Solar, inverter, battery thread

Tinuva

Oh you’ll still very much need it to set your reserve accordingly if you want or maximise battery use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do you still manage this manually?

Thankfully my home assistant automation for setting on-grid depth of discharge so far have worked perfectly managing the battery even at stage6, though only really tested during the summer. Winter will be more interesting.

biometrics

If you have a geyser timer, what is your strategy?

1. On 24h/bypass
2. On during the day
3. On just before you need it

SauRoN

Do you still manage this manually?

Thankfully my home assistant automation for setting on-grid depth of discharge so far have worked perfectly managing the battery even at stage6, though only really tested during the summer. Winter will be more interesting.

Yeah I’ve just not gotten around to having a look.

Also a bit hesitant pushing data to the inverter but I don’t really know why as it’s never stopped me before.

Tinuva

Yeah I’ve just not gotten around to having a look.

Also a bit hesitant pushing data to the inverter but I don’t really know why as it’s never stopped me before.

Maybe because it's a high power device and so you less comfortable playing around with it. Only you will know. Does make manually updating settings less of a chore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

SauRoN

If you have a geyser timer, what is your strategy?

1. On 24h/bypass
2. On during the day
3. On just before you need it

1. Goes on when PV hits 4kW with the logic that when it gets there it can easily carry the 3kW load and the battery has already charged a bit.

2. Failing that turns on 5 hours after sunrise.

3. Turns on after load shedding if the sun is still up.

4. Turns off at sun set and or 18:00.

If it’s turned on manually after dark then it turns off after 30 min.

SauRoN

Maybe because it's a high power device and so you less comfortable playing around with it. Only you will know. Does make manually updating settings less of a chore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Oh no it’s not the voltage or power.

Likely just the cost and more so inconvenience if it somehow goes wrong.

biometrics

1. Goes on when PV hits 4kW with the logic that when it gets there it can easily carry the 3kW load and the battery has already charged a bit.

2. Failing that turns on 5 hours after sunrise.

3. Turns on after load shedding if the sun is still up.

4. Turns off at sun set and or 18:00.

If it’s turned on manually after dark then it turns off after 30 min.

What do you use to do that logic and switching?

biometrics

Currently my setup is working great, 50% min SoC, geyser on from 8am to 6pm. It remains above 50% overnight with no grid usage.

But I haven’t switched on my server rack yet as I’m waiting for them to come back and finish the job (few minor things). It’s three lowish power PC’s and an external drive, so maybe another 200W.

I’m fully charged within three hours (by 10am) even on the past two overcast days.

Think I may have over specified the system a bit… lol. But worth it! Certainly future proof.

So will likely drop it to 45-40%.

SauRoN

Think I may have over specified the system a bit… lol. But worth it! Certainly future proof.

Not at all.

Winter is going to be very different and only then will you know if you’ve even specced it enough.

The worst days of summer will already tell a very different story.

biometrics

Not at all.

Winter is going to be very different and only then will you know if you’ve even specced it enough.

The worst days of summer will already tell a very different story.

Fair enough, the overcast was brighter than a shitty winter’s day.

Can easily add more PV if needed. The 8kW inverter seems sufficient and the 10kWh battery seems fine too. So maybe more PV, will see.

But very happy for now.

Arzy

I'm stuck in conveyancing limbo. Waiting for 1 fucking clearance certificate and everyone is basically tossing up their hands and saying they can't do anything, just wait.

Before I can finalize my system I need to have proper access to the house. I don't know if it has single or three-phase power for example which could be a R15k difference on the inverter.

Current owner sent me their power bill though and I was surprised how little they use, R1.8k per month, but it is direct supply from eskom so tarrif is lower and they are only 2 people.

SauRoN

I'm stuck in conveyancing limbo. Waiting for 1 fucking clearance certificate and everyone is basically tossing up their hands and saying they can't do anything, just wait.

Before I can finalize my system I need to have proper access to the house. I don't know if it has single or three-phase power for example which could be a R15k difference on the inverter.

Current owner sent me their power bill though and I was surprised how little they use, R1.8k per month, but it is direct supply from eskom so tarrif is lower and they are only 2 people.

Surely the power bill states if it’s single or three phase?

biometrics

Finally got my bill after four months and at about R1,400 incl VAT a month for two people. Now it’s going to be near zero.

Last edited:

biometrics

Oh and no basic charge in CoCT. In the Overstrand there was a basic/infrastructure charge of about R400 iirc before you use a kW.

biometrics

@SauRoN do you also notice your inverter sipping a bit from the grid even when there is enough PV? Not all the time but certainly noticeable.

SauRoN

Oh and no basic charge in CoCT. In the Overstrand there was a basic/infrastructure charge of about R400 iirc before you use a kW.

You should have a basic charge of R212 incl VAT.

SauRoN

@SauRoN do you also notice your inverter sipping a bit from the grid even when there is enough PV? Not all the time but certainly noticeable.

Perfectly normal when you aren’t feeding back.

64a7ef4430d51910703bf786a7b158f2.jpg

It stops the meters from going into a tamper state and locking up.

Default is 20W but I’ve tuned mine down to 5W with no issues so far.