Nokia 2.3 review

CloudStroller

tl;dr: This phone is fine. If you just need the basics, and have a budget of ~R2.5k, it's a good choice.

I bought mine at Makro after my Nokia 8 died an ignominious death (possibly at the hands of a toddler, though it was giving problems for a while anyway).
Link: https://www.makro.co.za/electronics...nokia-2-3-cyan-green-/p/000000000000394951_EA

The good:
  • Up-to-date software with Android 10. No bloatware (except if you count a small "My Phone" app pre-installed by HMD Global). Everything stock Android.
  • Screen bright and crisp, with good colours. Though it's only a 720p screen, I can't discern individual pixels. I'm sure if I had a higher-res phone in the other hand to compare, I'd notice, but I don't, and this one seems more than good enough for me.
  • Cameras (both front and rear) are also surprisingly good. No Zeiss optics, but the pictures are decent so far.
  • 4000 mAh battery seems to hold up pretty well. I could probably squeeze two days without a charge, but in current work-from-home situation, this hasn't been necessary so far. So I let it stay between 30% and 80% to increase its service life.
  • Has a 3.5mm headphone jack!
The not-so-good:
  • The phone isn't fast. Booting takes a while, and I sometimes do wait a little while for heavier apps, but this is more the exception than the rule. It's not as smooth as my Nokia 8 with the high-end Snapdragon 835 in it, but it's also not slow enough to be frustrating. I'd say "adequate". Don't expect high-end games. Calls, messaging, basic web-browsing, emails, these all work just fine.
  • Charging port is micro-USB, and since the battery is quite big, it's not fast. It's a good couple of hours to get the charge from 30% to 80%.
  • Face-unlock only works some of the time. I'd say about 50% so far. A lot of the time I feel like an idiot just staring at my phone waiting for it to unlock. Sometimes it that the face unlock has failed and gives you numbers to put in a PIN, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't figured out whether there's an indication that it's trying to face-unlock or not.
  • Google Assistant button on the right side of the phone. Not configurable by default. Who thought this was a good idea? I remapped it to turn the torch on and off with a third-party app. (It took a couple of attempts to find a button-remapping app that actually recognised this button but I did get it in the end.)
  • No NFC. I enjoyed using tap-to-pay with my last phone, not an option anymore.
  • No 5 GHz wifi, only 2.4 GHz.
  • Headphones included in the box are very basic. Voice is completely audible and intelligible, but the music-listening experience is disappointing.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. I'm as much of a gadget nerd as the next man, but finances being what they are lately, I figured it wasn't justifiable to spend large amounts when a budget option would do the job just fine. It does have some compromises, but none of them are deal-breakers for me. It does its job of being a communication device, an e-reader and occasional camera very well. I don't watch movies or use it as a music player (I just never have used a phone for this really) but if you do, it could do the job well. Just budget for a nicer set of headphones if you don't already have some.

Icemanbrfc

Its okay.. for a little more, you could look at the Vivo Y11 with similar specs, but with a 5000mah battery

CloudStroller

Its okay.. for a little more, you could look at the Vivo Y11 with similar specs, but with a 5000mah battery

I actually didn't come across the Vivo while I was still looking. After checking it out, it does seem a pretty good option if you have a bigger budget and slightly different requirements.

I do like the Snapdragon processor and more RAM, so it's probably faster than the Nokia, and I do like the inclusion of a fingerprint reader (I prefer it over face unlock).
I don't think the 5000 mAh battery would really have added value (for me). The 4000 mAh in my Nokia already lasts much longer than I need it to. The Vivo is also on micro-USB instead of USB-C so it will take *even* longer to charge fully. (That being said, if you don't charge it fully, the battery will give you a better service life.)

I'm not sure about the software but my experience with Chinese makes (even more premium ones like Huawei and Xiaomi), I don't like the stuff that they add to stock Android. The Nokia is pretty much pure Android, 2 years OS updates, 3 years security, so there's value in that.

I also went with the Nokia in the end because I could walk into a shop and come out with the phone, I wouldn't have had to wait X business days for it to be delivered from some online retailer.

Icemanbrfc

I actually didn't come across the Vivo while I was still looking. After checking it out, it does seem a pretty good option if you have a bigger budget and slightly different requirements.

I do like the Snapdragon processor and more RAM, so it's probably faster than the Nokia, and I do like the inclusion of a fingerprint reader (I prefer it over face unlock).
I don't think the 5000 mAh battery would really have added value (for me). The 4000 mAh in my Nokia already lasts much longer than I need it to. The Vivo is also on micro-USB instead of USB-C so it will take *even* longer to charge fully. (That being said, if you don't charge it fully, the battery will give you a better service life.)

I'm not sure about the software but my experience with Chinese makes (even more premium ones like Huawei and Xiaomi), I don't like the stuff that they add to stock Android. The Nokia is pretty much pure Android, 2 years OS updates, 3 years security, so there's value in that.

I also went with the Nokia in the end because I could walk into a shop and come out with the phone, I wouldn't have had to wait X business days for it to be delivered from some online retailer.
Most of the Vivo devices you will now find in most retailers.. Vivo are starting to make their mark in the local market, so you will see their branding becoming alot more visible.

CloudStroller

Most of the Vivo devices you will now find in most retailers.. Vivo are starting to make their mark in the local market, so you will see their branding becoming alot more visible.
If my memory serves, it's the same parent company as Oppo?

I've not owned a Chinese phone at all yet. I've played around with a few. Generally not a positive experience, maybe I've just had bad luck. My brother has a Xiaomi, and he's happy with it. If there had been a Redmi 8A at my local Makro then I might have considered that one over the Nokia.

Icemanbrfc

If my memory serves, it's the same parent company as Oppo?

I've not owned a Chinese phone at all yet. I've played around with a few. Generally not a positive experience, maybe I've just had bad luck. My brother has a Xiaomi, and he's happy with it. If there had been a Redmi 8A at my local Makro then I might have considered that one over the Nokia.
Yeh other half of Oppo, much the same way as Honor and Huawei. Personally, im not fussed by the OS, pure android etc etc.. i use to root and load custom roms so it was never an issue. These days, ive gone back to what a phone is meant to do for me, calls, whatsapp, youtube and emails..so the look and feel and those things dont bother me anymore.

CloudStroller

Yeh other half of Oppo, much the same way as Honor and Huawei. Personally, im not fussed by the OS, pure android etc etc.. i use to root and load custom roms so it was never an issue. These days, ive gone back to what a phone is meant to do for me, calls, whatsapp, youtube and emails..so the look and feel and those things dont bother me anymore.
Look and feel is one thing, but bloat is another. At least with "pure" android, I can be assured that the OEM hasn't bogged the hardware down unnecessarily.

The problem with rooting & custom ROMs is the need to run banking apps - they don't like rooted phones AFAIK. I'm too old for all that nonsense anyway, I just want it to work ;-)