Solar, inverter, battery thread

biometrics

Last edited:

bigAl-sa

I don't quite get the different inverter types.

Bottom line, when there is Eskom I want to use that with no limit. When there isn't I want to have the backup power switched to automatically.

When it's on battery I expect to use no more than 1kW continuous, with the occasional 5-20 minute peak using a 2kW kettle or a 3kW stove (not at the same time).
You should rather get a gas cylinder and cooker for cooking and boiling water.

biometrics

I've got a little Bush Baby gas cylinder but it's not convenient and the housemate doesn't want to use it.

Nah, by my calculation it's going to work out just fine using the kettle or even the stove for short periods.

Spizz

Its main function is as a timer. Regular plug point.

View attachment 11975

This is what I see now for my webcam. I'm using the timer to reset it once a day as it's become a bit flaky.

View attachment 11974

Very handy, I've often thought to get some of these wifi things. WRT the consumption, excuse my dofness, but is this now just for the appliance or whatever you have plugged into this adaptor?

Spizz

I've got a gas hob and an electric oven. The oven and the geyser remain on the Eskom side so we do without them when loadshedding is on and that's perfectly fine for me due to their big draw.

biometrics

Very handy, I've often thought to get some of these wifi things. WRT the consumption, excuse my dofness, but is this now just for the appliance or whatever you have plugged into this adaptor?
Whatever you have plugged into it, being one or many. I'll do my fridge separately, but in my study I'll do everything in one go as they are all on a power strip.

biometrics

I've got a gas hob and an electric oven. The oven and the geyser remain on the Eskom side so we do without them when loadshedding is on and that's perfectly fine for me due to their big draw.
An oven can draw 3000W max, so if you run it 20 minutes that's 1000Wh (3000W x 0.333h) of your 4800Wh battery. So you actually can. I'm going to do that but obviously use it sparingly and only if I really want to (like when I want a pizza now!). Geyser will stay on grid.

Spizz

An oven can draw 3000W max, so if you run it 20 minutes that's 1000Wh (3000W x 0.333h) of your 4800Wh battery. So you actually can. I'm going to do that but obviously use it sparingly and only if I really want to (like when I want a pizza now!). Geyser will stay on grid.

Yeah, we use the airfryer more these days for oven duties anyway, so it's no biggie in the grand scale of things. I just got home and after 2 hours of loadshedding with the washing machine on for the whole time the battery is still between 75 and 100%, and the load shown on the inverter is below 25% and running from the PV. So plenty of capacity there for us but I'm happy to keep the loads lower as no doubt the stages will increase and loadshedding will come fast and furious so maybe we won't get the chance to fully charge the battery every time.

biometrics

Yeah, we use the airfryer more these days for oven duties anyway, so it's no biggie in the grand scale of things. I just got home and after 2 hours of loadshedding with the washing machine on for the whole time the battery is still between 75 and 100%, and the load shown on the inverter is below 25% and running from the PV. So plenty of capacity there for us but I'm happy to keep the loads lower as no doubt the stages will increase and loadshedding will come fast and furious so maybe we won't get the chance to fully charge the battery every time.
Same system as yours minus the solar. Solar can be added at any point. Can also stack the inverters and batteries if you want to increase capacity or load. This is the hybrid system vs the online system. More expensive, but ultimately better.

@Tinuva @Sinbad What do you think? Is the labour/setup and electrical not excessive or is that fair? Inverter seems about right, the battery could get for R5k less but some brands are at that price.

1616154115469.png

Spizz

Same system as yours minus the solar. Solar can be added at any point. Can also stack the inverters and batteries if you want to increase capacity or load. This is the hybrid system vs the online system. More expensive, but ultimately better.

@Tinuva @Sinbad What do you think? Is the labour/setup and electrical not excessive or is that fair? Inverter seems about right, the battery could get for R5k less but some brands are at that price.

View attachment 11984

Is that from the guy I sent you my quote from?

TBF, knowing what I know now and how this has changed my life, I'd pay that just to get through loadshedding and sod the PV for now.

biometrics

TBF, knowing what I know now and how this has changed my life, I'd pay that just to get through loadshedding and sod the PV for now.
Same guy.

Turns out he knows my company, they sold a similar product from a competitor.

Last edited:

biometrics

I noticed he gave you discounts on the line items and not to me, so I've pointed that out and asked he extends that to me too. ;)

Rudolph Hart

No it is wired to the db. But I'm pretty sure I would know if the house has three phase. It's not normal to have that surely?
Not normal, and would have a higher connection fee. Also the incoming breaker would be three pole not two.