub and restaurant has it every Sunday.

Today I am making a roast pork with crackling, roast potatoes, beans, carrots, spring greens (cabbage), cauliflower and of course gluten-free Yorkshire puddings.

Will post pic later when it’s all cooked. I spend an hour prepping everything to start at 11am as it takes an hour and half-ish for the pork to cook throughly.
Sounds like a date😉

Y2K

How do you find the way of life on that side? What do you love about it and what makes you miss South Africa?

BloodrayneZA

How do you find the way of life on that side? What do you love about it and what makes you miss South Africa?
I miss my wild hares and the landscape but dam I don’t miss the cold lol. Life in the UK is a lot better - good support systems for the deaf and everyone is willing to help in any way they can.

Textile Guy

Will post pic later
when it’s all cooked. I spend an hour prepping everything to start at 11am as it takes an hour and half-ish for the pork to cook throughly.

Yorkshire pud ..... whooooo, havent had that in years ..... :love:, with a gravy and roast beef .........

I swear, if I was closer, I would invite myself over for lunch .................... please, post pics!!

mbayshark

Pork belly, crispy potatoes and shrooms...
e431cc65060fe07a549fe82456ed6742.jpg
f1b86bc9586ab0fe71ad5f15c934e280.jpg
f8a7b821940bc6869cbf6a0be867f479.jpg

BloodrayneZA

Yorkshire pud ..... whooooo, havent had that in years ..... :love:, with a gravy and roast beef .........

I swear, if I was closer, I would invite myself over for lunch .................... please, post pics!!
There is a recipe for Yorkshire puddings in a thread Emam started on recipes in the food talk thread

BloodrayneZA

Errr I know Sunday roasts are usually at 12-2pm ish but my housemate insisted I do it for the evening. So I’m starting it at 5pm for it to be ready by 7pm

biometrics

I bought a chicken before lockdown and it's been in the freezer since. Got a nice chicken roast recipe?

BloodrayneZA

I bought a chicken before lockdown and it's been in the freezer since. Got a nice chicken roast recipe?
Yep i do - recipe was handed down 3 generations in the family. Too bad very few people get to enjoy it.
  • Mixed herbs
  • Paprika
  • Dried garlic flakes
  • Any chicken seasoning you like - it can be spicy too
Pat dry the chicken and trim any excess fat hanging out. Rub all over with cooking oil including wings.

then sprinkle herbs, a big of paprika and garlic plus ground salt / pepper to the chicken, including the wing

Pour a bit of water to the bottom of the casserole dish with the chicken sitting in it. This will be used later for gravy.

bake in oven on 180*C for about an hour and half or til juice in breast section runs clear. Even better if you have a thermometer to check if it’s cooked through - 75*C is safe but I prefer it sitting at 80.

transfer chicken to carving plate, turn temp down to keep it warm and crisp up the wings a bit more. Who doesn’t like crunchy chicken wings?

now keep that casserole dish as the juice has been baking - if it’s mostly evaporated, add a bit of boiling water, scrap well and transfer to a pot. You will be making gravy with it. Add stock pot if you need more flavour. A teaspoon of herbs. Pinch of garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Make a cornflour paste while the gravy is cooking for a bit then add cornflour to thicken it. Between 1-3 teaspoons depending how much liquid you have left.

Roasted vegetables are nice with that or you can just boil / steam any vegetable to your liking.

Now if you like stuffing, my gran always made this with bread crumbs, egg, lots of thyme and sage. Just mix well and stuff inside the cavity.

BloodrayneZA

im in the mood for a sunday roast but im also not in the mood for cooking
guess i will skip today then (y) 🍺 ooo look the boeing has gone over, lets start drinking instead
Lol I've not done one for a while and I need to pop over to my housemate's place as he wants me to cook him a roast chicken with all the works. he's working today so it's just not happening so I may go over tomorrow. May well be a good time to take a break from the PC and studies for a day.

Jings

im in the mood for a sunday roast but im also not in the mood for cooking
guess i will skip today then (y) ooo look the boeing has gone over, lets start drinking instead
Just get a Sunday roast from Top Grill. Do you have a Monza that drives backwards?