Solar, inverter, battery thread

Arzy

Right, so seems like we're moving to our new place 4 February.

Anyone have a view on gosolr?

biometrics

Right, so seems like we're moving to our new place 4 February.

Anyone have a view on gosolr?
solaradvice.co.za is handy to start with before selecting supplier & installer, their prices are about average and it shows finance costs as well. Remember to select the installation option. I bought from powerforum-store.co.za and have a Cape based installer.

Last edited:

Arzy

Good idea I guess if you don't have the funds.
Have the funds but I feel they can be better used.

Actually like just paying the rental and having all the maintenance being someone else's problem.

Arzy

Gosolr is a rental company. They come spec your requirements, install and you pay them monthly for the full setup.

They monitor the system off-site and should something not be working they replace it and also come do annual cleaning of the panels.

You have the option to buy out the system at any stage or cancel and pay a removal fee.

Düber

Gosolr is a rental company. They come spec your requirements, install and you pay them monthly for the full setup.

They monitor the system off-site and should something not be working they replace it and also come do annual cleaning of the panels.

You have the option to buy out the system at any stage or cancel and pay a removal fee.
It is an interesting option, I wonder what the cost to buy will be after the three years.

biometrics

I've gone the fully owned route. All in R210k for 8kW inverter, 10 kWh battery, 7kW panels. I used the recent home sale and purchase to finance it.

Arzy

Ran some numbers on the various options and may actually just purchase the damn system and get it done with.

Deye 8kW Hybrid Inverter
19 Panels
3 Dyness 5.12kWh batteries

Should theoretically cover 96% of my power requirements with 7 hours backup.

May actually be overkill as I'm sure there are efficiencies to be found.

biometrics

Ran some numbers on the various options and may actually just purchase the damn system and get it done with.

Deye 8kW Hybrid Inverter
19 Panels

I’m all for over speccing a solar install. Rather have too much than too little.

SauRoN

Deye 8kW Hybrid Inverter
19 Panels

Sounds pretty good and the efficiencies would be won in where the panels go to make the most of their time of day transition.

I have 5 + 9 facing north and looking to add another 5-6 + MPPT on the Auxiliary interface facing East to get power going earlier in the morning where I lose out especially in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arzy

Sounds pretty good and the efficiencies would be won in where the panels go to make the most of their time of day transition.

I have 5 + 9 facing north and looking to add another 5-6 + MPPT on the Auxiliary interface facing East to get power going earlier in the morning where I lose out especially in the winter.

Yeah, need to think about where the panels go now. House is north facing and the roof is angled east/west, may just split 50/50. That way at least half the panels will get sun all day.

Arzy

For clarity

bc15f2c41ac515ed69253bb946e6a2e9.jpg

SauRoN

Yeah, need to think about where the panels go now. House is north facing and the roof is angled east/west, may just split 50/50. That way at least half the panels will get sun all day.

Aah that sucks because you are going to have some not so ideal losses.

Explains the huge amount of panels.

I’d probably put 10 east and 9 west then if the MPPT’s can support that voltage.

Even better just 10 + 10 with two strings of 5 each so they are balanced.

biometrics

That is a pool, no plans to build an afdak
My set up isn't much different though I have a small north facing roof section connection the east and west sides. About 15 degrees off north. So I'm going to have 9 panels roughly east facing and 6 north. 460W each for 7kW total.
I have two MPPTs that support two strings each. So I can add on. But the strings per MPPT needs to be orientated the same way, I assume to have similar voltage. But I think 7kW is going to be just fine.

1673724537868.png

Last edited:

Spizz

Anyone have an opinion on this battery:-

I've got 2 x LBSA 5.1 kWh batteries. Great batteries, great price and good support form the company. Make sure your installer knows how to set up the BMS with the inverter you have and they will work like a charm ( I've got an 8kW Victron)

biometrics

@biometrics
What is the name of the company you are using and why did you choose them?
Bought the hardware from powerforum-store because of a recommendation on mybb. They have a forum too with lots of knowledgable people. They in turn recommended dontuwire for the installation. I liked their approach of inspecting/measuring the roof and db and generating a proposal based on that.

Installing tomorrow, yay.

Last edited: