M1 Macs and Big Sur

SauRoN

Why not just backup and restore with Apple Configurator?

Not really understanding the use case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

biometrics

Why not just backup and restore with Apple Configurator?

Not really understanding the use case.

I want to be able to my clone my drive (OS and data) with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Plus is you can boot from the clone and test stuff there before committing to you main drive. Or you can revert from the clone to the main drive.

Probably just because of coming from Windows and I like being able to do that.

SauRoN

I want to be able to my clone my drive (OS and data) with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Plus is you can boot from the clone and test stuff there before committing to you main drive. Or you can revert from the clone to the main drive.

Probably just because of coming from Windows and I like being able to do that.

So just use Time Machine backups?

biometrics

Much better, with multiple revisions etc.

And you can “live boot” into it without even restarting.

Explain the live boot. I know I can boot from the cloned drive. I got the Mac a few months ago but haven’t transitioned yet (it is a mission so I usually delay moving to a new PC, and this is a new OS so a much bigger deal). I started the process a while ago finding the tools I’ll need:

I last used MacOS 20 years ago.

SauRoN

Explain the live boot. I know I can boot from the cloned drive. I got the Mac a few months ago but haven’t transitioned yet (it is a mission so I usually delay moving to a new PC, and this is a new OS so a much bigger deal). I started the process a while ago finding the tools I’ll need:

I last used MacOS 20 years ago.

You can log into any Time Machine backup in real time and go “back in time” right from inside the OS.

And you can very easily roll back to a given time and place so kind of reverse of what you are planning but much more efficient.

biometrics

You can log into any Time Machine backup in real time and go “back in time” right from inside the OS.

And you can very easily roll back to a given time and place so kind of reverse of what you are planning but much more efficient.

I got a 480GB Thunderbolt drive, the Mac has a 256GB drive so I guess I can partition the Thunderbolt drive and do both a clone and Time Machine? Best of both.

SauRoN

I got a 480GB Thunderbolt drive, the Mac has a 256GB drive so I guess I can partition the Thunderbolt drive and do both a clone and Time Machine? Best of both.

Needs to be the full drive if I recall.

But it also uses any free space on your SSD already for version control.

Bryn

Needs to be the full drive if I recall.

But it also uses any free space on your SSD already for version control.

I don't care much for Time Machine because all my apps and files uses cloud storage, but needing an entire drive is a bummer. My externals are all between 2TB and 8TB - dedicating one to backing up a 256GB SSD is a bit absurd.

I'll have to make sure my MBP later this year is at least 1TB I guess.

SauRoN

I don't care much for Time Machine because all my apps and files uses cloud storage, but needing an entire drive is a bummer. My externals are all between 2TB and 8TB - dedicating one to backing up a 256GB SSD is a bit absurd.

I'll have to make sure my MBP later this year is at least 1TB I guess.

I mean I’ve never bothered but possibly you can just partition it down to your requirements because that’s technically what I’ve don’t with my network drive version.

The more space the more version and further back in time you can go as with all backups.

Bryn

I mean I’ve never bothered but possibly you can just partition it down to your requirements because that’s technically what I’ve don’t with my network drive version.

The more space the more version and further back in time you can go as with all backups.

It might be something I care more about with a larger drive on my eventual MBP, but even then I'm not sure I'd care for it. The few times I've had to start from a blank desktop for some reason, I actually like the opportunity to scorch the Earth and start again. There are apps I seldom use, random crap left in app directories, other mysterious crud that OS's accumulate etc. My important stuff is meticulously organised in Google Drive and will sync in a few minutes. May as well spend a few minutes reinstalling the important apps and taking everything else as it comes.

SauRoN

It might be something I care more about with a larger drive on my eventual MBP, but even then I'm not sure I'd care for it. The few times I've had to start from a blank desktop for some reason, I actually like the opportunity to scorch the Earth and start again. There are apps I seldom use, random crap left in app directories, other mysterious crud that OS's accumulate etc. My important stuff is meticulously organised in Google Drive and will sync in a few minutes. May as well spend a few minutes reinstalling the important apps and taking everything else as it comes.

I had the same install running from OS X 10.3 on a PowerBook G4 all the way through to 10.14 as I recall over 10+ years and multiple other machines between MacBooks and iMacs from PowerPC over to Intel.

Amazingly I started using Time Machine since it existed but never ever actually needed it as I never had a hardware failure.

MacOS doesn’t have the crud problem if you have some self control.

The locally cached version is normally good enough to go back a day or three if you need a previous version of a file or something like that.

But yeah with all things cloud it’s less and less relevant and I really just backup a few of my hidden folders to Google Backup & Sync or my repo and everything else already lives on the cloud or isn’t important.