News bits

biometrics

I did two kitesurfing lessons of three and I know the harness has a fail safe mode, when you let go of the control bar then the kite has no power. So in this case it must have become stuck or he was unconscious when this all happened.

scudsucker

Knife-wielding roosters kill 2 men

Jings

Archeologists find traces of extra-terrestrial organic matter in millions years old rocks.

Nicholas

Archeologists find traces of extra-terrestrial organic matter in millions years old rocks.

Nicholas

I do wonder why an archaeology website would be covering this.

scudsucker

Geology is focused mineralogy, without the organic matter.
Paleontology is the study of fossils and organisms preserved in rocks, so would be the best fit.
Took my kids to the richest fossil site in RSA. Mostly mammals, which was a disappointment to my 5 yr old dinosaur obsessed son, but really worth while if you are ever near Langebaan

West Coast Fossil Park

My 7 yr old daughter wants to be both a paleontologist and a vetinarian. She doesn't yet realise the depth of study to achieve both these goals, but quite charmingly she realised that the two jobs are incompatible. She then chose to be a paleontologist during the week, and a vet on the weekend.

I encourage her in either career but she'll probably end up an accountant.

Last edited:

scudsucker

My son wants to be a paleontologist (copying his older sister) and a ninja.

I'm not sure if those two career paths have any overlap either, but I would like to see a somersaulting masked, black suited man leaping into an archeological dig, armed with nothing but a soft brush. Maybe a small trowel.

Jings

Adenoviruses can cause respiratory, eye and stomach infections. Health officials say two mutated adenovirus strains are responsible for the number of sick and dead children. The virus has also been found in Maharashtra and Karnataka states.

Helplines have been set up by the local government to handle calls from concerned parents, and the Health and Family Welfare Department has cancelled health workers’ leave to deal with the volume of cases. Clinics have been instructed to open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Protocols used during the Covid pandemic, such as mask-wearing and social distancing, are being introduced to slow infections, although schools have not been ordered to close.

“The magnitude and severity of the epidemic is unprecedented,” said paediatrician Apurba Ghosh.