N00b Mac vs Windows Questions

biometrics

I have some questions and it's easier to ask in a friendly forum that google or reddit... some will seem stupid to regular Mac users. So far I've only used it for web/email/media, so far from a power user.

1. When I have more than one window open and the focus is on #1, to click a UI element in #2, like a button, I first have to click the window to get focus to it before I can click that element?
2. Why does Safari not suggest previous URLs I visited when I type part of it?

Johnatan56

I have some questions and it's easier to ask in a friendly forum that google or reddit... some will seem stupid to regular Mac users. So far I've only used it for web/email/media, so far from a power user.

1. When I have more than one window open and the focus is on #1, to click a UI element in #2, like a button, I first have to click the window to get focus to it before I can click that element?
1. Welcome to MacOS. Hack here: https://github.com/koekeishiya/yabai , you're looking for focus-follows-mouse
2. Usually it does? Do you have your auto clear history set to very short term?

SauRoN

1. So if you want to click an element you have to switch to it, or Use Command + ~.

On the flipside you can scroll other windows by just mousing over and then scrolling and not switching to it.

2. Safari does do this by default. Did you maybe turn Autofill off somehow? Check in Preferences.

Or maybe using Private Browsing? Then it won’t remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scudsucker

Get this. It is so fucking nice, yet so simple.

A window management tool, I really LOVE it

scudsucker

And another - not sure how much you travel or are on a wifi, but this is a pretty cool tool to manage your usage. I limit my connections when I am tethering my phone.
It costs R260, and the saving in fucking expensive RSA GBs has made it worthwhile

Düber

:p Since this is for NOOB questions...

How different is Mac OS from a version of linux like Debian for example.
Is the "repository" locked to Apple's own one? or do you get software in a different way?
Would you use the command line as much or do you just use the GUI as you might in windows to get things done.
And anything else that might be of interest.

My only experience with Apple was many years ago. We had an Apple || (still have it) as our first computer but migrated over to the IBM platform soon after once my dad saw we had an interest in it. So I never really did anything interesting with it aside from some games perhaps.

scudsucker

Is the "repository" locked to Apple's own one? or do you get software in a different way?

It is pretty much locked. Updates come via a GUI notification. You can probably do it via terminal (aka command line) but I have never tried.

Would you use the command line as much or do you just use the GUI as you might in windows to get things done.
I use it all the time. I like GUIs, I was a Windows dev (ASP, .NET etc) for quite a long time) but command line on Mac OS is so much better/easier than 'cmd' or 'powershell'. Not sure why though, perhaps unquantifiable and based on my personal preferences. Probably the *nix heritage of Mac OS.

My only experience with Apple was many years ago. We had an Apple || (still have it) as our first computer but migrated over to the IBM platform soon after once my dad saw we had an interest in it. So I never really did anything interesting with it aside from some games perhaps.

For me, it comes down to this: they are formidable machines, and my company pays for them.

If not for my company I would be using a middle range Dell running Windows/some *nix version (probably Ubuntu, because I do like a GUI). I would probably be similarly happy.

Last edited:

Spizz

Answered my own question, I'll try Tiles as it doesn't want any details or beg for money up front.

Johnatan56

Thanks, I'll see how I go with Tiles and give this and Veeer a try over the next few weeks.
I like Tiles as well, once you get used to one, just go with it. I installed Magnet originally on my friend's machine, then moved to Tiles, and he later on moved to Rectangle, but they're all good enough and no need to swap once you get used to it unless issues crop up (the M1 ARM release was an example of a lot of the add-ons breaking/having issues).

Magnet is paid though, but it works pretty nicely.
I prefer open source, so spectacle, but that got abandoned, rectangle is the successor, and most I know now use that instead (of even magnet).

SauRoN

Very similar command line.

Apple doesn’t have a repository so most people use “brew” for command like installs.

Default shell is ZSH.

AppStore is there for GUI stuff, otherwise direct installs from downloads.

If you are a regular Linux desktop user you’d use the MacOS command line just as much as you would the Linux one to achieve similar tasks. Very user dependant.

SauRoN

Hmm wonder why it didn't work for me before. Must have not used cmd.

Yeah muscle memory likely went to control.

And once you get used to Command you’ll find Alt+Tab ridiculously uncomfortable.

Last edited: