Red Dead Online

biometrics

Still no reply from Rockstar. Probably too late to get a refund from Steam.

biometrics

Finally got a reply:

-Start the Rockstar Games Launcher
-Select Settings
-Select Account Information
-Select Delete Local Profile
Note: This will remove all profile details from your local machine and require you to sign in to the Rockstar Games Launcher again. It will not delete your Social Club account or any saved games. Signing in to Social Club will recreate your local profile.
-Select Confirm
-Sign in to the Rockstar Games Launcher again
-Launch the game.

I did what they advised exactly and on launching the game changed a bit in that there was three intro screens I didn't see before, of which the first gave me some freebies. But once at the character creation screen the Confirm button is still disabled:

Cant select character as confirm button is disabled.jpg

So I am still stuck.

Johnatan56

Finally got a reply:

I did what they advised exactly and on launching the game changed a bit in that there was three intro screens I didn't see before, of which the first gave me some freebies. But once at the character creation screen the Confirm button is still disabled:

View attachment 9791

So I am still stuck.
Did you validate the local files cache in steam?

biometrics

Did not realize Steam had a new interface.

Only thing I can think of is install it all on a new/friends machine and try to create the char on there.
New instructions received, though I am not uninstalling and reinstalling the game, that's 120 GB. I assume Steam will re-download it then:
---------------------------

To perform a clean install of the Rockstar Games Launcher, please complete all of the following steps below:

Uninstall the Rockstar Games Launcher

• Close any Rockstar Games titles that are running
  • Navigate to the Rockstar Games Launcher Installation folder
    • Default: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Launcher
  • Double-click the uninstall.exe program and uninstall the Rockstar Games Launcher
  • Leave the prompt to uninstall the game data unchecked.

Remove any remaining Rockstar Games Launcher and Social Club files

• Once the uninstaller has completed, delete all of the following folders
    NOTE: Do not delete any other folders or files as you may lose game save or other data.
    • C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Rockstar Games\Social Club
    • C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Rockstar Games\Launcher
    • C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games \Launcher
      • (wherever it was installed previously)
    • C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Social Club
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club
  • Restart your computer

Reinstall the Rockstar Games Launcher:

Please uninstall and reinstall the game as well.

Johnatan56

New instructions received, though I am not uninstalling and reinstalling the game, that's 120 GB. I assume Steam will re-download it then:
---------------------------

To perform a clean install of the Rockstar Games Launcher, please complete all of the following steps below:

Uninstall the Rockstar Games Launcher

• Close any Rockstar Games titles that are running
  • Navigate to the Rockstar Games Launcher Installation folder
    • Default: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Launcher
  • Double-click the uninstall.exe program and uninstall the Rockstar Games Launcher
  • Leave the prompt to uninstall the game data unchecked.

Remove any remaining Rockstar Games Launcher and Social Club files

• Once the uninstaller has completed, delete all of the following folders
    NOTE: Do not delete any other folders or files as you may lose game save or other data.
    • C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Rockstar Games\Social Club
    • C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Rockstar Games\Launcher
    • C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games \Launcher
      • (wherever it was installed previously)
    • C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Social Club
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club
  • Restart your computer

Reinstall the Rockstar Games Launcher:

Please uninstall and reinstall the game as well.
That's a bit insane. I'd spin up a VM, clone RDO into the common folder and have Steam pick it up as new (as in clone it into steamapp/common and then start steam and hit install on steam, it will discover existing files and do the same as verifying files). Should sort out any issues of your own system being the problem. Just not sure in regards to VM GPU pass through, only done that on Linux.

EDIT: Gpu passthrough seems to be a mission since they moved to DDA, what an annoyance. Can't share the host one's either it seems. So rather just move RDO into a new folder, uninstall it and the social launcher, then close steam and move the game back into common and do the steam install.

Last edited:

biometrics

*SIGH*

Finally. Must be old age.

If you look at the screenshots above you will see it says at the bottom "You must assign your character's attribute". When I go into attributes all three is at 50%. To me it looked assigned. What I didn't realise is that I have two attribute "points" I need to assign to those. So adding one to Health and Stamina and now the Confirm button is enabled. It is CLEAR AS FUCKING MUD!!!

biometrics

Fuck this, I started playing Minecraft again yesterday, first time in 10 years. It's developed really nicely over this time. I'm playing that today. Once I get over the "anger" for Red Dead Online I'll give it a go.