Networking installations/Upgrades/DIY

Y2K

Let this be a thread for everything networking related, post guides, pics and reviews of network hardware/equipment.

Johnatan56

Back to on-topic:
Need a new router, old one is giving up after about 6 years, seems to not be able to handle the increase of devices over time since it starts bombing out when the ~20th device connects.

Thinking of getting a second Tenda AC8 for R800: https://scoop.co.za/tenda-dual-band-ac-6dbi-4-port-gigabit-router-ac8.html
Anything better out there in a similar price range?

Last edited:

powermzii

Back to on-topic:
Need a new router, old one is giving up after about 6 years, seems to not be able to handle the increase of devices over time since it starts bombing out when the ~20th device connects.

Thinking of getting a second Tenda AC8 for R800: https://scoop.co.za/tenda-dual-band-ac-6dbi-4-port-gigabit-router-ac8.html
Anything better out there in a similar price range?
Do you also want the router to serve WiFi or is this done by separate access points? If you are up for a learning curve you might be able to pick up a very capable Mikrotik hAP AC2 for slightly more....

Sent using Tapatalk

Y2K

So as you know I registered a business and have what I consider to be a medium sized installation.

The plan

I was approached by a client whom I had done business with before. He asked if I'd be able to design and deploy a network for their new premises.

I took measurements of the premises, climbed into the roof and had a look at the structure.

They would also require cameras installed outside with the ability to access everything remotely.

Lastly, the client's previous "tech" guy had installed a "server" on their premises with no "remote/cloud backup", the old place burnt down and they lost all their info.

They would also require Microsoft Office as they have new laptops, so going forward all machines will be running Onedrive with seperate backups to my private server.

I will personally be going around there once a month to retrieve a backup of all machines to a laptop that will never see an internet connection, (cheap but very effective method against ransomware.)

The hardware

I'm using 2 switches, one supports POE+ and can sense if the device supports POE.

Screenshot_20200625_220248.jpg
Screenshot_20200625_220622.jpg
Screenshot_20200625_220707.jpgScreenshot_20200625_220804.jpg
Screenshot_20200625_222116.jpg

I'm using 3 of these Ubiquiti access points, they'll be on the same SSID, paired with the cloud key it should make for a solid WiFi experience throughout the premises and they'll be able to roam seamlessly.

The laptops I've chosen is the Dell 3593 i5 10th generation which also supports m.2 drives, I always try and get clients to go SSD instead of HDD.

They've also requested 2 Dell monitors.

Overall I'm going to enjoy this installation, I love what I do.

biometrics

My setup is documented on MyBB:

Antennas:
2 x Poynting XPOL-6-10

LTE Routers:
1 x Huawei B315
1 x Huawei B525

Load Balancer:
1 x TP-Link TL-R470T+

Access Point (I had this old one lying around):
1 x TP-Link TL-WA5110G

16 Port Switch:
1 x D-Link DGS1016A

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

LD50

bookabooka lalala bajeto rabushnik vokorof

powermzii

1 x Huawei B618 with Telkom 200Gb sim (contract expires July)
1 x Huawei 5G CPE Pro with Rain 5G Unlimited

1 x Mikrotik hAP AC2 managing the 2 WAN router connections
WiFi is served via 3-pack Airties mesh setup
LAN is provided by 2 gigabit unmanaged 5port switches connected to the tik

FF are installing fibre in the area and should be donee in July so wondering whether to keep the Rain 5G and get fibre , downgrade it and keep as a backup or....

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: Y2K

Johnatan56

Do you also want the router to serve WiFi or is this done by separate access points? If you are up for a learning curve you might be able to pick up a very capable Mikrotik hAP AC2 for slightly more....

Sent using Tapatalk
Rather as one and replace when needed, don't think I will still be in this house to replace it the next time.
Don't see why I'd want an hAP AC2 if it's twice the cost for no benefit that I can see?

This is for a fiber connection, so only (gigabit) WAN port needed (all ports need to be Ethernet, beam forming is a requirement).

SauRoN

So as you know I registered a business and have what I consider to be a medium sized installation.

The plan

I was approached by a client whom I had done business with before. He asked if I'd be able to design and deploy a network for their new premises.

I took measurements of the premises, climbed into the roof and had a look at the structure.

They would also require cameras installed outside with the ability to access everything remotely.

Lastly, the client's previous "tech" guy had installed a "server" on their premises with no "remote/cloud backup", the old place burnt down and they lost all their info.

They would also require Microsoft Office as they have new laptops, so going forward all machines will be running Onedrive with seperate backups to my private server.

I will personally be going around there once a month to retrieve a backup of all machines to a laptop that will never see an internet connection, (cheap but very effective method against ransomware.)

The hardware

I'm using 2 switches, one supports POE+ and can sense if the device supports POE.

View attachment 3896
View attachment 3902
View attachment 3903View attachment 3904
View attachment 3905

I'm using 3 of these Ubiquiti access points, they'll be on the same SSID, paired with the cloud key it should make for a solid WiFi experience throughout the premises and they'll be able to roam seamlessly.

The laptops I've chosen is the Dell 3593 i5 10th generation which also supports m.2 drives, I always try and get clients to go SSD instead of HDD.

They've also requested 2 Dell monitors.

Overall I'm going to enjoy this installation, I love what I do.

I would consider maybe getting one Dream Machine (CloudKey + USG + AP) and then the additional access points.

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: Y2K